Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
What's the deal with body armor costs?? The new RF Roam knee pads look awesome, like a 2nd generation of the Ambush, but they're $129US???
Low quantity with expensive tooling, they're going to sell what, a few thousand a year if they're lucky? A production mold designed and machined in China for that foam shit is probably $50k and they'll probably change their product line before they wear the mold out. Its the same reason everything in MTB is expensive, you can get a whole ass dirtbike with a transmission, a motor, front and rear suspension for $3k brand new, because it only comes in 1 size and they can keep selling the same exact thing for decades allowing them to amortize the tooling costs way more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Low quantity with expensive tooling, they're going to sell what, a few thousand a year if they're lucky? A production mold designed and machined in China for that foam shit is probably $50k and they'll probably change their product line before they wear the mold out. Its the same reason everything in MTB is expensive, you can get a whole ass dirtbike with a transmission, a motor, front and rear suspension for $3k brand new, because it only comes in 1 size and they can keep selling the same exact thing for decades allowing them to amortize the tooling costs way more.
plus high performance foams like the ones used in armor (d30, vpd, etc) are not inexpensive. also, not all sizes use the same size foam inserts, so there's also that.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yea, I have to carry the 16mm Allen adapter tool on rides, as my RF cranks are the only cranks I’ve ever owned that will loosen up over time... even after properly torqueing them to 10million foot-pounds or whatever.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was thinking yesterday...when the hell is someone going to design a transparent/translucent tire? If I can't have a jet pack, I at least want some freaky transparent tires. Think of the $$$ we'll make selling them to insecure bikers that are afraid their sealant has dried up!

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I was thinking yesterday...when the hell is someone going to design a transparent/translucent tire? If I can't have a jet pack, I at least want some freaky transparent tires. Think of the $$$ we'll make selling them to insecure bikers that are afraid their sealant has dried up!
Then sealant can have custom colors. Including black for old school types.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
transparent tires would sell super well with the same kind of crowd who buy these cultxvans tire schemes :D
1586984391417.png

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Those look rad! Where did you find those?

edit: shit! 20" only
They actually do come in 26 and 29 because 29er bmxes are a thing.

They look class if they match the bike. I think a similar idea for different colored treads/sidewalls would be cool for MTB. I wish maxxis or schwalbe would make skinwalls at least for DH tires

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
this...

I see this along the lines of fancy watches. When I work the NAHBS show it's full of overly expensive stuff no cyclists actually needs. But clearly there are a LOT of people in the world with money to burn so I'd rather they direct it into the bike industry than the watch or exotic car industries.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
My experience has been more or less the same as @jstuhlman ... My buddy recently dropped the chain on a local trail here also. He rides a Hightower LT. I have a Nomad V3.

Maybe it has something to do with chain growth curve/wheel path on long-travel VPP bikes (ie, how the wheel rebounds from deep in the travel while the chain is slack).

The wide-range cassettes certainly don't help - my chain gets kinda slack in smaller cogs, and I cut it just shy of jocky wheels going over-center, with the shock bottomed out. Probably not as much of an issue with 7-sp cassettes on DH bikes.
You bottom out your shock in 1st gear? (take link out)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
My RF cinch cranks get loose on my trail bike. Not sure why, they just do. Plus that preload ring-thing is made of plastic so I've already cracked the part the screw threads in.
You can buy an aluminum E13 pre-load ring and put it on a Cinch crank. Also, you can add 1mm and .5mm spacers inboard of the preload ring so you don't have to tighten it at all or just barely. Having more threads engaged is a good thing.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
You bottom out your shock in 1st gear? (take link out)
Once every bluemoon, when I do a wheelie drop to flat, which I seldom do these days TBH (bulging L5 disc). Not that is when I typically drop the chain... moving at crawl pace, usually in 2nd gear. My buddy asked me the same thing.

I did shorten my chain by one link at Big Bear on the closing day last year out of desperation, when my new chainguide with missing/incorrect parts failed me multiple times.

And that didn't make appreciable difference. So when I replaced the chain earlier this year, I opted to cut the new chain the same way I've done. I sorted out the chain guide/retention issues by then, and I figured slapping chain would be better than possibly damaging the derailleur.

Just explaining my reasoning... not saying it's the right way but so far it has worked well enough for me.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I don't know if this has been thrown into the hat by now, but.....Presta Valves? 3 threads to do the job of 1? Incompatible with normal gas station pumps or air chucks or pressure gauges without an adapter? Can unthread itself during normal use? Long and gangly stem that can catch debris easier? Moving part on the tip that's flimsy and can get bent? Where do the benefits end, I mean, start?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I have none of those issues, but I may try Schrader sometime due to latex clogging.

I don't know if this has been thrown into the hat by now, but.....Presta Valves? 3 threads to do the job of 1? Incompatible with normal gas station pumps or air chucks or pressure gauges without an adapter? Can unthread itself during normal use? Long and gangly stem that can catch debris easier? Moving part on the tip that's flimsy and can get bent? Where do the benefits end, I mean, start?

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Ahem... June 27, 2018:

Presta in the MTB world needs to be killed with fire. It already laid off a ton of eggs, but a good flamethrower will take care of those too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
None of those really bug me.

What bugs me is the air restriction when setting tubeless AND pumps that are not meant to be used without the valve in place. These two things are insanely stupid in today's world of tubeless. And yes, I know there's always going to be someone that says they set their tubeless with their shock pump and some milk for sealant, but in the real world things often do not go as planned and you need moar power to make it all work given the incredible variability of tires and rims. Like jesus christ, why not make things EASIER!?? Anyone who designed one of these charger-type pumps to not work without the valve core should be kicked straight in the nuts. Part of the problem is the presta, with schrader, you COULD get a bigger passage-way. It's not currently designed like that, but with the bigger design, it's possible. You could probably do an over-size valve core or something. That little sliding cylinder over the stem thingie in presta just needs a tiny bit of debris to work like fuck-all.

Don't get me started on that muck-off shit, to try and overcome some of this, they made it bigger (with the same core), which made it so my pump wouldn't lock around it anymore, as it was for a "standard" presta. It wasn't best for me to figure this out more than a hundred miles into the Iditarod race in the wilderness. Obviously we have reached the limits of the design with tubeless IMO.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, in this vein, I blame myself for getting an ultralight, compact ‘emergency’ road pump from Lezyne. Had to use for real today for the first time in three years of lugging it around with me, piece of shit. Any pump that you have to thread on sucks, for starters, and then the pumping action gets worse from there. At least I was only trying to pump it up to 70 psi and not 100 like back in the day.

anyone wanna buy this?

edit: didn’t actually work as ‘slip fit’ in any way. I’ll knock $5.00 off for that.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
So, in this vein, I blame myself for getting an ultralight, compact ‘emergency’ road pump from Lezyne. Had to use for real today for the first time in three years of lugging it around with me, piece of shit. Any pump that you have to thread on sucks, for starters, and then the pumping action gets worse from there. At least I was only trying to pump it up to 70 psi and not 100 like back in the day.

anyone wanna buy this?

edit: didn’t actually work as ‘slip fit’ in any way. I’ll knock $5.00 off for that.
Y u no CO2 cartridge?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

anyone wanna buy this?

Yeah, I don't care for the screw on at all, over time it unscrews your valve core and then it pops out at the most inopportune time. I have a cool cannondale one that looks like my syncros, but the head is this cool two-way push thing where you push it onto the valve to seal it. Best part is that I found it on the trail. The syncros was asinine because when your fingers are a little numb it's impossible to get the pump head out of the pump body. They figured this out and added a tab a few years later on the same model. My best is my bigger topeak mountain morph. Solid, for around 17 years.

anyone wanna buy this?

I have two Lezyne pumps, not that model, and they work just fine.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
No. Nope. Nada. That ain't "men's" shit. That's for these boys without balls. Men don't wear tight shit and men don't fit in this shit. A 2xl fits someone who's 6'-2" tall and weighs 180. Fuck you industry!

Screenshot_20200429-135003_Outlook.jpg