Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't follow Wheelbased closely and was surprised he seems to like that master cylinder inside handlebar situation.
It sure seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Then again, he tagged dangerholmes on the Insta post, so I guess it's a logical continuation of the "looks clean bro" design trend.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Amaury seems like a good kid. He should take the course being offered and learn from it and be done with this mess.

Muc-Off has ads featuring sexy women (see above) that people can point to and claim misogyny/exploitation. They are doing this now probably for fear of getting cancelled.

I used to play and watch soccer back in the 90s and early 2000s. Italy and eastern European countries seemed to be the most racist and probably still are. There was a recent incident though where a black german player and his teamates walked off the pitch because he claimed he was racially abused. The opponents however were mostly black. They could have been saying stuff like "watch the black (negro) one."

My province is called Negros (divided into Oriental and Occidental) because the Spanish saw that our island was inhabited by dark skinned natives. Growing up we would call blacks negro or itom (black) and caucasians puti (white) or kano (short for Americano no matter the nationality). It was only later that I learned to say Black or African-American, etc. My mother told me that when I was three I asked one of our African students if he was a monkey (we had a picture of a black and albino monkey or ape in our room) he picked me up and taught me the song "Jesus loves the little children" which has the line "red and yellow black and white, we are precious in His sight." I actually remembered that song and internalised it moving forward. I never thought differently about other races. Character was the most important thing, i.e. not being an asshole. Haha. Children are not born hateful, they are taught to hate.

On the other hand from what I've read from articles and social media those in the USA who are sending their kids to school should steer clear of institutions increasingly influenced by disciplines who throw academic rigour and science out the window or who are intent on pushing narratives on race, gender, etc that are not based in fact. There actually is an organization of more than 5,000 academics called the Heterodox Academy who are working to "improve the quality of research and education in universities by increasing open inquiry, viewpoint diversity, and constructive disagreement." They are an ethnically diverse group as well. That would be a good place to start in my opinion.

I would like to see more people who look like me in mountain biking and elsewhere. They just need real equal opportunity and then they will succeed on their own merits.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's an awful lot of big talk and policing/meddling from a company whose entire line of products can be replaced for a fraction of the price from the hardware store.

Fuck them for thinking they're that special.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'd be curious as to what they pay the team, riders residuals for placement and adds....
Must do pretty good.
Im going to go out on s limb and say tree-fiddy.

What I find most interesting about that shit show is that Muc-Off decided to drop the entire team who’s manager posted the video, but not only kept the guy who actually did the offensive thing on their team, but they’re insisting that they pay for his sensitivity training. If they really found it that reprehensible, shouldn’t they cut AM? Or at least make home pay for the training out of his own pocket?

Or is that they only care enough to make an example out of the development team to get the brownie points, but not enough to do anything to the guy who puts their name on the podium?

Not that I think AM deserves tobe cut for this, but if Muc Off is drawing a line, they sure chose a weird one.

Now, back to selling soap with gratuitous tits and ass.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Im going to go out on s limb and say tree-fiddy.

What I find most interesting about that shit show is that Muc-Off decided to drop the entire team who’s manager posted the video, but not only kept the guy who actually did the offensive thing on their team, but they’re insisting that they pay for his sensitivity training. If they really found it that reprehensible, shouldn’t they cut AM? Or at least make home pay for the training out of his own pocket?

Or is that they only care enough to make an example out of the development team to get the brownie points, but not enough to do anything to the guy who puts their name on the podium?

Not that I think AM deserves tobe cut for this, but if Muc Off is drawing a line, they sure chose a weird one.

Now, back to selling soap with gratuitous tits and ass.
Well you gotta use Tits and Ass™, because how the fuck else are you going to sell something you can get at the supermarket for 99 cents?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
It sounds like 10 people read it,
1 person saw something that wasn't,
And now a sponsor makes it known to the world that he's "racist". More or less to bring their company to the spotlight as a hero.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well you gotta use Tits and Ass™, because how the fuck else are you going to sell something you can get at the supermarket for 99 cents?
Sounds like your talking about a woman and marriage...the tits and ass I got here cost me alot more than .99....went to a restaurant, apparently I should have gone to your supermarket...would have saved me $, could have bought a $10k bike then lol

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
It sounds like 10 people read it,
1 person saw something that wasn't,
And now a sponsor makes it known to the world that he's "racist". More or less to bring their company to the spotlight as a hero.
That's pretty much it: virtue signaling from Muc-off.

Amaury is not the first nor the last WC racer to do/say stupid stuff. It seems that's pretty much everything some of them do apart from riding bikes fast.

Everybody agrees this was highly moronic, he apologized publicly and I think it could have been left like that and dealt with internally. The main punishment for Amaury is that this probably reduced his "value" in the eyes of his sponsors. He was a true golden boy and now his present and future sponsors know he has a questionnable judgement and he can be somewhat of a loose cannon on social media. That can't be good.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That's pretty much it: virtue signaling from Muc-off.

Amaury is not the first nor the last WC racer to do/say stupid stuff. It seems that's pretty much everything some of them do apart from riding bikes fast.

Everybody agrees this was highly moronic, he apologized publicly and I think it could have been left like that and dealt with internally. The main punishment for Amaury is that this probably reduced his "value" in the eyes of his sponsors. He was a true golden boy and now his present and future sponsors know he has a questionnable judgement and he can be somewhat of a loose cannon on social media. That can't be good.
I mostly agree with you. But I wonder how much of the "questionable judgement" is Amaury's alone. I mean he's doing the riding, but who is doing the editing, dubbing, and marketing of all their videos?

As impressed as I am with the riding in all the Commençal team videos, watching a bunch of privileged white boys riding with gansta rap in the background always made me cringe. I get that they probably love the music and the energy, but using it in marketing and promo videos it just feels off to me. And that's not down to just Amaury alone. And that practice has been going back a long time, maybe even before Muc-Off became a sponsor. e.g. this is from 2017. I get that maybe the French have a different relationship with the n-word, and even American pop-culture in general, but as a global brand they really should have someone advising them a bit better.

Muc-Off had to be going into this with their eyes wide open. If they didn't like it, then they shouldn't have sponsored the team. Or, they could have tried to exert a bit more editorial influence. The way I see it, either this is them saying "we've had enough - we tried, screw you guys" or it's virtue-signaling. I can see both being possible. But when I see their own marketing strategy (sex sells), it certainly makes me think it's the latter. And it definitely makes me not want to support them as a company.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Metric shocks. Almost all aftermarket shocks are medium tunes. Most of the metric-shock bikes are using more stroke and damn few need a "M" tune. Obesity is countering this though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As a genuine fatass, who also can ride a bike moderately well, I appreciate those tokens, stiffer tunes and well controlled suspension.

And big brakes.