Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Again, welcome to the club! I fractured my right foot's big toe 5 weeks ago. Had the cast removed last Tuesday.
I was on vacation for two weeks. Plus a bunch of other stuff before and after that. Trying to get my trail bike up and running again. Got my db inline and upgraded during vacation, shipped to CC the day before I left. Was delivered the day I got home.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You guys sound like a bunch of chicks or middle aged white dudes who wear tan cargo shorts and polos....
(Shit that sounds like me too)...
In that case we sound cool!!!!!lol

I gave up tan for the most part and rock converse still....fight the middle aged fight guys...

As I get older I realize I'd rock a speedo to the mall...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
BENTLEY BALANCE BIKES WITH DISC BRAKES BITCHEZZZZZZ

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still half the price of the sworks

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How is that frame made? Doesn't appear to be welded anywhere, it looks quite impressive.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i get a garmin discount through work, plus $400/yr reimbursement for exercise equipment. 830 bundle cost me $40 out of pocket.
You should try the Garmin Fenix watch...I have had every iteration since the 3...ony 6x sapphire now and love it...Andrea has one as well...use it for mx, hiking running, biking camping, backwoods snowboarding....out of all my gear it's my most usefull tool...
Was Suunto for years beforehand for scuba diving and outdoors....then Garmin 3...never looked back.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You should try the Garmin Fenix watch...I have had every iteration since the 3...ony 6x sapphire now and love it...Andrea has one as well...use it for mx, hiking running, biking camping, backwoods snowboarding....out of all my gear it's my most usefull tool...
Was Suunto for years beforehand for scuba diving and outdoors....then Garmin 3...never looked back.
gotta wait till next year when my annual exercise reimbursement resets.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
the new solar version is very tempting, i hate having to charge things on a daily basis. it's a good bit above my reimbursement, so i'd have to make up the difference. but still.
Nope ..the screen scratches easy...I'm way to hard on watches and the sapphire is beyond durable...I won't touch anything but sapphire...

I put 60 grit flap disc against face of one I was getting warrantied at best buy...I literally sat it on there 10,000 rpm...on screen.....
The bezel etched away the screen was flawless after 6 seconds...I had to really push it down and use a combination of heat and abrasion to start to chew it...ingot it but the 6 seconds is longer than you will ever put a bearing on it real world..

I charge mine every week and a half or more but I use it daily for runs gos, heart rate listen to music at least hour and half at gym lifting daily

.the battery on non solar is badass....solar has a trickle charge it's not a perfected design for fast charging yet...more if a gimmick imo.

I have smacked my screen on cut chromoly tubes fabricating and nicked bezel but screen remained flawless..

Only SAPHIRE!!!!!!!! You wont regret it...I was going to get the solar but it wasn't SAPHIRE...so I'll pass..

Here's backwoods snowboarding map on from last winter...
Screenshot_20210722-082736_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nope ..the screen scratches easy...I'm way to hard on watches and the sapphire is beyond durable...I won't touch anything but sapphire...

I put 60 grit flap disc against face of one I was getting warrantied at best buy...I literally sat it on there 10,000 rpm...on screen.....
The bezel etched away the screen was flawless after 6 seconds...I had to really push it down and use a combination of heat and abrasion to start to chew it...ingot it but the 6 seconds is longer than you will ever put a bearing on it real world...

I have smacked my screen on cut chromoly tunes fabricating and nicked bezel but screen remained flawless..

Only SAPHIRE!!!!!!!! You wont regret it...I was going to get the solar but it wasn't SAPHIRE...so I'll pass..
i'm not a caveman like you :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Has a larger rear rotor.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The bezel etched away the screen was flawless after 6 seconds...I had to really push it down and use a combination of heat and abrasion to start to chew it...ingot it but the 6 seconds is longer than you will ever put a bearing on it real world..

I charge mine every week and a half or more but I use it daily for runs gos, heart rate listen to music at least hour and half at gym lifting daily

.the battery on non solar is badass....solar has a trickle charge it's not a perfected design for fast charging yet...more if a gimmick imo.

I have smacked my screen on cut chromoly tubes fabricating and nicked bezel but screen remained flawless..

Here's backwoods snowboarding map on from last winter...
View attachment 162508
I'm still rocking the Instinct and it works good for my purposes. I don't use it as a map, but it *can* navigate. I use it as a tracker to see how many miles/time I've ridden for and it's outstanding like that, in addition to recording the rides. I think the screen works well because it's super recess/sunk in to the watch face, , vs that looks like the screen is *almost* flush with the top of the watch. I can't imagine this one is sapphire for the price, but I bang my watch all the time on shit and go rock climbing with it and I know if I had a flush screen it'd be scratched to hell. I have a nice citizen that my parents gave me for graduation but I basically can't wear it, because I bang into shit.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm still rocking the Instinct and it works good for my purposes. I don't use it as a map, but it *can* navigate. I use it as a tracker to see how many miles/time I've ridden for and it's outstanding like that, in addition to recording the rides. I think the screen works well because it's super recess/sunk in to the watch face, , vs that looks like the screen is *almost* flush with the top of the watch. I can't imagine this one is sapphire for the price, but I bang my watch all the time on shit and go rock climbing with it and I know if I had a flush screen it'd be scratched to hell. I have a nice citizen that my parents gave me for graduation but I basically can't wear it, because I bang into shit.
We take the 450s to the desert I have a custom mx app. Tells me speed gps location,compass, map top speed heart tracks miles etc ..I use one of the screens for my sun rise and sunset on all my apps...

I have one for the track for fast laps on the bikes and hr allows me to see where I panick and where I don't...as well as lap speeds...

We ran in redwoods and wife got off course, she brought up her map on app and found her way back out even under the canopy...we ran in Malibu up in hills and at mile 10 we got off course...looked at mP found the Y in the trail where I passed the turn......

LOVE THESE WATCHES.....

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've got the non-Sapphire Fenix 6 Pro (birthday present from family) and it has been incredibly robust. They're still a Gorilla Glass 5 face so less likely to crack but easier to scratch. Previously I've had Vivoactive and Fenix 3 and the stuff I've put those watches through and they've survived is impressive. Lets just say they're surprisingly resistant to industrial chemicals and electrical current....

One of the welders at work has the Fenix Solar and reckons he's never charged it, just keeps it topped up with TIG arc flash and direct sunlight..

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've got the non-Sapphire Fenix 6 Pro (birthday present from family) and it has been incredibly robust.
I hope I am not going to jinx myself but same experience with the vanilla Fenix 5 here. OTOH, the fuckers in Garmin were too cheap to make the charging contact resistant to corrosion, my 1st watch was replaced under warranty and the replacement is getting badly corroded as well.
Something to watch, I guess. :rimshot:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hope I am not going to jinx myself but same experience with the vanilla Fenix 5 here. OTOH, the fuckers in Garmin were too cheap to make the charging contact resistant to corrosion, my 1st watch was replaced under warranty and the replacement is getting badly corroded as well.
Must be a faulty unit. My Vivoactive hr is exposed to salt water on a regular basis.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My problem was the charging cable, it somehow corroded and would not make contact with the watch. New cable fixed it.