Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why on earth would you want one of those?

Because you bought an expensive stem that says "hit and run" on the side and then realized like all the other pussies out there, you don't really ride your dh bike any rowdier than those hawt new enduro bikes which everyone keeps telling you is pretty much the same thing as a dh bike these days.

You know, if I had to guess.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Because you bought an expensive stem that says "hit and run" on the side and then realized like all the other pussies out there, you don't really ride your dh bike any rowdier than those hawt new enduro bikes which everyone keeps telling you is pretty much the same thing as a dh bike these days.

You know, if I had to guess.
So you instead buy an expensive thing that adds a bunch of bolts and weight, offers none of the advantages of a DM stem in terms of clocking or stiffness (and in fact is almost certainly worse than a normal stem in those areas), adds some stress concentration to your steerer tube, and looks like shit? Cool.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So you instead buy an expensive thing that adds a bunch of bolts and weight, offers none of the advantages of a DM stem in terms of clocking or stiffness (and in fact is almost certainly worse than a normal stem in those areas), adds some stress concentration to your steerer tube, and looks like shit? Cool.
oh shit! well when you consider all that...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Never saw one of those, had to google. So it's basically a direct mount stem adaptor for single crown forks ? Let me guess; it's heavier and costs more than a new stem.

How long before this a new standard ? And will it be compatible with 36" wide motocross bars on an xc bike ?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So I want a 50mm stem for the new Kona. Can't steal the old Hope stem off the Patrol because the Kona has 35mm bars. So I steal the 50mm off the gf's Slash because she wants a 40mm anyway. Problem solved and everyone happy right? Nope. Slash has proprietary Knock Block stem which works on a normal bike, but my old 40mm Kona stem won't work on the Trek. US price for the cheapest 40mm Knock Block stem - US $39, Aussie price - $129.

You win this time lizards.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
So I want a 50mm stem for the new Kona. Can't steal the old Hope stem off the Patrol because the Kona has 35mm bars. So I steal the 50mm off the gf's Slash because she wants a 40mm anyway. Problem solved and everyone happy right? Nope. Slash has proprietary Knock Block stem which works on a normal bike, but my old 40mm Kona stem won't work on the Trek. US price for the cheapest 40mm Knock Block stem - US $39, Aussie price - $129.

Of course your Kona stem won't work on a Trek, it's like you haven't even been paying attention.

I'm surprised it wasn't the other way that caused you issues though, what with Trek's now needing knockblock specific headset spacers.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

"The moose out front should've told ya." (Vacation, 1983)

[insert meme]

Did you know there are boost cranks? I did not, until I learned that the moose out front didn't tell me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
"The moose out front should've told ya." (Vacation, 1983)

[insert meme]

Did you know there are boost cranks? I did not, until I learned that the moose out front didn't tell me.

And boost chain rings.

Are there boost cassettes and derailleurs?

How about boost water bottles?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

where there's a will...
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/MicDoyon/album/Custom-Knock-Block-Stem/

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Can't you just lop off the knock block tab? Tape up the downtube with some mastik tape if you really want to get fancy.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Can't you just lop off the knock block tab? Tape up the downtube with some mastik tape if you really want to get fancy.
Yeah I can, but these bikes actually need the knock block thingy to stop some hectic frame-crown interaction in crashes. The stem is what actually stops the fork doing that. Plus the missus will rip me a new one if I go near her bike with a grinder....

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Yeah I can, but these bikes actually need the knock block thingy to stop some hectic frame-crown interaction in crashes. The stem is what actually stops the fork doing that. Plus the missus will rip me a new one if I go near her bike with a grinder....
or just use one of these.. number 545523 is the article number from trek. It's called a Knock block spacer. For when you want to use some other stem with your bike that is knock block equipped .
VOZ_TkKBL_Knock_Block-il.jpg

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'll add headset "standards" to the list.

With every fork having a tapered steerer, the manufacturer can standardized the ID of the headtube. Ie. 1.5 to 1 1/8" headset is all we need anymore.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
They already had it at the presentation of the Sender. Graph-recycling™, so ECO friendly.
The removeable weedbox is new though:
everyone knows weed is kept in the steerer tube or handlebar. pretty sure that box is for needles, spoon, lighter, rubber hose and your injectable drug of choice.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Canyon has just discovered the sag point! I give you Triple Phase Suspension™:

They do realize the last 1/3 of the travel isn't more but less progressive than the middle "stable" part? I know it makes sense since airshocks but it doesn't in terms of their powerpoint