Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
pay thru the nose to acheive a 30lb bike and then strap/bolt 12lbs of shit to the frame. what the fuck is wrong with people?
First they started bending downtubes for added water bottle space. It added frame weight while increasing rock strikes. It annoyed me but I figured the downsides were minimal and enough riders were insisting on a water bottle mount that I was just gonna have to accept it. This new trend of adding weight and cost to a frame for tool mounts and storage is a step too far and will be a deal breaker on any future frames I consider. I can imagine the demand for it at lower price points but I'm honestly surprised to see this above $4000. Above that price you're just paying more to shed weight with expensive materials and engineering so it baffles me that people would be willing to add the weight right back, rather than saving a few grand and wearing a small pack*. When Specialized came out with their downtube storage it made their carbon frame weigh the same as the much cheaper alloy frame. I wondered if anyone would pay for carbon when it doesn't come with weight savings, just a burrito box, BUT THEY DID!!!

*Here's my hypothesis: No one has tried a minimalist pack. Everyone who says they hate packs tried a large one. I base this on how few small packs exist and what I see on the trail. When pack shopping people think "I better get one that can hold plenty of stuff in case I ever want to". Then they realize how much it sucks riding with a big heavy pack and think it's a great idea to put their flat tire kit and water on the bike, even though they just added $3000 worth of weight to it. If I just described you try the smallest Camelbak or the Dakine hip pack. Weight is definitely better on the body than bike for handling.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
*Here's my hypothesis: No one has tried a minimalist pack. Everyone who says they hate packs tried a large one. I base this on how few small packs exist and what I see on the trail. When pack shopping people think "I better get one that can hold plenty of stuff in case I ever want to". Then they realize how much it sucks riding with a big heavy pack and think it's a great idea to put their flat tire kit and water on the bike, even though they just added $3000 worth of weight to it. If I just described you try the smallest Camelbak or the Dakine hip pack. Weight is definitely better on the body than bike for handling.
This. I have an Osprey Viper that is pretty "small", but I can fit enough of the gear I need for actual backcountry rides and probably even a water bottle if needed. The water/vodka bladder isn't huge, but usually its enough volume for my needs (unlike my own ever shrinking bladder). I'm always amazed at the trans-America overland packs I see some people riding with on their 5 mile epic.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm always amazed at the trans-America overland packs I see some people riding with on their 5 mile epic.
Why amazed? Their 5 mile epic is on a rails-to-trails path and they are using a Gnarbro 7" travel Geometroduro with 225 mm rotors, DH tires with tire inserts and all that jazz. Same as with brodozers, you don't need it right now, but better be prepared if you do! ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
First they started bending downtubes for added water bottle space. It added frame weight while increasing rock strikes. It annoyed me but I figured the downsides were minimal and enough riders were insisting on a water bottle mount that I was just gonna have to accept it. This new trend of adding weight and cost to a frame for tool mounts and storage is a step too far and will be a deal breaker on any future frames I consider. I can imagine the demand for it at lower price points but I'm honestly surprised to see this above $4000. Above that price you're just paying more to shed weight with expensive materials and engineering so it baffles me that people would be willing to add the weight right back, rather than saving a few grand and wearing a small pack*. When Specialized came out with their downtube storage it made their carbon frame weigh the same as the much cheaper alloy frame. I wondered if anyone would pay for carbon when it doesn't come with weight savings, just a burrito box, BUT THEY DID!!!

I do like my one-up edc tool a lot. Bottle cage on my frame. Car key and ID in pocket. Only time I carry more is when it's very hot. I have a lab austere ass bag for 2 extra water bottles. I have larger packs for longer rides, but they've been collecting dust.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I can do my short/lunch loop with one bottle if I pre hydrate and its not too hot.

My osprey pack gets me through anything else, but I hate wearing a pack these days.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
only wear a pack for big rides in the hills. don't carry jack shit for local, as i can hike out of anywhere in 15 mins max if needed.

in general my camebak mule doesn't bother me, only really when jumping if i don't have the straps tightened. but have thought about going smaller by carrying a sawyer straw. there are definitely days in the summer when i drink 100oz water over a long ride.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
only wear a pack for big rides in the hills. don't carry jack shit for local, as i can hike out of anywhere in 15 mins max if needed.

in general my camebak mule doesn't bother me, only really when jumping if i don't have the straps tightened. but have thought about going smaller by carrying a sawyer straw. there are definitely days in the summer when i drink 100oz water over a long ride.
I'm on the same boat as you. The Mule fits my needs for tools, wallet, phone, keys, a snack bar and 3 liters of water. I tend to sweat a lot in the summer, and regularly finish my 3-4 hour rides with an empty reservoir.

The Mule might be a bit overkill given its load capacity, but I haven't been tempted to grab a smaller/lighter pack with the same water carrying capability because I don't feel like my back is burning when I carry it.

EDIT: A bonus point (for me) is the ability to stash a clean Jersey for the occasional after ride beer stop at the local micro brewery. That way I have no need to text my riding mates to talk to them while trying to avoid killing the rest of the customers with my stench.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Above that price you're just paying more to shed weight with expensive materials and engineering so it baffles me that people would be willing to add the weight right back, rather than saving a few grand and wearing a small pack*. When Specialized came out with their downtube storage it made their carbon frame weigh the same as the much cheaper alloy frame. I wondered if anyone would pay for carbon when it doesn't come with weight savings, just a burrito box, BUT THEY DID!!!
Its kind of like Porsche. You can PAY to have things deleted or just not installed on your car for "weight savings" or get the carbon fiber dentist package, but then you leave in the power seats and other crap! Hello, mcfly!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
How do you like it when loaded with 2 bottles? 500 or 750 ml?
I just received mine on Wednesday, first ride was yesterday. I adjusted the belt once and rode. I completely forgot it was there. It was perfectly fine with two 22oz bottles, I noticed my single bottle hip pack more with the weight only on one side.

I will take good care of you man.
The “company” is just me.
Absolutely! Thank you for the code and the quick shipping. Took two days from Utah to get to me. Liking it so far!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I will take good care of you man.
The “company” is just me.
I do know that and had planned to pick one up when I make it to the US again. But that seems to be farther out than anticipated and I am not willing to wait. My concerns are not you but shipping delays/issues to Europe and that customs will hammer me.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I do know that and had planned to pick one up when I make it to the US again. But that seems to be farther out than anticipated and I am not willing to wait. My concerns are not you but shipping delays/issues to Europe and that customs will hammer me.
Gotcha!
I certainly ship to Europe all the time, and rarely have an issue, but do not know specifics on duties.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I just received mine on Wednesday, first ride was yesterday. I adjusted the belt once and rode. I completely forgot it was there. It was perfectly fine with two 22oz bottles, I noticed my single bottle hip pack more with the weight only on one side.

Absolutely! Thank you for the code and the quick shipping. Took two days from Utah to get to me. Liking it so far!
if poston didn't rattle stuff loose, that's a good endorsement!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sweet baby jeebus, Cannondale really has gone all in

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sweet baby jeebus, Cannondale really has gone all in

they only have 34 models. you seem to be under the impression that they are the only ones:

Trek: 42 ebike models

Specialized: 11 base models, multiple builds of each, at least 32 total

giant somehow only has 13

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
they only have 34 models. you seem to be under the impression that they are the only ones:

Trek: 42 ebike models

Specialized: 11 base models, multiple builds of each, at least 32 total

giant somehow only has 13

yeah, i'm juan bree on FB. don't ask why.
1590698674123.png