Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
How grippy are they compared to 5.10?
To be honest they just got here yesterday and I am on the fence as to if they fit or not, might need to swap them for a half size larger. I recently wore out my impact XVI's, which despite the mentally ill wrestler aesthetics were pretty light and dried fast. These seem to be a similar all around shoe and I personally think they look great in person. I'll know on the grip soon but I also don't need much, I typically remove a few pins if I am using a sticky shoe like this.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Mountain Creek is what's wrong with The Industry™ right naow.

This year it's F'ing redicoulous.

I've been going there 17 or 18 years now. In the beginning a pass was $100 or $150. That's not much. But they put in some BIG stuff those first couple years. Dominion, RTN, Waterboy, Alpine, Indy, Tempest... ENTIRE TRAILS! Now Indy and Domboo, Outlaw and Alpine are as rough as a Pennsylvania Interstate. They reworked indy 3 years ago and it was fantastic. Now it's back to its rutted self.
No new trails in a couple years.
The RTN drop is tipped.
Season passes are pushing $400 for the "early bird" deal.

But the biggest kick in the balls this year is the parking.
If you show up after 8am practically, you have to pay $20 to park where we've parked for years. They only allow 20 cars with bikes to park in the main lot and you have to park on the one side only. I saw them run in, yelling at a guy to park in a specified spot.
Yesterday, there were 3 spots available... Wide open when I got there and they told us they can't allow us to park there.
People have bitched to Tim the bike park manager and he just says "that's what management wants" and shrugs his shoulders.

Do other mountains charge for parking?

$$$ let's make more $$$. But let's not put it into the mountain...

Now I understand why my buddy's bought that other pass. Next year I'll do the same and travel more. Maybe I'm just whining. Maybe I'm just sick of paying more every year and seeing less and less.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mountain Creek is what's wrong with The Industry™ right naow.

This year it's F'ing redicoulous.

I've been going there 17 or 18 years now. In the beginning a pass was $100 or $150. That's not much. But they put in some BIG stuff those first couple years. Dominion, RTN, Waterboy, Alpine, Indy, Tempest... ENTIRE TRAILS! Now Indy and Domboo, Outlaw and Alpine are as rough as a Pennsylvania Interstate. They reworked indy 3 years ago and it was fantastic. Now it's back to its rutted self.
No new trails in a couple years.
The RTN drop is tipped.
Season passes are pushing $400 for the "early bird" deal.

But the biggest kick in the balls this year is the parking.
If you show up after 8am practically, you have to pay $20 to park where we've parked for years. They only allow 20 cars with bikes to park in the main lot and you have to park on the one side only. I saw them run in, yelling at a guy to park in a specified spot.
Yesterday, there were 3 spots available... Wide open when I got there and they told us they can't allow us to park there.
People have bitched to Tim the bike park manager and he just says "that's what management wants" and shrugs his shoulders.

Do other mountains charge for parking?

$$$ let's make more $$$. But let's not put it into the mountain...

Now I understand why my buddy's bought that other pass. Next year I'll do the same and travel more. Maybe I'm just whining. Maybe I'm just sick of paying more every year and seeing less and less.
re: parking. blame the waterpark.

also, shit started going south there when they fired Marc.

basically, mt creek is being turned into a resort to bilk long islanders of their money. remember a few years ago after they fired marc and they had no regional races (ESC) and the US open almost didn't happen?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Don't even get me started on bad bike parks...if we want to ride local it's 7 Springs...If you want to get hurt, go ride that place, anybody could get hurt given the rotting nature of the trails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Can you do shuttle runs up the access roads? Then you wouldn’t have to “park” as such.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Depends what you like but I would suggest going down to Big Bear WV if you are in the general area. The trails down there are phenomenal. Allegripis is boring as hell IMO, big bear has better more interesting trails.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Depends what you like but I would suggest going down to Big Bear WV if you are in the general area. The trails down there are phenomenal. Allegripis is boring as hell IMO, big bear has better more interesting trails.
allegripis is pretty mellow. but more importantly its less out of the way when traveling from philly

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I had some great times at Mountain Creek, but what you guys are saying sounds terrible. I doubt I'd be paying $ to ride it if I was still there.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
On a related note, trunion shocks can fuck right off too. Single shear bolts with female threads in an aluminum shock body. Bullshit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

Some poor bastard goober roadie is going to get that and think it's the coolest fucking shit ever.

How fucking hard is it to learn to use your brakes?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went to a bike shop on the weekend that had a "dream build" Scott XC bike of some sort.

It had a price tag listed at $17995. Like what in the hell?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Went to a bike shop on the weekend that had a "dream build" Scott XC bike of some sort.

Not even $20k? Peasants!

But really, what kind of poor management is that shop being run by, why in the fook would you bring in the most expensive parts possible and then assemble them onto a bike? The guy buying those parts isn't going to accept a $5k wheelset if it's previously had tires mounted to it. What's the likelihood of somebody wanting that particular bike, in that size, with exactly those parts? Zero chance, some of that shit is coming off and being sold on ebay in 3 years for 74% off.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Someone on another forum made a point that both e-bikes and increasing bike prices are potentially being driven by a bike shop industry that is looking to becoming a finance broking industry to save itself. Much like the motorbike shops are staying afloat by shifting quads/three wheelers and finance packages to mid-life crisis types, bike shops facing increasing competition from online retailers are shifting to e-bikes/boutique brands and finance packages.

Even the Giants/Kona/Trek/Specializeds of the world are putting out top models now that are $15,000 AUD.

Did it come with a free Kate Courtney included?
eFfmdb3.jpg