Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The new Aeroduro(TM) handlebar extensions from Farr.
We have merged the hottest trends in cycling, aero and enduro, to make you win the not-timed climbs at your local Cat5 enduro races and the road commute to/from you local jump spot. Put these on your enduro or DJ bike and enjoy the benefits of aero that many roadies already appreciate. Skinsuit sold separately.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
The new Aeroduro(TM) handlebar extensions from Farr.
We have merged the hottest trends in cycling, aero and enduro, to make you win the not-timed climbs at your local Cat5 enduro races and the road commute to/from you local jump spot. Put these on your enduro or DJ bike and enjoy the benefits of aero that many roadies already appreciate. Skinsuit sold separately.
still better than this:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's not new or particularly crazy.
The lycra dude in the pics doesn't seem to have grasped the concept of tucking his elbows in or flattening his forearms though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I might do that for my fat-bike when I race it on gravel to piss people off.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Even if you don't want one, guys starting small companies to make a gizmo that they would personally find useful is NOT what is wrong with the industry.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
actually think this is a clever gizmo - for steep up / down riding. nose down is so much more comfy on steep grinders, but the rear of the seat gets in the way on the downs (plus looks totally wank when lowered). actually prefer nose up a bit when slammed, but the perineum won't allow that for climbing. soooo... at a reasonable price point (bit skeptical this is achievable however), i'd totally give one a go.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My problem with it is it wasn't completely infinitely adjustable.
You have an issue with a prototype as yet to be released product you've never tried not being infinitely adjustable?

YOU Sir are what's wrong with the industry.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
YOU Sir are what's wrong with the industry.
Yes I am, but for different reasons.

I was trying to decide if this should be in the right or wrong thread.

I don't think I am the target market but I would try one.

I really just posted it cause I could.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Instead of that homemade NYCFreeride-looking monstrosity...

I use a 200mm dropper post on my trail bike.
and when your "trail" saddle is fully dropped nose down it LOOKS embarassingly bad ;)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm not single and don't post pics of my muddy and scraped-up bike to PB, so it doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks about my ride. I currently run tires and suspension from different brands too!

and when your "trail" saddle is fully dropped nose down it LOOKS embarassingly bad ;)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I think the Switchgrade would be even better if it adjusted the angle of the dangle automatically when the rider raised or lowered the seat height. Nose goes down as the seat is raised. Nose goes up as the seat is lowered. It could probably we done with a mild cam or even a wedge that is actuated by by the motion of the dropper.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think the Switchgrade would be even better if it adjusted the angle of the dangle automatically when the rider raised or lowered the seat height. Nose goes down as the seat is raised. Nose goes up as the seat is lowered. It could probably we done with a mild cam or even a wedge that is actuated by by the motion of the dropper.
Specialized has a post that does this already.

Haven't ever seen one, but looking at it now, its only available in one size, so limited there quite a bit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
now you’ve said too much.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Specialized has a post that does this already.

Haven't ever seen one, but looking at it now, its only available in one size, so limited there quite a bit.
Only 110mm of travel. :twitch:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
How steep are the hills you're riding? Never in all my years of riding have I felt the need to adjust the seat angle like that. Can't say I've ever tried it either.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Strikes me as the kind of thing that I've never messed with because it's too much of a PITA to adjust, but it might be nice if it was an easy on the fly toggle. Or I might not care. But I'd definitely be curious to try one and find out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How steep are the hills you're riding?
Invert Bro

Never in all my years of riding have I felt the need to adjust the seat angle like that. Can't say I've ever tried it either.
It's not really just about how steep a trail you're riding is. Nose up is better for all descending. Remember your saddle is a contact point when you're stood up too and I want my dropped trail/Enduro bike's saddle to replicate the angle I run on a DH and a DJ bike. I personally find a saddle fucking horrible against my inner thigh when it's pointing nose downwards. It's also far nicer nose up and adds clearance when manualling, bunnyhopping and jumping. That extra room is especially handy for a goon like me who can only really hold manuals off the rear brake. (Sorry @buckoW. I eventually gave up practicing holding them while brake dragging and have gone back to just holding them as long as i can without touching my brake)

Those specialized WU posts were a great idea but they were pretty terrible in use and unreliable as hell. Worst of all was the feature where they extended so fast that if you weren't careful they'd knock your balls clean back up inside you Bruce Lee style.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Invert Bro

It's not really just about how steep a trail you're riding is. Nose up is better for all descending. Remember your saddle is a contact point when you're stood up too and I want my dropped trail/Enduro bike's saddle to replicate the angle I run on a DH and a DJ bike. I personally find a saddle fucking horrible against my inner thigh when it's pointing nose downwards. It's also far nicer nose up and adds clearance when manualling, bunnyhopping and jumping. That extra room is especially handy for a goon like me who can only really hold manuals off the rear brake. (Sorry @buckoW. I eventually gave up practicing holding them while brake dragging and have gone back to just holding them as long as i can without touching my brake)

Those specialized WU posts were a great idea but they were pretty terrible in use and unreliable as hell. Worst of all was the feature where they extended so fast that if you weren't careful they'd knock your balls clean back up inside you Bruce Lee style.
Who runs a saddle nose-downwards though? I mean, 99.99% of saddles I see will be level and occasionally tilted up a bit on DH bikes. I'd think it's just as much about not snagging on your shorts, tilted up would help with that.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Who runs a saddle nose-downwards though? I mean, 99.99% of saddles I see will be level and occasionally tilted up a bit on DH bikes. I'd think it's just as much about not snagging on your shorts, tilted up would help with that.
all. the. people. who like to talk about all the super steep climbing they do. :twitch:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Ah ha. I just realized this is a height thing.

When my 210mm dropper is dropped, the saddle is nowhere near my thigh... it’s right below my knee. There’re no clearance issues or chance of my shorts catching on it.

Carry on!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Kulhavy was famous for running the saddle that way. I've always thought it had more to do with the fact Specialized didn't make a size XXXL Epic than with personal preference.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
When my 210mm dropper is dropped, the saddle is nowhere near my thigh... it’s right below my knee. There’re no clearance issues or chance of my shorts catching on it.
But how do you control the bike around corners with a saddle that low? If I am not riding trials style trails then I am happy with a post dropped by 80-100 mm. On one bike I have a 180 mm drop Vecnum and only use the lowest position if on the pump track or on this one dual slalom-like trail.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't do a ton of saddle steering, but my leg works fine in the rare cases where I need that extra leverage.

But how do you control the bike around corners with a saddle that low? If I am not riding trials style trails then I am happy with a post dropped by 80-100 mm. On one bike I have a 180 mm drop Vecnum and only use the lowest position if on the pump track or on this one dual slalom-like trail.