Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Despite his love of mopeds I think he's the only other Brit posting on here, so I'm going to stick up for him.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You know I don't need any back up but the thought is appreciated. Cheers!
My enthusiasm for Emtb has always been massively overshadowed by my love of normal bikes. I'm just not stupid enough to dislike the idea of a small (but slightly heavy) battery powered electric motor assisting the pedal input on an otherwise normal bicycle.
As it happens. It's MOAR than 10 rides since I last rode with motor assistance. Well... Except the one day a diesel powered bus and driver took me and a few mates to the top of a local hill full of DH tracks 8 times. Not that it matters.

Hang me.

PS. There are still a few other Brits here. Seth can probably tell you MOAR about each of them than they could themselves.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i'm here to say that, in my monkey experience, despite his curmudgeonlyness, i'm pretty damn sure i'd have a helluva time riding the piss outta some fucking bikes with ol @Gary
Thanks man.
Bikes are fucking awesome. and that's ultimately why we all came here.
NEVER take me too seriously.
Life's too short.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I would punch him in his grundle.
Haha...
"I might be an old cunt but if you hit me I'm still goanae hit you back"
quote from me to a riding mate half my age fairly recently. Said in good humour. Obvs.
#ShitGarysaiz

I honestly can't imagine any warm blooded carnivorous male not enjoying Haggis

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
brokeyoke.jpg

chameleon.jpg

caliper.jpg

I replaced my broken bike yoke with a wolf tooth dropper. I was going to get a one up, but at the last minute decided to spend the extra money for the wolf tooth with the air purging feature.

I regret that decision now. The wolf tooth is really tight in the frame. It almost doesn't need the seat post clamp. So tight that you have to run higher than optimal air pressure for full extension.

This was something wrong with the industry I was not expecting. What the fuck!? I've run 4 other posts I can think of in this frame, and none of them were tight.

I measured the wolftooth OD compared to the bike yoke OD with a high quality caliper several times to make sure I had consistency of measurement. The wolftooth is about 3/1000 of an inch larger in OD than the bike yoke.

:bonk:

super lame.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
PNW was too loose in my frame and I had to tighten the collar to an unnatural amount. Resolve is perfect there, id much rather have this situation than having to crimp-lock the post. Resolve works similar to BY, not as smooth, but close.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
View attachment 185703

View attachment 185704

View attachment 185705

I replaced my broken bike yoke with a wolf tooth dropper. I was going to get a one up, but at the last minute decided to spend the extra money for the wolf tooth with the air purging feature.

I regret that decision now. The wolf tooth is really tight in the frame. It almost doesn't need the seat post clamp. So tight that you have to run higher than optimal air pressure for full extension.

This was something wrong with the industry I was not expecting. What the fuck!? I've run 4 other posts I can think of in this frame, and none of them were tight.

I measured the wolftooth OD compared to the bike yoke OD with a high quality caliper several times to make sure I had consistency of measurement. The wolftooth is about 3/1000 of an inch larger in OD than the bike yoke.

:bonk:

super lame.
send it back?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Just looked at the bike yoke website trying to figure out the warranty period. I don't see that info right away, but they do have a form you can send them and attach pictures if you have problems. Invoice of purchase is required, so that will take some hunting to find. If they replace the post I'll let you guys know.

*EDIT 24 month warranty. Post Outside of warranty. Email/photo sent to BikeYoke.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I had to learn octal (base 8) in one of my earlier computing courses. I've never seen it used anywhere in a > 20 year IT career.
I had a similar experience when starting a course in my late teens so asked the teacher what use it was. His genuine answer was "you can go on to teach it". I bid him farewell and left an IT career behind right there and then.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That was for Computing A-Level, the only reason I left my prior school and went to that one was for that course. I basically stopped going to the classes, the curriculum hadn't been updated in 20+ years.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I didn't finish school. Expelled in 3rd year. Then kicked out of home a year later. A computing course seemed like a good way to get off the dole at the time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gotta to sacrifice something for those world leading customer service/hospitality smiles

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The amount of stuff that is taught and never used is perplexing.

The human brain uses an adaptive learning technique where in a new situations it fashions together a patchwork world model based on similar previous experiences. It is literally how we navigate every new life experience we have. It not only applies to our subconscious decisions but can benefit us for more conscious creativity and problem solving abilities. Sadly when faced with new challenges a whole lot of people instantly give up if they haven't been explicitly taught how to handle the situation instead of applying that patchwork of knowledge they may have never previously applied that could enable them to handle the new circumstance. The only useless knowledge is false knowledge.

It is also impossible to predict what someone will need to know in life so a diverse education is important. It is also difficult for someone to know what they want to do in life without exposure to a lot of things. Unless you just want to assign a future for a child as they enter school and groom them specifically for the future you have decided upon.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Engineering students are certainly well known for this diversity. :happydance:

By people whose only knowledge of such matters comes only from watching sit coms.

When I was in grad school a group of us from our department did a weekly happy hour every Friday. One day a group of people from a nearby table approached us with a wager for a round of drinks. They were also students, suspected we also were and wanted to see if we could guess each others majors simply by observing each other. 30 minutes later they guessed we were English majors based on genders, dress and a previously overheard discussion we were having about a book. We correctly guessed they were anthropologists because who else would invent a fucking game like that. They were rather embarrassed.