Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't have any concept of heart rates. I feel like my heart rate is pretty elevated riding moto or DH when I'm going hard. I want to see the graph showing constant pedal output over 200w with spikes into the 400s. Then I want to see the poor drivetrain that suffered under 600-1000w for most of a ride. Nah, actually I don't care. Arguing that ebikes are exercise is like saying motos are. Of course they are. You're riding aggressively and feel tired at the end. Doesn't mean you're the one propelling the bike though. I just accept ebikes for what they are, short travel lightweight motos with a 21mph governor and a weird throttle system. When I can get what is essentially a Surron (200mm travel, DH geometry, aftermarket twist throttle) that's half the weight and still has decent range cuz I can turn off the motor and pedal during the transfers I probably will. It'll replace Surron rides though (which replaced KTM rides), not MTB rides.
don't sweat it. toshi's obsession with metrics is how he makes up for his lack of speed (as demonstrated by his continued use of shimano brakes and claims of not having issues with them) and helps him justify his ebike (to him at least)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
don't sweat it. toshi's obsession with metrics is how he makes up for his lack of speed (as demonstrated by his continued use of shimano brakes and claims of not having issues with them) and helps him justify his ebike (to him at least)
Come out and ride here. I'm 99% certain I'm faster than you descending, free of e-influence. :)

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
some guy nearly buzzed me on a climb once, he was on an ebike (I did let him pass when i had a spot to safely pull off). i returned the favor on the descent. when he got all pissy with me i reminded him of his shenanigans on the climb and he promptly shut the fuck up.
Ya, but did he let you by?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I really can't believe people do the "tire buzzing" that's effed up. What? We can't use our voice anymore?

Buzz me once, sure. I'm sure it was an "accident". Buzz me twice and that's grounds for mini pump in the front wheel! The Sylentk's don't messabout! What happened to Trail Etiquette? Jeebus...

:)

If you're on an eeb, chill the eff out. Real people on real bikes are trying to work here. I totally respect that. I used to be one of those. I'm just trying to have fun and get in a bit of a work out. Speaking as an eeb rider (and still ride the regular bike). I assume these douche bags are new to the sport? And have no trail etiquette?

Oh did I ever tell you the time I got passed by a super fit XC dude on a steep ass climb, and I was on my eeb, he was not? I was like go bro! No tire buzzing necessary. Because Trail Etiquette. Pass it on.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
oh so you can actually get fast enough on a descent that the motor won't kick in?
I'm sure Toshi is capable. Not that I've ever ridden with him. @Toshi when you coming up to NOCO to ride with me? :)

Speaking from experience, if the motor is cutting out. You are going fast enough. And maybe you should chill out especially if there are blind corners involved. This is mostly on a particular set of trails that are flat-ish. Not pure DH. As you don't really need to pedal that much on those DH ish trails. More the flat ish.

Just saying.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Speaking from experience, if the motor is cutting out. You are going fast enough
Experience of EU 15mph limit.
Or US 20mph limit?

The the 15mph limit here is annoying as hell as you constantly yoyo in and out of assistance. Derestricting to only 5mph faster (ie US spec) pretty much solves it off road.
28 would be a far better and safer limit for road going Ebikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Or US 20mph limit?

The the 15mph limit here is annoying as hell as you constantly yoyo in and out of assistance. Derestricting to only 5mph faster (ie US spec) pretty much solves it off road.
man i was giving toshi a lot more credit, i thought it was 25mph in the US

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Can't we just limit pedal asist to lower speeds? Since the idea is the bikes should make climbs EASIER not faster. At least for most people.

Though I have to say it really did seem like someone was looking for an excuse to ban bikes.
That might help a bit, but I don't think it gets to the heart of the debate, which is that a bike with a motor isn't a bicycle to all but those trying to rationalize it as such.

And, yeah, some of the trails around here are on shaky ground, access-wise.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Or US 20mph limit?

Yeah, I forgot about that. 15mph would kinda be less fun.

There are ways to cheat that. But I don't really need to. But I did buy the magnets for it :brows:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:rofl:

I remember the first few trails we took Stoney on when he came to CO. One ride with Full Trucker and me, he cooked his brakes. Another he was blown away that we were on a legal trail. For all the crap we deal with on the front range we do have it good. Not the best, but definitely not the worst.
Good trails and riding buddies is what's right with mtn biking.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Having ridden it with Señor and Señorita Element, and Mssrs. Shitless and Stoney, I highly recommend an e-less climb from A-Basin to ride Lewanee for this dong-fight. Lewanee is so choice.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
finally, a question worth answering. it has been our experience where I am located (Ontario/Quebec in northeast North America)

- snip -
  • one older fellow that I let by on a climb, but couldn't ride DH worth shit, yet wouldn't let me pass on the descent. I had to take a break to let him ride ahead so I could still enjoy my descent. Why is that on me? I let him pass on the climb, why wouldn't he let me pass on the descent? I was on a 'lunch ride' and didn't have much spare time.
In Québec, I suggest you try screaming "TRACK TRACK TRACK TABARNAK!!!"

It shouldn't be necessary, I agree...but it's highly likely to work out . :)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
What motor's firmware is still so dumb you can fool the speed sensor with another magnet?
Mine's done using a 3rd party app.
a simple planetary gear will do. you are welcome

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Would it still void the warranty even if you remove it when you go to the LBS with your JRA issue?
Surely the brains would keep a record or the max RPM the motor has done?
A buddy of mine had a 2KW 2WD Kona Unit a good few years back, he loved it, the thing did 45M/h.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

simple yet ~100€ without shipping... :no:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
man i was giving toshi a lot more credit, i thought it was 25mph in the US
If there is a sheriff or cop in your area giving tickets on a Mountain they don't own or on the city street, they obviously have too much time on their hands.