Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
<should be in the what's right thread>
Fairly sure the X01 11 speed rear that's currently on my fat bike is now 9 years old, it spent about 8 years on my trail bike before its current home.
</should be in the what's right thread>
I have a 9 speed X01 that has I don't know how many miles on it but the jockey wheels are pretty much worn smooth. Still works just as good as new, which is to say it punts the chain between the cassette and spokes regularly.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
<should be in the what's right thread>
Fairly sure the X01 11 speed rear that's currently on my fat bike is now 9 years old, it spent about 8 years on my trail bike before its current home.
</should be in the what's right thread>
me too. but... how often do you ride your fatbike in conditions that are hard on an RD? In my case, it's not often at all.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I still have that group on my girlfiend's road bike. I've owned those parts since I was in high school.
I guess most of us here will probably have fitted a few of our old parts to the bikes of our partners and/or kids. Impressive you still hold claim to yours.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
An XD endcap does not fit the same as an XDR endcap :panic:

Bought a DT Swiss XC non-boost wheelset that came with an XDR freehub, no problem, just need a 1.85mm spacer to use an XD cassette. Which is exactly how it worked on my wifes 12x142 bike. But my bike is old 135mm QR dropouts and I've always used a 10mm through axle on it, rather than a skewer. Using the 10mm TA XD endcaps the 10T cog is too close to the dropout and the chain catches.

Had to flip the XDR freehub and XDR 142/12 endcap with another bike and use XD with XD 10mm on the XC bike to get it all to work.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
GMBN gave a GG bike a "Nice". Like WTF?! Rich P doesn't like it's headtube. Does he know there's a reason for that?

Make fun of Specialized all you want. And all Yeti's get a free hall pass. Can'O'Ale too. But you insult the local bros, now it's getting personal. :)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
GMBN bike vault is just stupid pointless filler for their show. Who even wants to see readers wives viewers bikes?
Aesthetically GG's FS frames are quite ugly. So yeah, you're right to be miffed they called it "nice"
The segment would be far more interesting if they showed a true representation of viewers bikes and were honest about what a mess some looked.

Don't take Rich's comment too personally. You've seen the boy's hair, yeah?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
GMBN gave a GG bike a "Nice". Like WTF?! Rich P doesn't like it's headtube. Does he know there's a reason for that?

Make fun of Specialized all you want. And all Yeti's get a free hall pass. Can'O'Ale too. But you insult the local bros, now it's getting personal. :)

If a GG became human

1675037474798.png

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
GMBN bike vault is just stupid pointless filler for their show. Who even wants to see readers wives viewers bikes?
Aesthetically GG's FS frames are quite ugly. So yeah, you're right to be miffed they called it "nice"
The segment would be far more interesting if they showed a true representation of viewers bikes and were honest about what a mess some looked.

Don't take Rich's comment too personally. You've seen the boy's hair, yeah?
Yeah I've seen one episode and that section and their choices makes as much sense as PB bike of the year awards.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Damn! So close!

Well if someone really wanted to leave with a complete bike, adding some pedals to this would break the glass ceiling. Fortunately, we have taxes to push this barrier, and in Quebec it's 15% so 23000$ all in (without pedals).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ya, that ain't too purdy, and I ride a Knolly. :rofl:
It is all subjective, and they are still much better looking than the swoopy tube bullshit from how many years ago. I think my Ibis is ugly, but every time I see one of those I throw up in my mouth a little.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It is all subjective, and they are still much better looking than the swoopy tube bullshit from how many years ago. I think my Ibis is ugly, but every time I see one of those I throw up in my mouth a little.
Nope, your not wrong, melted looking bikes were just not right.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
i periodically check in on specialized pricing for a giggle. still waiting for them to push through the $20k (CAD) glass ceiling - $19,999.00:

Still probably is only gonna be worth about $6k in three years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
BUT YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE EVERY TWO YEARS BECAUSE THEY CHANGED THE HTA 1°!
I wonder how long it'll be before the first battery fiasco, similar to what Apple went through with their phones.

Oh hey look a recommended new firmware update and coincidentally it also reduces the capacity and capability of the product. New bike or parts time!

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
yeah, the vintage market is going off. not even stuff as old as above; monster t's going for over $1k. nostalgic old fucks with disposable income (yes, that is we, pretty much), they just ruin everything. still, not as bad as some collectable toy segments; i used to have dreams of owning an older 911. man, that ship has sailed.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
yeah, the vintage market is going off. not even stuff as old as above; monster t's going for over $1k. nostalgic old fucks with disposable income (yes, that is we, pretty much), they just ruin everything. still, not as bad as some collectable toy segments; i used to have dreams of owning an older 911. man, that ship has sailed.
I got in in time with the vintage bikes. :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I got in in time with the vintage bikes. :D
..and I got screwed.
I have a 3 pretty high end 26" that were kept for the kids who expressed interest to ride.
Covid comes, and one kid goes on two rides. :disgust:
Now, no interest at all. :mad:
Should have just sold them when they were worth something, but no I gotta hold out false hope... :doh:

Anybody want a Rocky Slayer or a couple Knolly's? :rofl:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
..and I got screwed.
I have a 3 pretty high end 26" that were kept for the kids who expressed interest to ride.
Covid comes, and one kid goes on two rides. :disgust:
Now, no interest at all. :mad:
Should have just sold them when they were worth something, but no I gotta hold out false hope... :doh:

Anybody want a Rocky Slayer or a couple Knolly's? :rofl:
I also kept old bikes for my son:
- A 1991 Specialized Sirrus beater frankenbike my parents bought me when I was in high school.
- A sweet 19lbs 2013 Intense Podium XLT BMX Race bike
- A 2013 Pivot Mach5.7c fully decked-out with dual PUSHed Factory Fox suspension, DT240 hubs and full-XX1 group.

He says the Spesh Sirrus frankenbike is the coolest bike ever and want to ride it every day; he enjoys riding the BMX on the pumptrack from times to times; and he never really wants to go mountain biking. Uninterested kids are what's wrong in the Industry... :( ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's primarily the super monsters going for well over a grand. likely because only a few hundred of them were ever made.

edit: i've seen super monsters fetch $2k and up

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I’m holding onto a Marzocchi D-Street(24” specific fork w grind guards and 14mm through axle for pegs) as a nest egg to buy some luckylottery tickets that might help me pay off my college loans before i’m 55!