Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Why is pf30 too narrow? I just installed a bb386 crank into a PF30 BB with the appropriate adapters. My understanding is the bb386 is PF30 with an extra10mm on each side. Why not have the option if you wanted a narrower q factor?
it limits how wide you can make the frame and suspension pivot, bad for stiffness-to-weight ratio. It works for road since they have narrow chainstays and want to keep the downtube somewhat narrow and aero. If you compare a PF92 frame like a new Scott (same width as a BB386 would be if done on a MTB) to a BSA frame like Santa Cruz the difference in the width of everything around the BB is massive. What frame designer wouldn't want that room to work with?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what in the name of new marketing bullshit are we all missing out on now?
uh, this is just physics. a heavy wheel/tire setup rotating will act as a gyroscope. part of why motorcycles are stable at speed

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have you seen the prairie dogs he has to dodge and run over on the way to work? Needs all the protection and gyroscopic stabilization that he can get!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and you *need* this for commuting...
Don't need it. It's nice when whirring along at 25-30 mph as I often do, me contributing maybe 125W, the "bike" kicking in 900.

* the commuter e-bike definitely feels like a moped. very different beast than my class 1 e-mtb, the Pivot Shuttle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
how do those Tour de France guys cope?
again, it's just physics. they would be more stable if they had more rotating mass. but clearly they don't see that as a worthwhile tradeoff.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
QFT. Most offices here won't let you get your bike indoors here, none if your office is in Boston proper.
The bike room at my new office is certified dank. A) it exists, B) it’s key card unlocked, c) it’s near the door to the building, D) it’s across from the gym and locker rooms. That’s where I’ll park the spooky

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So bikes need heavy wheels and everyone needs a big dildo, then the bike and rider would be stable?
I think I need to go back a page and catch up.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Really? I have CushyCore on one wheel, Tannus on another, and I prefer the ride of the Tannus. I think I can feel that it sits up higher and has a more gradual shock absorbtion. A bit lighter too.
EDIT: Just realized we're talking about different products. Me: tubeless insert. You: thing that goes over tube in tire.
Oh I'm talking about the Tannus tubeless inserts!

Looking at the price of Cushcore, I think I'm ready for Round 2 in this fight.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Here's a "what's wrong with the industry" for all the Mainstreamers out there (that hopefully doesn't affect most of us). Why do most of the cheap, popular, electric getting-around bikes use weird tire and wheel sizes? Super tiny wheels on Costco bikes. Fat tires on commuters that will never leave pavement. I've even seen small rims with fat tires. They do the job worse and are more difficult to find replacements for. Why do these companies think they need to spec weird tires to sell bikes?
Because most bicycles are sold to average Joe's who don't know anything about bikes. So most of these bikes are sold by looks.

Examples are in the 90's, bike shops still sold rigid bikes. Wally world started selling hardtails. So why buy a rigid for more money?
"Mine has suspension!". Dual suspension followed.
"My bike has dual suspension!"
"My bike has these 29" wheels!"
" I have a fat bike that can go in the snow! "
" My bike looks cool"
"I'M COOL AS FUCK ON MY E-BIKE!!!" said Gary.

That's all it's about really. Looks and marketing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Because most bicycles are sold to average Joe's who don't know anything about bikes.
this, all day long. when i worked in shops, for every bike we sold that was over $2000 we'd sell 20 bikes $500 or less. we'd even have people walk out because the cheapest bikes (around $300 at the time) we still "too expensive"

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
My wife and I use radrunner (edit: I said rad wagon in my initial post) e bikes. Without the e assist they’re awful - partly due to the geometry and wheel size making everything a slog.
However, when use as an ebike (as designed) they’re perfect for kid hauling, groceries, commuting, casual trips out etc.

The small wheels with big tyres make a lot of sense on an city style ebike. They absorb bumps, kerbs and potholes with ease, allow a lot of space for cargo/racks up front and give a lot of space out back for a battery etc, whilst keeping the total front to back measurement of the bike lower. A 3+” tyre is also super stable, which is a boon for people doing the above mentioned activities.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, 22 x 3" on the RadWagon 4 makes sense. Except for the whole tire/rim strip recall debacle.

The 26 x 4" on my Juiced RipCurrent S makes less sense. But the whole package works as my commuting machine.