Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just bought a $12 thru axle, and given the range of prices for those, it's clear that the majority of them are catalog items.

It would suck to have one let go on A-line due to a void in the aluminum or whatever.

Is anyone making 12mm T/As in ti? I had a boat anchor of a steel one back in the day on an Iron Horse 7point.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just bought a $12 thru axle, and given the range of prices for those, it's clear that the majority of them are catalog items.

It would suck to have one let go on A-line due to a void in the aluminum or whatever.

Is anyone making 12mm T/As in ti? I had a boat anchor of a steel one back in the day on an Iron Horse 7point.
They had to go to a Ti axle for Cessnas up here, cuz they kept breaking.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
So a bike fails catastrophically, and a tester ends up in the hospital.

RM's response is basically "Weird, no clue why that happened, but based on absolutely nothing at all, we think the rest are safe to ride, probably"

RM is universally praised in the PB comment's section for their "great" response.

Makes Pole and Yeti look good to be honest.

On that same note, credit where credit is due, PB handled that fairly well. There's no way Enduro bikes weren't going to be the final test group, putting this turd up first was as un-clickbaity as they could have gotten. Allowing the manufacturers of the failed frames to respond was more than fair.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I've had probably 4 broken axel bolts on my V10, every bolt broke at the exact same spot. Pretty annoying that such a expensive "toy" can such problems. Everything can brake but if it brakes multiple times then it really is a engineering fault.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So a bike fails catastrophically, and a tester ends up in the hospital.

RM's response is basically "Weird, no clue why that happened, but based on absolutely nothing at all, we think the rest are safe to ride, probably"

RM is universally praised in the PB comment's section for their "great" response.

Makes Pole and Yeti look good to be honest.

On that same note, credit where credit is due, PB handled that fairly well. There's no way Enduro bikes weren't going to be the final test group, putting this turd up first was as un-clickbaity as they could have gotten. Allowing the manufacturers of the failed frames to respond was more than fair.
Devil’s advocate POV from a Rocky rider, if it was indeed just the axle, (either faulty, undertorqued, or overtorqued) the burden is only partly on Rocky. If they can’t replicate the failure in any way, what exactly are they supposed to do?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Trek...

It reminds me of Trek. Their chainstays break in the same spot for decades. It's right by the weld. I called them myself from the bike shop and told the guy at Trek where it broke. He said "We've never heard of this before.". That pissed me off. I said "Bullshit. This is my third one."

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Trek...

It reminds me of Trek. Their chainstays break in the same spot for decades. It's right by the weld. I called them myself from the bike shop and told the guy at Trek where it broke. He said "We've never heard of this before.". That pissed me off. I said "Bullshit. This is my third one."
He probably thought you said brakes.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Trek...

I've had multiple, similar conversations with Shimano people, some of whom I know and otherwise trust, and all of whom looked me straight in the eye and completely denied any knowledge of the wandering bite point issue.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
I've had multiple, similar conversations with Shimano people, some of whom I know and otherwise trust, and all of whom looked me straight in the eye and completely denied any knowledge of the wandering bite point issue.
About 4 or 5 years ago I was at a race day where Shimano was doing neutral support, and also warranties. I cashed out a set of wandering XTRs at the beginning of the day, and at the end of the day a set of wandering Saints (after I was done using them), both to the same mechanic. He gave me the same "huh, that's weird, never seen that before" response both times. I am convinced there is some corporate directive from on high to actively pretend the issue does not exist. At least SRAM will acknowledge their shit is shitty when it shits the bed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
About 4 or 5 years ago I was at a race day where Shimano was doing neutral support, and also warranties. I cashed out a set of wandering XTRs at the beginning of the day, and at the end of the day a set of wandering Saints (after I was done using them), both to the same mechanic. He gave me the same "huh, that's weird, never seen that before" response both times. I am convinced there is some corporate directive from on high to actively pretend the issue does not exist. At least SRAM will acknowledge their shit is shitty when it shits the bed.
Yeah, we really need to call them on this at every event shimano attends. It came down to a "you should get a couple seasons out of them"...and then we are waiting for a massive lever seal failure and possible death. I would make as big of a scene as possible about this.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Devil’s advocate POV from a Rocky rider, if it was indeed just the axle, (either faulty, undertorqued, or overtorqued) the burden is only partly on Rocky. If they can’t replicate the failure in any way, what exactly are they supposed to do?
If it was a faulty axle, then what other Rocky's have defective axles? If they suspected installer error, they probably should have said so, even if it came off a little cunty to blame it on Pink Bike.

Even if they're assuming it was an unrepeatable freak manufacturing error, the thing to say is "We're still trying to track down the cause, but we're confident this was a one-off event" that would at least give some basis for their claim that the rest of them are safe. Their argument now is that this was the first time it ever happened, so it'll probably never happen again, which isn't very reassuring.

Really, I'd have just gone with the Yeti "pre-production" line if I wasn't going to float an actual theory on the failure, people make fun of Yeti for it, but based on how many I see on the trail it didn't seem to hurt.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Bedtimes?
What are you going to sodo....
Um never mind i dont wanna know

Also um i thought udi was token?
Now kidwoo and udi are both token?
Assimilation into
kiUDwIoo "the singularity"

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
$19,200 for the top specced e-fat-dh-bike...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I'm considering a fat FS bike for next season...we don't really get snow much anymore...it all melted today.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You can crack Bucksaws for pretty damn cheap, if you are serious.
Not what I'm thinking and there may be no acceptable frame at that time, something semi-aggressive that has decent geometry.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Needs spot lights and some camo paint. Cabelas would sell the shit out of that.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm considering a fat FS bike for next season...we don't really get snow much anymore...it all melted today.
The owner of Fatback bikes did some cutting and welding to create a Fat Trail Pistol. He wanted us to produce them (we do not yet have the capacity). Maybe ask him if he wants to make one more.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The owner of Fatback bikes did some cutting and welding to create a Fat Trail Pistol. He wanted us to produce them (we do not yet have the capacity). Maybe ask him if he wants to make one more.
I've seen Greg's bike many times. It is badass.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

What's next? $800 super brakes?

Last edited: