Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Sorry about being pedantic. If you do ever make the trip to Europe again, I honestly think the three events I posted above are much more suitable than Eurobike. That show has been getting less attractive for a while, but this year was really terrible - it seemed to have lost much of the atmosphere and attracted far less enthusiasts. And I'm in complete agreement with you that it's just boring to see every manufacturer just slapping a motor on their bike and calling it a day.
I'll be back. And probably around Eurobike time. Even though it was depressing this year. They blamed the date change and lack of consumer day (theoretically changes at the request of "the industry") and immediately changed back to old date and consumer day (at the request of "the industry").

I will still defend trade shows as rare opportunities to gather, meet old and new friends, see who went where, etc. This is especially true for people/companies that aren't displaying, but are attending. I can just ride around the beer garden and see plenty of people I might miss otherwise. And yes, there are even parts and stuff I want to see.

But for sure festivals are the way to go, especially once I have bikes to sell again (next year). So much good riding to be had around the world. The way I look at it, sell a bike, pay for a riding/working/vacation. Outerbike seems to be gaining momentum in the states, but I haven't gone yet.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'll be back. And probably around Eurobike time. Even though it was depressing this year. They blamed the date change and lack of consumer day (theoretically changes at the request of "the industry") and immediately changed back to old date and consumer day (at the request of "the industry").

I will still defend trade shows as rare opportunities to gather, meet old and new friends, see who went where, etc. This is especially true for people/companies that aren't displaying, but are attending. I can just ride around the beer garden and see plenty of people I might miss otherwise. And yes, there are even parts and stuff I want to see.

But for sure festivals are the way to go, especially once I have bikes to sell again (next year). So much good riding to be had around the world. The way I look at it, sell a bike, pay for a riding/working/vacation. Outerbike seems to be gaining momentum in the states, but I haven't gone yet.
Come to DirtFest again next Spring. I'll give the bike a whirl.

Hopefully its not a total shitshow mudfest again. :brows:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I just had to pedal them a little bit harder than this thing. You know... like that old fashioned less fun type of mountainbiking everyone did before motors. ;)
They're developing an app where you can have a real mtber come to your house and ride your bike for you. You'll love it, you don't even have to get off your ass at all!!

:monkeydance:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
By then, 32" wheels will be out and we'll "Strava the shit out of it" with the newest argument amongst the bicycle community.
By then, the sunspot flare storm will have occurred and nothing with wires will work anymore. We'll see who's laughing then.

I'll probably be stuck on a ski lift

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Come to DirtFest again next Spring. I'll give the bike a whirl.

Hopefully its not a total shitshow mudfest again. :brows:
That was kind of unfortunate. I really couldn't get in to watching my brand new demo bikes with Eagle drivetrain getting grinded into paste. I'm thinking there's got to be a better time frame than spring in Penn. I wouldn't have one in Indy in May. Rain almost guaranteed.

Anything else in the fall? in the "mid-east"? I will be at Thunder Mtn with a few bikes after Interbike, sept 29/30. Kind of a family thing, but a good excuse to get riding in and let some people take a few rides. No tent or rig or whatever, staying in a condo and driving a minivan

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Así with heavier drugs, you have to hook 'em young into crabon to maximize profit!

http://reviews.mtbr.com/strider-12-st-r-balance-bike-has-carbon-frame

That is sofa king cool. When I was a kid, we would go to the dumps and I would dig out frames and wheels and stuff to build a bike to ride.

Now, I'm having a flashback, wandering around the dumps, 6 yrs old, stepping on rusty nails ....and I find carbon frames.....yay!!!!

And they're all broken and overexposed to UV and laying at the bottom of the ocean of the coast of the country that can't be named.

Slap a motor and battery on them and create a new E-balance segment

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
You're not giving enough credence to how funny the video footage of small children crashing on 20mph e-striders would be.
Featuring the ability to go up to 15 mph and a high-torque 24-volt electric motor, this girls' Surge electric city scooter will thrill your stylish speedster.

PRODUCT FEATURES

• Twist-grip acceleration control
  • Comfortable padded saddle
  • Large 12" pneumatic tires for a smooth ride
  • Rear hand brake
PRODUCT DETAILS

• Ages 12 years & older

Ok, bear with me, this thing RETAILS for $279. The Strider Carbon retails for $899. Same size wheels, for whatever that's worth. The striders' claim?? It's light. Light, who cares when you're juicin?

Fuck that, we strip some plastic off, put some footpegs on and who cares if it's light. With the money saved on plastic we can get it below $200 MSRP.

And smoke those other losers before they get their diapers off. who's juicin now?

It WILL THRILL YOUR STYLISH SPEEDSTER!!!!!
esurge.jpg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Featuring the ability to go up to 15 mph and a high-torque 24-volt electric motor, this girls' Surge electric city scooter will thrill your stylish speedster.

PRODUCT FEATURES

• Twist-grip acceleration control
  • Comfortable padded saddle
  • Large 12" pneumatic tires for a smooth ride
  • Rear hand brake
PRODUCT DETAILS

• Ages 12 years & older

Ok, bear with me, this thing RETAILS for $279. The Strider Carbon retails for $899. Same size wheels, for whatever that's worth. The striders' claim?? It's light. Light, who cares when you're juicin?

Fuck that, we strip some plastic off, put some footpegs on and who cares if it's light. With the money saved on plastic we can get it below $200 MSRP.

And smoke those other losers before they get their diapers off. who's juicin now?

It WILL THRILL YOUR STYLISH SPEEDSTER!!!!!View attachment 130199
IN

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
To be fair Sandro, for riding on a long gravel road, that bike is probably up there for being comfortable. It's better than some of the other gravel bikes that have come out.

Still, its a long way from what they should really be getting:

KTM-640-Adventure.jpg

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
That short link rear end probably has awesome pedaling characteristics. Shame about the lack of chain and pedals then.

Really impressive project though, I totally missed the homemade triple clamp upside down carbon fork when i first saw it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
That short link rear end probably has awesome pedaling characteristics. Shame about the lack of chain and pedals then.
no doubt. maybe this platform was intended to be ported over to a pedal bike; just saving design work. sick design / fabrication skills, regardless. as a first bike, dad is just setting up the kid for a world of future disappointment.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Does redbull not broadcasting world champs in Canada count? Because that seems pretty industry side of things, and a pretty big fuck you to a major market all at once.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Last time I was in such a bad mood was last year when I realized I couldn't watch the 2017 World Champs.
:wtf:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Does redbull not broadcasting world champs in Canada count? Because that seems pretty industry side of things, and a pretty big fuck you to a major market all at once.
Probably more of a UCI than a Redbull thing.
I think it's because a Canadian broadcaster bought the rights to show it in Murica's top hat, so RB aren't allowed to show it.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Probably more of a UCI than a Redbull thing.
I think it's because a Canadian broadcaster bought the rights to show it in Murica's top hat, so RB aren't allowed to show it.
I would love to know who that broadcaster would be... AFAIK, the race won't be broadcasted at all.

They pretty much only broadcast fucking hockey here anyway...and possibly curling in some provinces.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah I'm not sure who's at fault here, redbull or the UCI, but seems to me like somebody fucked up big time. That's a lot of customers to give the finger to

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Last time I was in such a bad mood was last year when I realized I couldn't watch the 2017 World Champs.
:wtf:
It seems the Live Feed and Replay will be available on RedBullTV in Canada and South Africa. Yay!

Excellent news!