Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
my lbs deals in Hope. and they're really good with this sort of thing. want me to reach out? (or, you can give them a call too: https://www.phatmoosecycles.com/) If they won't ship, I'm happy to pick up and put in the mail myself. Tell them Sly will pick it up.
Nice one.

Similarly, these folks are local to me and carry Hope. They might have something for you: https://www.sportsauxpuceslongueuil.com/

(I know, totally random that you'd also buy used ice skates from them... but they specialize in proper high end mtb as well)

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
This should be filed under "this is what's wrong period." I just found out that Kyle Warner was one of the very few people who developed pericarditis and other side effects after getting vaccinated which has left him unable to work or do much for several months. What makes the whole thing much worse is that in trying to speak about his experience, and despite declaring he was not anti-vaccine or on any political side, he has received so much hate from both sides to the point of feeling suicidal (see his Instagram).

I got two doses of the Sinovac vaccine (China) in July and felt tired for a couple of days after each dose.

Now I'm not American, I don't know him personally but I have seen his videos and he has always seemed like a very nice person, a net positive for the human race. I messaged him once to ask something about suspension because we use the same unrideable fork and he was kind enough to reply and provide useful information. The guy wouldn't fit in here with us at the monkey, not bitter and cynical enough.

I just hope he gets better and that he has all the support that he needs.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I really dislike Canada's distributor model for bike parts and whatnot.

I contacted Hope asking if I could buy a few small parts (1 pawl spring lol, seal etc). They reply with nope, don't sell directly so contact xxxx distributor.

xxxx distributor is in BC. And of course there is not a fat chance that I can even interact with them, as a low level consumer pleb.

Of course their dealer list is outdated, majority of the shops are listed as street addresses only. And most are located in downtown Toronto or way far away.

Ughhhh. Why can't we just buy small stuff directly from the source? Its not like any of these shops are going to have this stuff in stock anyways.
Hope sent me a couple of Pro 2 axles directly way back when. I bought some Syntace hubs from OS and the freehub went boom.
I contacted our local distro asking if I could buy the parts, Syntace sent over stronger internals and the distro sent them to me at no charge.
I felt bad so I bought some stuff from them, I would buy Syntace hubs again they are lighter than Hopes and have bearing preload adjustment.

I still have quite the hate for Hope products, maybe they are decent now.......?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Hope sent me a couple of Pro 2 axles directly way back when. I bought some Syntace hubs from OS and the freehub went boom.
I contacted our local distro asking if I could buy the parts, Syntace sent over stronger internals and the distro sent them to me at no charge.
I felt bad so I bought some stuff from them, I would buy Syntace hubs again they are lighter than Hopes and have bearing preload adjustment.

I still have quite the hate for Hope products, maybe they are decent now.......?
I've beat the crap outta two sets of Hope hubs over the past 12 years (first pro2 then pro4 when I changed bikes/axle standards) with almost no maintenance and zero issues.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Ps. don't buy Hope stuff if you're not in the UK.
There's nothing special about Hope products, they're no lighter, more durable, technologically superior or higher performance to mass produced far eastern factory parts at all and only real benefit from running it is that they make their complete spares range readily available (Here)
I agree
except for the pedals they are more durable, and technologically superior :rockout:

Seals that work and front loaded pins....

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
This should be filed under "this is what's wrong period." I just found out that Kyle Warner was one of the very few people who developed pericarditis and other side effects after getting vaccinated which has left him unable to work or do much for several months. What makes the whole thing much worse is that in trying to speak about his experience, and despite declaring he was not anti-vaccine or on any political side, he has received so much hate from both sides to the point of feeling suicidal (see his Instagram).

I got two doses of the Sinovac vaccine (China) in July and felt tired for a couple of days after each dose.

Now I'm not American, I don't know him personally but I have seen his videos and he has always seemed like a very nice person, a net positive for the human race. I messaged him once to ask something about suspension because we use the same unrideable fork and he was kind enough to reply and provide useful information. The guy wouldn't fit in here with us at the monkey, not bitter and cynical enough.

I just hope he gets better and that he has all the support that he needs.
I know him well from years of racing against each other. He his a really good guy and what happened to him sucks, all around.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
except for the pedals they are more durable, and technologically superior :rockout:
Hope Technologically superior maybe ;)

a couple of riders I know are using Hope's clipless pedals and can't sing their praises enough after coming from Crank Bros. Both their bikes are adorned with tons of anodised hope parts though so make of that what you will.
I rarely ride clips off road so kinda don't care.

Hope's F-20 flats seem like they were designed by a CNC programmer with OCD who doesn't actually ride.
What's with the overly rounded pedal body shape that gives your foot a much SMALLER platform than the footprint of the Alloy?
in combination with stupid trailing edge pin placement that has no real NO CORNER PIN and as for those centre pins ? the corrugated anodised platform surface that offers LESS grip? Especially once you remove them
at least they still come with all the pins in a bag for the buyer to fit themselves and sixteen colours to match their shitely designed hubs!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hope Technologically superior maybe ;)

a couple of riders I know are using Hope's clipless pedals and can't sing their praises enough after coming from Crank Bros. Both their bikes are adorned with tons of anodised hope parts though so make of that what you will.
I rarely ride clips off road so kinda don't care.

Hope's F-20 flats seem like they were designed by a CNC programmer with OCD who doesn't actually ride.
What's with the overly rounded pedal body shape that gives your foot a much SMALLER platform than the footprint of the Alloy?
in combination with stupid trailing edge pin placement that has no real NO CORNER PIN and as for those centre pins ? the corrugated anodised platform surface that offers LESS grip? Especially once you remove them
at least they still come with all the pins in a bag for the buyer to fit themselves and sixteen colours to match their shitely designed hubs!
To be fair, a club to the knees would be an upgrade after crank brothers.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not that I ever wanted to use any of their old stuff, but I do like my Crank Bros Stamp 7 large pedals so far for the sets I've got. Nice and big for size 13 feet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To be fair, a club to the knees would be an upgrade after crank brothers.
I used crank Bros for a few years (actually still have them on my dh bike) and didn't hate them. They weren't without issue, but I get why some people prefer them. I'm back on spd these days. Curious to hear more about hopes clipless pedals. The thing they'll really need to compete with Shimano is durability.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I used crank Bros for a few years (actually still have them on my dh bike) and didn't hate them. They weren't without issue, but I get why some people prefer them. I'm back on spd these days. Curious to hear more about hopes clipless pedals. The thing they'll really need to compete with Shimano is durability.
A couple friends have jumped to HT and have nothing but good things to say about them. They even come with cleats in two different floats, and bearings/bushings seem to hold up well after two years of serious Enduro/DH riding.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC

View attachment 168856
View attachment 168857

From the article:
"RP Designs' core mission is to drive rapid and targeted innovation in products designed for the broader cycling sector, and the Ellsworth brand is a great fit," Pienaar said. "Not only will we instill the company's core mission into every Ellsworth product, but products will have RP Designs technology either as standard or as an option, which we expect will drive tremendous value for riders and stakeholders alike."

ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhaa
:rofl:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
From the article:
"RP Designs' core mission is to drive rapid and targeted innovation in products designed for the broader cycling sector, and the Ellsworth brand is a great fit," Pienaar said. "Not only will we instill the company's core mission into every Ellsworth product, but products will have RP Designs technology either as standard or as an option, which we expect will drive tremendous value for riders and stakeholders alike."

ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhaa
:rofl:
So they sold Ellsworth for three fiddy? Sounds about right. This is comedy gold: https://www.startengine.com/rpdesign
I have a new career goal: becoming a senior banqueting coordinator. :think:

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So they sold Ellsworth for three fiddy? Sounds about right. This is comedy gold: https://www.startengine.com/rpdesign
I have a new career goal: becoming a senior banqueting coordinator. :think:
even more gold / magic:

from that page:
"
We are targeting 3 markets with tremendous 5-year growth forecasts: bicycles ($67 billion), accessories ($13 billion) and computers ($500 million)*

The Smart-Cockpit™ is designed to make any new or existing bicycle Smart in minutes.

We believe our subsidiary, Ellsworth, is a prestigious and respected USA bicycle brand.
"

cannot make this up :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
even more gold / magic:

from that page:
"
We are targeting 3 markets with tremendous 5-year growth forecasts: bicycles ($67 billion), accessories ($13 billion) and computers ($500 million)*

The Smart-Cockpit™ is designed to make any new or existing bicycle Smart in minutes.

We believe our subsidiary, Ellsworth, is a prestigious and respected USA bicycle brand.
"

alright, taking bets on when they file for C11.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
even more gold / magic:

from that page:
"

"

1639597353461.jpeg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I dunno guys… it seems to me that Ellsworth has a ton of potential as a lifestyle brand focusing on apparel.

I mean, this logo seems on-trend for 2022, no?

8C87E302-EF56-4738-83DE-AC5005FF45A1.jpeg

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Stefan Pierer / his company, majority owner and CEO of KTM AG, bought Felt a few weeks ago. His company may start to sell more bikes under the Husky banner.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Kyle Warner's story is sad, even tragic.

That's he's been co-opted by whackjobs like RFK Jr. should upset all of us.