Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
And we thought Special Ed was bad. Here's a bunch of assholes I'll refuse to do business with. Though I can't say I've ever purchased anything from them in the past.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And we thought Special Ed was bad. Here's a bunch of assholes I'll refuse to do business with. Though I can't say I've ever purchased anything from them in the past.

Damn...they deserve to burn. I agree that common words and colors should not be trademarked.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What brand would declare their frames above USD 600 FOB in your opinion?
Santa Cruz

Not affected by this because exclusive and taiwan but that's an example.

I'm trying to think of chinese frames I've seen that compare...........pivot maybe?

I mean the whole reason the china frame business exists is because of cheap labor, shitty environmental control, shitty worker treatment, all things that make cheap. So forcing the cheap end deliberately just seems.......nevermind. It seems entirely american.

Single use plastics indeed.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
So forcing the cheap end deliberately just seems.......nevermind. It seems entirely american.

That's the point, the proposed cutoff price to avoid tariffs is high enough to make not only cheap unbranded frames into the US. Most of the US "big" brands are declaring their frames BELOW those 600 bucks, and to me that's the biggest scandal, every single US brand who makes their frames in China is profitting massively. How comes a sub USD 600 frame ends up with a MSRP of 2-3 K?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pretty sure SC carbon comes out of china.
Quite the commute

Maybe something changed but their plastic was taiwanese, with an exclusive manufacturing license for bikes on the plant. Hence SC bars and rims. My v10 had a TW sticker. It was shiny so you know it's true.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's the point, the proposed cutoff price to avoid tariffs is high enough to make not only cheap unbranded frames into the US. Most of the US "big" brands are declaring their frames BELOW those 600 bucks, and to me that's the biggest scandal, every single US brand who makes their frames in China is profitting massively. How comes a sub USD 600 frame ends up with a MSRP of 2-3 K?
You're saying all the things I implied just fyi ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, the $600 import price is almost certainly the bare frame without shock, right? It's still a big ass markup, but that shrinks it a bit.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Fuck private equity.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Santa Cruz

Not affected by this because exclusive and taiwan but that's an example.

I'm trying to think of chinese frames I've seen that compare...........pivot maybe?

I mean the whole reason the china frame business exists is because of cheap labor, shitty environmental control, shitty worker treatment, all things that make cheap. So forcing the cheap end deliberately just seems.......nevermind. It seems entirely american.

Pretty sure pivot is Taiwan as well. Most high end stuff isn't made in China anymore.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Okay, I don't know any other way to say this, unless something has changed recently..........santa cruz makes santa cruz bikes for all intents and purposes. No the COO of Pon holdings isn't laying up carbon, but the only other frames made where SC frames are......are SC. Maybe a parent company runs the plant, but it's exclusive.

I know a guy

It doesn't matter though. Apparently there just aren't any high quality frames coming out of china. I just picked SC as a good quality frame that IF it were made in china would qualify for $601 product.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:twitch:

Going to sit this here:

well they know their target audience.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
:twitch:

Going to sit this here:

Reminds me of: https://www.wired.com/2014/12/silca-superpista-floor-pump/

1573826736041.png

Some shop donated one to one of our trails fundraisers last year. One of my drunk friends bid on it and ended up having to buy it, lol. I'm not sure what he got it for, but I know it wasn't a "steal", I think he was at least up in the 400-500 range, close to retail, lol. And I got me a $20 high volume pump from Kroeger that is outstanding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Reminds me of: https://www.wired.com/2014/12/silca-superpista-floor-pump/

View attachment 138568

Some shop donated one to one of our trails fundraisers last year. One of my drunk friends bid on it and ended up having to buy it, lol. I'm not sure what he got it for, but I know it wasn't a "steal", I think he was at least up in the 400-500 range, close to retail, lol. And I got me a $20 high volume pump from Kroeger that is outstanding.
less precise that the enve doo-dad

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Plus, I hope your garage is the exact same temperature as where you will be riding...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Plus, I hope your garage is the exact same temperature as where you will be riding...
Boyle's law, boo yah. I actually set my tire pressures on my cars with this in mind, knowing what I want them to be at at 15 F up in the mountains.

:D