Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe we can collectively get a revision of those right of way triangle signs? Finally we the real bike riders are no longer at the bottom of the totem pole. Suck it horses!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I still think an awesome trail name in horsey-land would be "Glue Factory"
Any normal trail network that allows horses should also have a quarter mile loop from the parking lot that horses have to be taken on before hitting the main trails - loop would be called the poop loop.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any normal trail network that allows horses should also have a quarter mile loop from the parking lot that horses have to be taken on before hitting the main trails - loop would be called the poop loop.
Can you guess why I named this trail that particular name?

Poop Alley on Trailforks

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Dual crown forks with straight steerers. Wasn't the 1.5 and tapered head tube designed for DH bikes? Why the hell do I have to use a 1.5" bottom headset with a reducer to accommodate an 1 1/8" steerer tube?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, they weren't brought about for DH bikes. It's for long travel single crowns, which need all the help they can get. A dual crown doesn't need a bigger steerer tube (hell, they don't really need a steerer tube at all) and the smaller lower bearing just makes more room for adjusting headsets, the crown can be smaller (lighter), etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, 1.5 came around on the Manitou Sherman, Marzocchi responded with the 1 1/8 Z150 that weighed a ton.
I think that was a distraction. DW and others said frames were being ovalized and needed 1.5 to resist. Over time, it was realized that only the bottom really needed it. Manitou though, seized upon the 1.5 to make an 8" single crown fork...for no good reason. AFAIR, it wasn't the reason for the 1.5, but a (bad) result of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think that was a distraction. DW and others said frames were being ovalized and needed 1.5 to resist. Over time, it was realized that only the bottom really needed it. Manitou though, seized upon the 1.5 to make an 8" single crown fork...for no good reason. AFAIR, it wasn't the reason for the 1.5, but a (bad) result of it.
the single crown travis wasn't a bad fork because of the steerer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the single crown travis wasn't a bad fork because of the steerer.
Yes...but why 200mm SC?

Moving to 1.5 steerers was a great idea to help combat the fore-aft flex that forks inherently see. But we are approaching the dumbness of 200mm single crown forks yet again in the industry...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Dual crown forks with straight steerers. Wasn't the 1.5 and tapered head tube designed for DH bikes? Why the hell do I have to use a 1.5" bottom headset with a reducer to accommodate an 1 1/8" steerer tube?
If your satisfied with your reach and angle you can infact buy a rissie racing lower clamp with a 1.5" tapered steerer...

If you wanted to get buck wild there's a way to go full 1.5" but it involves a mill, a lathe, a pair of rissie clamps, and some 1.625" 7075 bar stock or thick wall tube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If your satisfied with your reach and angle you can infact buy a rissie racing lower clamp with a 1.5" tapered steerer...

If you wanted to get buck wild there's a way to go full 1.5" but it involves a mill, a lathe, a pair of rissie clamps, and some 1.625" 7075 bar stock or thick wall tube.
or do as ze germans do

1590776782594.png

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
What was a distraction? Ovalized head tubes was part of the design goal but the main thing they wanted to solve was stiffness. Manitou led the OnePointFive initiative/consortium and launched the 150mm Sherman Breakout Plus.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What was a distraction? Ovalized head tubes was part of the design goal but the main thing they wanted to solve was stiffness. Manitou led the OnePointFive initiative/consortium and launched the 150mm Sherman Breakout Plus.
Sort of amazing in retrospect how short-lived the straight 1.5" steerers and stems were.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, from the frame-builders, it seemed more that the 1.5 was a way to avoid the ovalized and over-stressed HTs, regardless of what fork it was.

From Manitou, it seemed like it was just a way to make a 203mm SC fork.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Total non-sequiter, but my Klein had a 1.5 headset in ‘93. I don’t remember if Cannondale’s foray into 1 and 1/4” was before or after that.
You sure? I recall Klein being 1.25" in an era where everyone else was 1" or 1 1/8".

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Nope, the press fit bearings on the adroit then (might have been the only model) were 1.5.
in order to get a Mag21, I needed to get a custom crown from Klein, IIRC. But that was a long time ago, my memory could be faulty.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
If anybody ever catches me in a Rapha product, please immediately proceed to remove me from the gene pool with whatever you have at hand, even if it takes a while. I don't care if it's a 4mm allen key or a tiny rock, just hack away. Strangle me with your hip pack if that's all you have, safe in the knowledge that you are still a better man than me and you're doing the world a service.