Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The last thing I want is some ported out race gas liability with suspension I have no place on.

I know what I'm doing with mountainbikes. With dirtbikes I'm coming in from the bottom so trying to keep it simple. As a reference, my main goal is: learn how to shift :D

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Has yamaha changed anything on that yz in 16 years?

I really don't think I want or need a 250 2t. Maayyybe just because I live at some elevation but those little 150s are so damn light.

Pretty sure they're lighter than Garys ebike.
No they havent changed much, but before ktm going super enduro specific the yz was reguarded as one of the only bikes that works out of the box for mx, dez, enduro, its comes with what is still considered the best stock suspension ever made, and many many moded bikes never reach the plushness of a stock yz250.

The benefit of few changes over 15 years is...
Bazillions of aftermarket parts new and used
And replacement parts will be avaliable for it for the next 350 years due to production volume,

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The last thing I want is some ported out race gas liability with suspension I have no place on.

I know what I'm doing with mountainbikes. With dirtbikes I'm coming in from the bottom so trying to keep it simple. As a reference, my main goal is: learn how to shift :D
It easy put it into 2nd gear hold throttle about 2/3 of the way open lean way the hell forward. You may need to lower the seat height if I recall right...

Then dump that clutch and hold the fuck on. never use the clutch again unless it starts to bog down or you need to downshift. This isn't the cycling industry with some new latest and greatest. I would say EFI is the biggest leap forward in last 15 or so years. Also, it used to cost $300 to get the suspension revalved at well-known places.....

Also, thanks to the Yuppie Hippies that have moved into Santa Ynez over the past 10 years this track is now closed. I would have pulled the Ron Swanson at City COuncil meeting and claimed "I dont hear Hippy". But this could be you Woo...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Okay let me rephrase that: "find a better pair of boots that I can shift in and feel what the hell I'm doing" ;)
I've been using a pair of inherited tech 9s that are literally 20 years old. I think my ski boots flex more.
I can ride a dirtbike, just don't have the muscle memory programmed yet. Plus rekluse will be happening.

And hell yeah I'm using the clutch again, whiskey throttle is terrifying.
The efi thing is so funny to me. That's OLD snowmobile tech that took way too long to make it to dirtbikes. I just wish there were more injected two strokes around.

I will never be cole seely. Although the arrangement of bones in my sacrum are probably in a similar configuration these days.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Actually more for some super rural spots in more central PA, we have a cabin up that way w/ so many miles of trails. For some reason the state won't get their head out of their asses and expand recreation in those areas beyond hunting and fishing. Problem solved w/ e moto.
I did a very covert Sur-ron ride on Maui last week through ranch land and into the national park. It was absolutely epic and couldn't have been done on a MTB, e-MTB, or normal moto.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

I need to sell my 300xc this summer cuz I never use it anymore. Road trip to Breckenridge? MTBer's special with auto clutch, MTB style brakes, and lowering bushing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Good catch! It also has racer decals, so you probably upped your skills 300%.
best name for a moto wrap company ever.... At first I thought it was just some dude with a sense of humor. Turns out that dude owns a business.

@kidwoo are you driving a tuk tuk
If a tuk tuk is a custom flatbed built for carrying snowmobiles then yes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
nice bike!

man you guys really have NO snow out there :(
We were bumping along just fine nov/dec/jan and then it just quit. We just had the driest february on record (literally zero precip) and like 50 degree weather. I've been riding dapeach's bike the last month.

There's coverage up high but it's been so sun baked, wind blown and just weird it's definitely spotty.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
suck it industry

got the linkage

had to get a track bike but whatever. Bigger tank and endurpo tire came with it. Cost just a little bit more than a trust fork

@Lelandjt: let's talk about those brakes :D
Nice bike Woo! I used to have a 200exc with the smaller 125 chassis. Super fun bike!

I use the Clake SLR for a left hand rear brake on top of the clutch lever. I mainly use it when going down steep stuff in the wet Otherwise I try and ride normal. Steep wet downhill right turns are much easier for me with the rear hand brake. I kept the clutch for revs and traction as well as the foot brake for fatigue/long descents.

I like to keep a normal-ish setup so I don’t derp too much on my other bikes.
They make some interesting brake/clutch things for hard enduro.
946F4502-DD9B-4A09-A9E7-600EE180A5E7.jpeg

5F31DBD5-5B66-48F0-B6C1-54B69C134A50.jpeg

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make a new, much more complicated bleed fitting for Guide brakes. I haven't owned any Sram/Avid brakes in like 20 years because #SelfCare but I do have their bleed kit for my Formulas. Went to bleed the rear brake on a bike I have out to review last night and promptly puked fluid all over the place because you're not actually supposed to remove the screw from the caliper bleed port. :rant:

That said, even with half the fluid missing from the caliper, it doesn't really work any worse than it did before, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My lightweight female buddy just wrote off a Trek Slash frame because their stupid ass KnockBlock feature failed and the fork crown smashed the downtube. Apparently when you make a frame that relies on the KnockBlock to stop it destroying itself, and the tiny tab that makes KnockBlock work breaks off and does sweet FA - well your warranty is voided because only a crash could have done that.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My lightweight female buddy just wrote off a Trek Slash frame because their stupid ass KnockBlock feature failed and the fork crown smashed the downtube. Apparently when you make a frame that relies on the KnockBlock to stop it destroying itself, and the tiny tab that makes KnockBlock work breaks off and does sweet FA - well your warranty is voided because only a crash could have done that.
Did you tell her it was her own goddam fault for buying a Trek? :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
From a buddies slash. No crash just normal banging around. Trek said the same thing...only possible in a crash. F Trek.

1584237308964.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Race Face Turbine R dropper lever: What in the actual fuck? Shit at walmart has more quality.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
From a buddies slash. No crash just normal banging around. Trek said the same thing...only possible in a crash. F Trek.
That´s the worst excuse i´ve heard in a long time. Seriously, at this point they´re pretty much admitting they know their shit breaks in a crash, which is basically the one situation you really need that feature. Like, yeah it works if you use it normally, but as soon as it is required to actually do its job, it stops working.
That´s like a car manufacturer claiming the airbag malfunctioning is irrelevant because you´re not supposed to crash the car anyways...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hunh, I have one (brand new, ‘20), and it looks just like a wolftooth clone. What don’t you like? Can you post a pic of it?
This is probably a 19, there’s no way it’s a wolftooth or loam clone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout