Quantcast

@#@ this is your GMT @#@

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
good lord people ... UP AND AT 'EM !

I got nothing'. Warm day, likely ride once the sun gets low and it's cooler.
Have a good one, you special snowflakes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Went and saw the Decemberists last night. Great show if you like pretentious hipster music. Looks like I will be house sitting for a friend next week. Has the fringe benefit of 20+ miles of private singletrack.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And on a less serious note, can someone explain the benefit of owning a house? I've been debating constantly lately whether to save for a year or to just go rent an apartment. I'm single a dude, no pets and a few bikes; so really the only benefit of a house would be a garage. And in my price range, I'll be lucky to get a single car garage. I hate making decisions.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Felt like a hot day already on the slow pedal into work. Thankfully, I planned ahead and have riding shorts and a jersey in addition to my white-collar-monkey work outfit.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
And on a less serious note, can someone explain the benefit of owning a house? I've been debating constantly lately whether to save for a year or to just go rent an apartment. I'm single a dude, no pets and a few bikes; so really the only benefit of a house would be a garage. And in my price range, I'll be lucky to get a single car garage. I hate making decisions.
You can rent houses, too…

Until you know you're going to be in an area for at least 10 years I'd suggest not buying. Sure, you lose out on appreciation, but you also pass up depreciation/bubble popping, replacing roof/AC/water heater/furnace/other expensive bits, and when shit breaks it's Not Your Problem(tm).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Until you know you're going to be in an area for at least 10 years I'd suggest not buying. Sure, you lose out on appreciation, but you also pass up depreciation/bubble popping, replacing roof/AC/water heater/furnace/other expensive bits, and when shit breaks it's Not Your Problem(tm).
Thanks. Those are some big points in my debate. Maintaining a house is huge and I'm already strapped for time (doing things that I actually want to do).

My friends all argue against renting, but then again they are all married, own houses and are trying to have kids now. Crazies....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks. Those are some big points in my debate. Maintaining a house is huge and I'm already strapped for time (doing things that I actually want to do).

My friends all argue against renting, but then again they are all married, own houses and are trying to have kids now. Crazies....
Can you rent a bong shed?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There are no compelling benefits to owning a house if you don't have a family. Unless you're gonna stick yourself somewhere, as Toshi suggests, for at least 10 years. Then *maybe* for the appreciation. But houses are a goddam pain-in-the-ass to own. And they are expensive.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

85 today? Holy shit. OUTSIDE ALL THE THINGS!!

:stupid:

In your situation there is no way I'd buy a house. Rent as cheap as you're willing and save your cash. There may come a day when it makes more sense (married, kids, committed to your employer or job) but as a single guy? Fuck no. A house and a mortgage can become quite an anchor, you want to be as certain as you can possibly be that you're going to be staying put for quite some time before you take that leap.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are no compelling benefits to owning a house if you don't have a family. Unless you're gonna stick yourself somewhere, as Toshi suggests, for at least 10 years. Then *maybe* for the appreciation. But houses are a goddam pain-in-the-ass to own. And they are expensive.
My mortgage payments are about half of what rent for a decent place would be. I don't think anyone should every purchase a home as an investment, but my place has really worked out for me in a financial sense.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Investment is maybe a stretch if you live in the place too but you should put on an investment angle when you look at your options. NYC is has been kind to us but I have also know the city for a long time and got advice from people who has know it even longer. I have also taken several risks along the way.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Investment is maybe a stretch if you live in the place too but you should put on an investment angle when you look at your options. NYC is has been kind to us but I have also know the city for a long time and got advice from people who has know it even longer. I have also taken several risks along the way.
The problem with a home as an investment is that prices are determined by uncontrollable variables. With a normal investment you can sell before you lose your ass, not so easy when it is your home so you just have to ride it out.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
*sigh*

The dog isn't eating. I got him to eat a little bit last night by mixing in some fancy raw stuff from the local snobby "pet care" store, but he didn't finish it. He doesn't eat, I can't get him to take his medication, so now he's starting to limp again, and the tumor on his shoulder is getting pretty big. The only thing that kind of gives me pause is he still gets super excited if you haul out the leash. The old man sure loves his walks. My wife thinks he's uncomfortable too, though I can't say I'm sure about that. Going to go for a ride to clear my head and think on it, but I'm afraid it's time, and I just need to not be a bitch about it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
*sigh*

The dog isn't eating. I got him to eat a little bit last night by mixing in some fancy raw stuff from the local snobby "pet care" store, but he didn't finish it. He doesn't eat, I can't get him to take his medication, so now he's starting to limp again, and the tumor on his shoulder is getting pretty big. The only thing that kind of gives me pause is he still gets super excited if you haul out the leash. The old man sure loves his walks. My wife thinks he's uncomfortable too, though I can't say I'm sure about that. Going to go for a ride to clear my head and think on it, but I'm afraid it's time, and I just need to not be a bitch about it.
Buy him a steak.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
My mortgage payments are about half of what rent for a decent place would be. I don't think anyone should every purchase a home as an investment, but my place has really worked out for me in a financial sense.
Yup - and it can. I'd not recommend anyone BANK on it, though...

As with anything - it really depends on a billion factors if purchasing a house makes sense.

But the general rule - if you don't want/need a "home"... rent.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
The problem with a home as an investment is that prices are determined by uncontrollable variables. With a normal investment you can sell before you lose your ass, not so easy when it is your home so you just have to ride it out.
And as has been illustrated by members of this forum - you can get jimmydeaned in the real estate market...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And overall a piss poor "investment" other than a place to live rent free in 10-30 years.

<edit> I say rent and build a bong shed in the backyard.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Re: owning a house, here is a list of things the wife wants to get done ASAFP:

• New siding for the house and garage (w/gutter replacement) - top priority - one quote in, waiting on another
  • Fix garage shingles (there's molding)
  • Remodel main bathroom
  • Redo finished basement floor (tear up old carpet, put down fake hardwood...500 sq feet)
  • Repair center a/c (this is ongoing...new coil en route)

I think that's everything. We haven't put a lot of money back into the house in the 11 years we've been there. Fortunately with all of this stuff, she's decided not to be a do-it-yourselfer.

Hey, I had to pay $30,000 for two houses (one of which is now defunct) and thirty acres, which has somehow grown to 75...

Spent untold hours today pressure washing stairs down to camp and deck in front. Miserable weather is about to break. Going to Middlebury College old fart retired slave event this evening. Starting to assemble gear for NEMBAfest. What day is today?

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Homeownership is both awesome and not, as has been said a few times. We spend too much time out in the woods to get things done, so ours is basically a sh!thole (at least to us). We are currently remodeling the master bath... and have been sharing the other full bath with our 8 year old for over a month already. I already knew I didn't want to do DIY remodeling, but I married into the house... whaddya gonna do? We're trying to get it nice enough to sell and want to find a small house with land next... that aligns with our ideals a heckuva lot more. If I were in your position I would rent while I still could, unless you find something small enough to maintain with room enough for your bikesssss.

Good morning!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
for contrast, I once lived in a riverfront condo in downtown Chicago where deeded parking spaces were selling for $50k each.
I used to get pissed about the cost of living here because is has gone up quite a bit in the last 20, but then I talk to friends in the bay area and I feel much better about myself. While they might make 20% more than I do, they pay on average 150% more in living expenses. Hell, my sisters apartment in Queens was purchased for $750k, so about $1000/sqft My house is about $100/sqft. :rofl:

<edit> Like skibunny, our next place will likely be smaller with property rather than oversized on a tiny subdivision lot like we have now. I want a shop and it would be nice to have room for a few trails, or at the very least, a pump track.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Re: owning a house, here is a list of things the wife wants to get done ASAFP:

• New siding for the house and garage (w/gutter replacement) - top priority - one quote in, waiting on another
  • Fix garage shingles (there's molding)
  • Remodel main bathroom
  • Redo finished basement floor (tear up old carpet, put down fake hardwood...500 sq feet)
  • Repair center a/c (this is ongoing...new coil en route)

I think that's everything. We haven't put a lot of money back into the house in the 11 years we've been there. Fortunately with all of this stuff, she's decided not to be a do-it-yourselfer.

No work on the bong shed?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
That's the kicker with medicine: I wouldn't make any more than I do here if I lived in SF yet the housing price would be that much more. Doctors make more in the boonies and comparatively less in the cities, unlike every other field and opposite to cost of living patterns.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's the kicker with medicine: I wouldn't make any more than I do here if I lived in SF yet the housing price would be that much more. Doctors make more in the boonies and comparatively less in the cities, unlike every other field and opposite to cost of living patterns.
Salaries for highly skilled workers in large cities are often much lower than smaller towns. If there is not a large local workforce to select from you have to attract them in with salary. I make a lot more money here than I could have in Seattle, the cost of living difference is huge.