Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I stand corrected, thanks. Down here the line between gravelers and roadies tend to blur.
No question, gravel riding is road riding, you ride in peletons drafting, water bottles, etc. It only gets hilarious when I'm behind them on my 22lb fatbike in the draft and then we get to a chunky DH and I'm just gone. I try to cut the corners into the loose gravel to get them to either follow (crash) or leave the draft. Worst situation is when someone is following me and I'm out front. I can't get above like 15mph or so because of wind drag. As compared to cross racing, the fatbike (with 3.8 tires) isn't that sucky in gravel, especially chunky gravel. In cross racing, it's real sucky. They keep telling me I should buy a gravel bike (for the 4 races we have, wtf?). Sure. When I stop getting top 10 on a freaking fatbike.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Didn't bother watching, but the title says it all. If your trails have been IMBA'ed then maybe this will make them spicy again.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Didn't bother watching, but the title says it all. If your trails have been IMBA'ed then maybe this will make them spicy again.

Fuck this shit! Seriously. That's like thinking about sex when you can actually enjoy it. No, no and no.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The heck is this all about?

Like some of the comments say, one of the great things about shopping online is that I don't have to waste time talking to someone.
Bingo. I don't want to spend time assessing whether the shop rat I'm talking to knows more than me or not. There are some really knowledgeable people out there, and there are some duds. It's not possible to tell which is which just because they work at a shop.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
40mm wide rims and he can't understand why it folded like a tin can?

Also...40mm wide rims, why?

:edit: oh I see the stoopid 3" tires now. Bouncy mcbouncebounce

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Breaking your home made carbon bar on a small drop trying to impress a 12 year old and then asking "how did I just crash, surely it's not the fault of the hybrid steel/carbon bars I made myself" .

It might not be what's wrong with the industry on a whole, but Pete Verdones inability to accept that his bike broke due to his poor design and riding skills is hilarious.
I don't know about calling that spot "full enduro", or classifying any of those "chutes" as having a real drop. I grew up at the bottom of that hill, and was riding down those on sketchy 90s hardtails. Props to him for trying out his crazy ideas though.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Breaking your home made carbon bar on a small drop trying to impress a 12 year old and then asking "how did I just crash, surely it's not the fault of the hybrid steel/carbon bars I made myself" .

It might not be what's wrong with the industry on a whole, but Pete Verdones inability to accept that his bike broke due to his poor design and riding skills is hilarious.

I greatly enjoy reading his site, some seriously mad-scientist stuff going on there. Definitely wouldn't ride any of it, but glad he does.

Side note: that is the weirdest rim failure I have ever seen. Not even sure how it gets bent outwards from the inside.

Cause of failure is obvious: shitty carbon tube in the handlebar, excessive porosity induces stress concentration and fracture propagates from there, possibly fatigue mechanism.

His proposed inspection method will not detect porosity, he needs to talk to an actual NDI tech.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, if gravel bikes are the answer I don't want to know the question.

Yo, so honest question...how many of us are "overbiked"? It's certainly nice to have a serious bike that can handle aggressive downhills, but how many times are those present, and how often could you be 90% as fast on a lighter and simpler bike?

I wish they had added an enduro bike to the same trail in order to see comparable speed...but then again, horses for courses. I know that folks out west grind up dirt roads so they can get multiple mile-long descents. Just because my trails suxx0rz, doesn't mean theirs does.