Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Speaking of drivetrains...

Sure cramming in extra gears seems like a good idea, but between 11 and 12 speed, I don't see a big difference between cog ranges. I think most people use the upper half (as in the half of the cassette that has the low gears) more than the lower half. So what's the point in adding more gears if you're not gonna use them?
1637687565271.png

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I'm digging my 12-42 8 speed drivetrain. No adjusting and no backpedal issues. This in spite of some warping of the cassette since the Microshift Alcolyte is cheap and pinned with plastic spacers between each gear, or maybe my DT Swiss alu freehub body is getting chewed up?? Now, if only someone would make an alu carrier all steel gear 11-42t cassette :drool:

I still don't get the need for moar gears. These aren't road bikes.
I feel ya.

Used the last of the hoarded 11 speed stuff on this one. Shifters/derailleurs are getting harder to find..
32t front ring and 11-42 is plenty!

sus-small.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I could cope with the 30T and 42 at the back on my 27.5" bike on all but the steepest pitches or when you're at 12k vert and don't GAF about pedaling.

But on the new bike I'm liking the 30 oval with the 10-52 out back. It's heavier and 29er wheels, so the 30/42 combo is slightly harder than my old easiest option, but the 52 gives me wall climbing ability when I need it for short burst or at altitude next summer. The oval seems to make a difference (blackspire fyi).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
What bike did you get?

I could cope with the 30T and 42 at the back on my 27.5" bike on all but the steepest pitches or when you're at 12k vert and don't GAF about pedaling.

But on the new bike I'm liking the 30 oval with the 10-52 out back. It's heavier and 29er wheels, so the 30/42 combo is slightly harder than my old easiest option, but the 52 gives me wall climbing ability when I need it for short burst or at altitude next summer. The oval seems to make a difference (blackspire fyi).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yep, been there. Only for V2 or AF model of Ripmo. I have the V1.

I do remember the Ibis enduro team (robin wallner, bex barona) back in the day of their V1 Ripmos running different shock than the fancy X2 I have. Now I'm understanding why.

It's not the end of the world. Just a little heart burn on certain chunks of trail. :)

I found that just running zero or one spacers and a fair bit higher pressure than recommended in the shock makes my V1 ride rather nice. IIRC I am at 230-235 psi for a 180lb rider. Very little detriment to small bump sensitivity but now a lot more supportive and playful. I can put on my trailside engineer hat and say that the leverage curve could be better but when it comes to how it rides now I can't muster a real complaint.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I found that just running zero or one spacers and a fair bit higher pressure than recommended in the shock makes my V1 ride rather nice. IIRC I am at 230-235 psi for a 180lb rider. Very little detriment to small bump sensitivity but now a lot more supportive and playful. I can put on my trailside engineer hat and say that the leverage curve could be better but when it comes to how it rides now I can't muster a real complaint.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to check my settings again and see where I'm at.

How do you run your compression settings?

I assume you're running a FLOAT X2 as well? Or DPX2?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Here's what's wrong with the industry.

PinkBike Academy.

What. The. Ever. Living. Fuck.

The woman just started watching these.

What I briefly saw combined three things that are all individually nauseating. Enduro, reality TV, and "how to be an influencer". This makes me want to shit my brains and vomit my spleen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

PinkBike Academy.

What I briefly saw combined three things that are all individually nauseating. Enduro, reality TV, and "how to be an influencer". This makes me want to shit my brains and vomit my spleen.
You mean outside+ academy?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

PinkBike Academy.

I know that's not for me and never clicked play. Easy.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm not sure what bothers me more - the fact that it's just SO lame and cringe'y all-around, or the fact that they call it an "academy" and there's no instruction going on. Just a bunch of dumbass tests.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's 100% because you're old and out of touch with the younger generations.

Hope that helps you get over yourselves

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm gonna start ridemonkey academy. here's how the episodes will work out:

1. Beer mile. Chug a beer, ride a mile. repeat until you barf. last one standing wins
  2. retro-grouch race - race a DH track on a rigid hardtail that's 2 sizes too big with cantilever brakes, toe clips, and kenda nevagels. all racers must shotgun a beer at the starting line. all survivors proceed. winner shotguns another beer, losers shotgun 2 beers
  3. hamfist challenge - service a suspension fork of your choice (2015 or newer) with only a hammer and an impact wrench
  4. huck to flat challenge - huck a Pole bike to flat. drop height increases until the bike breaks. winner determined by most catastrophic failure. everybody drinks.
  5. armchair engineer challenge - smoke a fat doobie, design a suspension bike. all bikes will be fabricated by jan karpiel.
  6. armchair engineer race- smoke another fat doobie, race the bike you designed. all survivors win

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

1. Beer mile. Chug a beer, ride a mile. repeat until you barf. last one standing wins
  2. retro-grouch race - race a DH track on a rigid hardtail that's 2 sizes too big with cantilever brakes, toe clips, and kenda nevagels. all racers must shotgun a beer at the starting line. all survivors proceed. winner shotguns another beer, losers shotgun 2 beers
  3. hamfist challenge - service a suspension fork of your choice (2015 or newer) with only a hammer and an impact wrench
  4. huck to flat challenge - huck a Pole bike to flat. drop height increases until the bike breaks. winner determined by most catastrophic failure. everybody drinks.
  5. armchair engineer challenge - smoke a fat doobie, design a suspension bike. all bikes will be fabricated by jan karpiel.
  6. armchair engineer race- smoke another fat doobie, race the bike you designed. all survivors win
That's a lot of actually riding bikes required, not sure you'll find enough competitors.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

I'd actually watch this shit/participate. Except for the smoking but I'm sure another few beers wouldn't hurt. Unless they did.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I'm fucking IN. :homer: