Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
he idea that you "don't really need damping" for any off-road riding is ludicrous
it doesn't have NO damping

You're moaning about the damping on a fork you've never ridden.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Make your mind up what you're talking about please.
it's an XC fork.
WC XC isn't an endurance event is it? it's 90minuteds of laps round the same fairly tame route with a decent amount of climbing.
pretty much every domestic XC series copies this format.
comfort isn't too important for 90minutes
How many people ride in WC XC?

How many people ride in grassroots XC races?

How many people ride in state and regional series XC?

How many people ride in endurance events (yes, these are XC races)?

Here in the US, many of the endurance races are linked or part of a series and there are pro categories for a reason.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the number of riders in the 3 bottom categories makes up 99.9% of XC racers.

Maybe where you race XC the races are "tame". That's not my experience with it. That's usually just a straw-man argument to rationalize lack of fitness-ability for that specific type of riding. More and more top XC racers are going with dropper posts, and that's not because the courses are "tame".

Again, this reeks of UCI homologation rules.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Lotta "this isn't the exact right product for my use case, it's therefore the worst thing ever and makes sense for nobody" going around in here.

Let's get back to bitching about things that actually are trash. I'll start: skinwall tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Lotta "this isn't the exact right product for my use case, it's therefore the worst thing ever and makes sense for nobody" going around in here.

Let's get back to bitching about things that actually are trash. I'll start: skinwall tires.

what about white AND skinwall?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the number of riders in the 3 bottom categories makes up 99.9% of XC racers.
and what's your point?

Mine was that you don't need particularly next level damping on an 80mm fork used for those 3 disciplines
Maybe where you race XC the races are "tame".
All XC races are.
This is still (just about) a DH forum FFS

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Make your mind up what you're talking about please.
it's an XC fork.
WC XC isn't an endurance event is it? it's 90minuteds of laps round the same fairly tame route with a decent amount of climbing.
pretty much every domestic XC series copies this format.
comfort isn't too important for 90minutes
honestly i wouldn't consider xc courses fairly tame anymore (at least not most of the ones i've seen from watching world cups). yes that was true at one time but not anymore. no, they're not as gnarly as enduro or DH courses but they've come a long way in the last few years. hell there are even drops and jumps in the courses now. the tokyo olympic track honestly looks exciting.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
honestly i wouldn't consider xc courses fairly tame anymore (at least not most of the ones i've seen from watching world cups). yes that was true at one time but not anymore. no, they're not as gnarly as enduro or DH courses but they've come a long way in the last few years. hell there are even drops and jumps in the courses now. the tokyo olympic track honestly looks exciting.
Are you serious?
Yeah, apart from the climbs that looks a fun little loop but in all honesty it looks about as gnarly as your average Scottish XC trail centre red (intermediate) route with a few more freshly cut natural sections.
Don't get me wrong here, it's definitely an improvement on a lot of less than interesting courses but you can't honestly expect me to think a few hand built rockgardens each designed and laid out with an obvious main line, a couple of man made 3ft drops with perfectly laid out downslope landings and one and a half bike length doubles ISN'T "fairly tame". and there's almost certainly nothing there to require anything more than a basic hardtail from 1996 to ride, nevermind some super fancy damper.
The real challenge for those guys is riding it lap after lap at the HRs they do, which is precisely why the technicality of the courses still isn't huge.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you serious?
Yeah, apart from the climbs that looks a fun little loop but in all honesty it looks about as gnarly as your average Scottish XC trail centre red (inermediate) route with a few more freshly cut natural sections.
Don't get me wrong here, it's definitely an improvement on a lot of less than interesting courses but you can't honestly expect me to think a few hand built rockgardens each designed and laid out with an obvious main line, a couple of man made 3ft drops with perfectly laid out downslope landings and one and a half bike length doubles ISN'T "fairly tame". and almost certainly nothing there to require anything more than a basic hardtail from 1996 to ride, nevermind some super fancy damper.
The real challenge for those guys is riding it lap after lap at the HRs they do, which is precicely why the technicality of the courses still isn't huge.
It's really good to have you back to normal.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

what about white AND skinwall?
:panic:
hmmmm....c'mon. you saw the course at snowshoe. there was nothing in the least gnar there. it's still all about how long you can maintain stupid fast speed for an hour or so.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Remember the light green tread and tan sidewall michelins? Like 1997? They sucked, and looked aweful! Lmao!
How about these abominations? They gripped the track like a greased pig...

... And I can stand by that affirmation up above. I was one of the suckers buying them because they matched my frame. The durometer was something like 1,530 at the shoulders, 1,700 at the center.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

... And I can stand by that affirmation up above. I was one of the suckers buying them because they matched my frame. The durometer was something like 1,530 at the center, 1,700 at the shoulders.
Omg! Cant say i remember or have ever seen those. Fugly for sure!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Gravel bike riders.

Every fucking rocky section on some single track near me has a go around now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

... And I can stand by that affirmation up above. I was one of the suckers buying them because they matched my frame. The durometer was something like 1,530 at the shoulders, 1,700 at the center.
Never saw those before, and I can say I was better for it.

I did have some of the grey specialized umma gumma tires. I thought they looked hot on a black bike...but they were horrible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had red tires back in the day. specialized, I think. Also the gummy colored Onzas.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I did have some of the grey specialized umma gumma tires. I thought they looked hot on a black bike...but they were horrible.
Horrible? From the early 90's? I thought they were pretty decent compared to what was offered at the time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
umma gumma was the compound.
some spesh tyres back then had terrible tread designs, some not so bad

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
All the tyre technology you ever needed for any type of mountainbiking in 1993

and arguably still the case for most in 2020

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That's not the original weirwolf

And they didn't come out until about 2003

They actually work pretty well in moondust with a little trimming.
I went down to Santa Barbara with Richard Lancaster and Travis Robertson before those came out and road Tunnel "with" them while they tested the tires. I think Richard had his under 18PSI in the back. A brand new wheel had 2 dents in them as deep as my pinky like 1/3 of the way down. I only saw them for about the first 200 yards or so.....no sidewall cuts though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've never ridden tunnel but isn't it pretty much all rock? IE: tread don't matter, just casings?

I used to get a ton of free/cheap WTB tires in the early 2000s and before they started screwing with DNA casing crap and I swear you couldn't get a pinch flat with those things if you tried.

Then they 'improved' them and I couldn't keep air IN the damn things.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Shimano is now making flat mount MTB brake calipers. I thought the point of flat mount was the same as front 12mm axles, to make it so road and MTB parts weren't interchangable so road stuff wouldn't be abused. Nevermind how bad the flat mount standard is in practice. The both calipers are more difficult to adjust and the front requires an adapter to attach to a fork. Really, there's like one fork out there that can take it without an adapter. Who is asking for this on their MTB? Oh I know, the roadie buying their first MTB that's really a front suspension gravel bike and wants calipers as "sleek" as their road bike's.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Shimano is now making flat mount MTB brake calipers. I thought the point of flat mount was the same as front 12mm axles, to make it so road and MTB parts weren't interchangable so road stuff wouldn't be abused. Nevermind how bad the flat mount standard is in practice. The both calipers are more difficult to adjust and the front requires an adapter to attach to a fork. Really, there's like one fork out there that can take it without an adapter. Who is asking for this on their MTB? Oh I know, the roadie buying their first MTB that's really a front suspension gravel bike and wants calipers as "sleek" as their road bike's.
L1.jpg