Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Awesome to see the coil Marzocchi. I just wish they'd revamped the RC4 for it instead of the Van RC. I guess they probably didn't want to create a 'budget' shock that is better than the X2.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Also, spare parts well into the future for the RC4 nerds (including swanky black bodies and shafts if desired).
The RC4 main piston and superior neck compression assembly + piggyback should bolt right onto those shocks, which means old DH bike shocks can easily become nice enduro shocks (or nicely refreshed DH shocks).

Prices on current "high end" shocks (that in almost all cases perform inferior to the old gear) are getting ludicrous.
I'm all for this since it supports both the reasonably-priced market as well as the peak performance milkers.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Available in trunion 185x55 :thumb:
Need to call Craig to see if this may be a better choice than the RS SuperDeluxe RCT coil as a base for tuning....
I'm guessing a bit of time to get hands on, but if it is a slightly reworked VanRC then the possibilities are there.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Available in trunion 185x55 :thumb:
Need to call Craig to see if this may be a better choice than the RS SuperDeluxe RCT coil as a base for tuning....
I'm guessing a bit of time to get hands on, but if it is a slightly reworked VanRC then the possibilities are there.
Thinking the same thing.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
poignant comment as the original pipeline, which had that color scheme, had a vanilla R IIRC.
that Pipedream looks like a really cool bike. I did 5 minutes of digging around yesterday and couldn't find much info on it. it was a custom creation for Swade, but he still seems to be riding it a year on in... I wonder if there's some magic sauce to it?

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
that Pipedream looks like a really cool bike. I did 5 minutes of digging around yesterday and couldn't find much info on it. it was a custom creation for Swade, but he still seems to be riding it a year on in... I wonder if there's some magic sauce to it?
Since it’s a one off I’d guess they made the geo specific for him.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
ASI, owners of Fuji and Breezer, buy out Performance in what is seen as a brilliant move, giving them the largest chain of brick and mortar shops as well as strong online presence. Performance is already maybe the largest Fuji dealer.

but it turns out, Perf owes ASI a ton of money. Maybe part of the reason they bought them.....but it put them under.

ASI goes bankrupt. IDEAL bikes, partners with ASI, get stuck with inventory they are not allowed to sell. but the do anyway, complicating bankruptcy

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2019/01/22/gosh-awful-mess-—-head-wants-re-auction-ase-assets#.XFBdYVxKguU

A few years ago, I was very close to licensing to ASI/Ideal. It would have been a joint deal with both companies. Meetings in PA and Taipei.

I backed out. It didn't seem right. They went with the "M" Link, which was already in devo but they didn't like it.

Breathing a little relief right now. People ask me why I haven't licensed it yet. There have been multiple offers, but damn, this is one of the reasons why.

In the meantime, I can happily make my own little batch and get paid to ride my bike,

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Wait, so I can combine parts of this with my fat shaft 2012 RC4?
Likely, you always could with the Van RC too and this looks like mostly the same thing.
But last I checked Fox still document and sell parts for your shock too (you can fit small shaft parts to it as well, as long as you change all the parts that the shaft depends on - eg. seal head and eyelet). May be more cost effective if you only need a few bits.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nah, yo. SRAM invented Gripshift. That was their first product in 1990. Then they made the ESP derailleurs. Then they bought Sachs in 1997. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRAM_Corporation#History
I think Sachs was making the "attack" series gripshifters independent from SRAM, which were compatible with shimano derailleurs. I don't think they pre-dated the original gripshitters, but I'm pretty sure Sachs came out with them very soon after and then the product lines merged after they were bought.

Membe X-rays?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think the X-rays came out with the 800 series grip shift? They were black initially, and much bigger than they ended up being.