Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Those rules are retarded:

Outline rules:
  • We will use EWS, EWS100 concept for pro/am in EWS-E and replace the EWS80 with EWS-E50.
  • EWS-E100 racers will need 2 batteries. EWS-E50 racers will be able to complete to course with only one battery (50% of the course)
  • Our race will be 1 day, 6-7 special stages including one very short very technical climb as a special stage
  • Same as EWS enduro rules, all special stages are timed and all special stages count towards the final time and therefore race result
  • The course will be 3 loops (minimum of 2 different loops) with 2-3 special stages in each loop. Each loop will take about 1hr - 1:30hr to complete and with about 1000m climbing. So total bike riding time in a 1 day race will be circa 4hr and 3,000m climbing.
  • Liaison times will be very tight, so we will award many small penalties for late starters, this is to bring the liaison into the race
  • Each loop will be split with a 40 minute rest in the paddock (for battery change, mechanical assistance and athlete recovery)
  • We will use our Queen Stage concept in EWS (1 stage carries bonus series points). These will be called Power Stages
  • Riders are not allowed to carry spare batteries on their person (they can carry them on their bike)
  • There will be no technical restrictions on batteries etc as we believe technology needs maximum opportunity to innovate and grow and it’s already moving at a very fast rate
  • All bikes must be limited to EU regulations for e-bike/pedelec (25kmph)
  • Walk function allowed but only in factory settings

Absolutely NOTHING in there about max torque or max output wattage. so in theory you could run a 120NM, 920w max bike with a massive battery so long as it was attached to the bike and use it in full boost for every single stage. so long as it was capped at a max of 25kmh assistance.
Running against a Shimano motor (70NM) or even a 90NM 700ish w max Jesus Levo motor you'd lose out by 10s of seconds to someone of the same weight/fitness on some of the climbing stages and a fair bit on any of those short rises that seem pretty common in Derp racing.

Expect a pointless motor torque/max wattage arms race.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Toshi
EU class 1 Pedalec (Emtb) regulations just stipulate
"a motor of no more than 250w of continuous rated power and which is only to be activated by pedalling"
EWS fannies "Oh.. right, so they're already regulated?" "cool" = $$ PROFIT ££
Except, Dumbasses. 250w continuous rated power really means very little. And does not include a cap on Peak/Max power.

As an example. here's a Spesh Levo being tested for it's actual wattage outputs (just chosen as they're the most popular FS Emtbs)
skip to 2mins in for the results:
660w continuous 700+w Peak.
Friends with the Blevo App have confirmed Peak of 750+w measured by the App (no idea how accurate that is)

This chart is a few years old and things have moved on slightly but you can see pretty easily how differently each motor delivers it's assistance and how wildly different their peak/Max power and range of useable power actually is.

the Brose data in the graph is not the Brose motor/controller spesh use in their Levo/Kenevo.
As you can see from the data the guys in the video found. The Levo would be off the chart.
ie. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to even attempt an Emtb race using my Shimano Steps E8000 motor (with 20NM less torque and far lower peak wattage) against a Levo but both are perfectly legal "250w rated" motors. (and the Levo's motor is not even the most powerful motor that conforms to EWS-E regulations)

It'll be a gong show. Don't miss it. ;)

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...and here I was thinking it would have to be some sort of Spec series where everybody uses the same motor / controller...but then I remembered UCI, so ah, um - carry on? :rofl:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Can you still get a 5th element for them?
They come with something called PDS or Pile of Dog Shit. Its sort of like an orange with whatever your least favorite shock is with the rebound turned all the way out..... They also come with something similar to a manitou sherman front fork... Needs to be fixed via air strike... Or just removed and replaced by some KaYaBs

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
guy i used to work with had one of their dual sport bikes burn to the ground on the side of a road when it was 2 weeks old.
So ktm makes them, ktm is also good for the burning trick, im really not a fan of either but i just wanted to save the woo the grief of horrible rear suspension....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Using a moto is the greatest way to burn in singletrack if you can get away w it. I am actually considering getting one of these sur ron's for riding some more 'sensative' areas...where we have hundreds of miles of forgotten trails that nobody uses...it's such a waste.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Actually more for some super rural spots in more central PA, we have a cabin up that way w/ so many miles of trails. For some reason the state won't get their head out of their asses and expand recreation in those areas beyond hunting and fishing. Problem solved w/ e moto.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actually more for some super rural spots in more central PA, we have a cabin up that way w/ so many miles of trails. For some reason the state won't get their head out of their asses and expand recreation in those areas beyond hunting and fishing. Problem solved w/ e moto.
do it. a buddy of mine has a cabin up near williamsport. to get to it you have to drive on a dirt road past an amish sawmill.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I need high rpms and hp over torque. Main goal is to burn in singletrack. And shoot gravel at mountain bike dorks wearing Oakley blades and fanny packs.

Rumors are Honda may jump back into smoker game. Also the Yamaha 250 SMoker is $7K new. I bet you may be able to find one for $6300 or so if you look.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Has yamaha changed anything on that yz in 16 years?

I really don't think I want or need a 250 2t. Maayyybe just because I live at some elevation but those little 150s are so damn light.

Pretty sure they're lighter than Garys ebike.
A local pro was selling his 2 stroke race rig for $3000 that's a fucking deal. You could always go that route. And no the Yamaha aside from brake and new suspension I don't think has changed much.....