Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm considering a fat FS bike for next season...we don't really get snow much anymore...it all melted today.
I can’t imagine there being no snow anymore lowdown. That sounds terrible. Another Alaskan friend said last week that she was riding bikes way more in the winter due to less snow. Here’s a pic from 1999 I think. The resort closed with 3 feet of fresh powder that spring.
C92844D4-4AAA-4940-A2D7-7474BE21133A.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We got a dump last night, but not after 50 degrees F and rain melting all of the previous snow. It's wild. That's why I think a mid-long travel aggressive FS fattie that can do fats in the winter and skinny in the summer might be a good ticket. Maybe 120-140mm travel, but towards more aggressive riding. Put fat studded tires on it in the winter and just ride whatever, total frozen ice like last week, or trails.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Old but still disappointing.... 10 speed chains falling apart way too soon. Funnily enough, this happened on the section known as "Sh1t'n gears" :banghead::sarcastic::sarcastic:

Screenshot_20200104-204259_Gallery.jpg

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeti.jpg

1578242374519.png

It's good to know that a majority of the threads are engaged, and of those threads that are engaged, they are fully engaged.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
choose your own, too lazy to post all

although it isnt pretty its clearly developed using FEA. I think its a neat EXCERCISE and im glad someone is doing it. However if a bike is built that way bending one of those "bones" from impact may result in the thing basically imploding.

Havent you ever looked at a carbon frame and thought geez looks too similar to how theyd build it from aluminum. They are mostly built traditional and conservative from a composit perspective imo.

Then everyone thinks their brand does super FEA but they are probably like norco draw it stylish and thats it!

Even mondraker (i own a summum) drew the frame on a napkin so you know for sure that the frames design is stiff, light, and strong as if developed with FEA right?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
although it isnt pretty its clearly developed using FEA. I think its a neat EXCERCISE and im glad someone is doing it. However if a bike is built that way bending one of those "bones" from impact may result in the thing basically imploding.

Havent you ever looked at a carbon frame and thought geez looks too similar to how theyd build it from aluminum. They are mostly built traditional and conservative from a composit perspective imo.

Then everyone thinks their brand does super FEA but they are probably like norco draw it stylish and thats it!

Even mondraker (i own a summum) drew the frame on a napkin so you know for sure that the frames design is stiff, light, and strong as if developed with FEA right?
Looks ready for Redbull.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What was the product there? A different way to actuate the drivetrain? What a disaster.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
everything will be an e-bike next year

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Roadies are a few steps above when it comes to "what's wrong with the industry"...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This kind of shit makes me crazy...i get not riding w/ a pack but at some point you just need to bite the bullet. I think a friend of mine and I counted you can put 7 waterbottles on a salsa warbird. Obviously salsa didn't intend that to happen but it is possible.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This kind of shit makes me crazy...i get not riding w/ a pack but at some point you just need to bite the bullet. I think a friend of mine and I counted you can put 7 waterbottles on a salsa warbird. Obviously salsa didn't intend that to happen but it is possible.
right? when it's super hot out and i need to carry enough water to survive an hour in 90+ degree heat you bet i'm riding with a pack.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Isn’t the point on ‘adventure/bikepacking ’ bikes like the salsa that you use some bosses for water, and some of those bosses for racks/carry anything cages with all your camping kit etc.

and if you’re doing overnights, having a few extra litres of water strapped to your fork legs to then swap out for your empty frame bottles also makes a lot of sense.

Now, designing a full suspension mountain bike to golf 4 bottles seems a bit much to me. There does have to be a line

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Isn’t the point on ‘adventure/bikepacking ’ bikes like the salsa that you use some bosses for water, and some of those bosses for racks/carry anything cages with all your camping kit etc.

and if you’re doing overnights, having a few extra litres of water strapped to your fork legs to then swap out for your empty frame bottles also makes a lot of sense.

Now, designing a full suspension mountain bike to golf 4 bottles seems a bit much to me. There does have to be a line
Not really, you generally don't ride around with tons of water on the frame, just a couple bottles or canisters, but usually not both. You are usually operating with water sources when bikepacking, like boiling or filtering water to replenish.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Not really, you generally don't ride around with tons of water on the frame, just a couple bottles or canisters, but usually not both. You are usually operating with water sources when bikepacking, like boiling or filtering water to replenish.
and then you reach a place where resupply points are far away. what do you do then? exactly, you pack in as much as you can...