Quantcast

@#@ this is your GMT @#@

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's the kicker with medicine: I wouldn't make any more than I do here if I lived in SF yet the housing price would be that much more. Doctors make more in the boonies and comparatively less in the cities, unlike every other field and opposite to cost of living patterns.
And not all do make more, my previous company paid engineers that worked out of the SF office more, but few companies that have tried to hire me in San Jose are only offering me 10-20% more than I make in Portland and the market here is as hot or hotter there.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Salaries for highly skilled workers in large cities are often much lower than smaller towns. If there is not a large local workforce to select from you have to attract them in with salary. I make a lot more money here than I could have in Seattle, the cost of living difference is huge.
Where did you move to again? My job would pay an s-ton more in the city with a company I'm looking at, but I live in the burbs, and want to move further out. Decisions, decisions!

I'd realllly like to build an earth home and live off the land. Let's make THAT happen!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Where did you move to again? My job would pay an s-ton more in the city with a company I'm looking at, but I live in the burbs, and want to move further out. Decisions, decisions!

I'd realllly like to build an earth home and live off the land. Let's make THAT happen!
Charlottesville VA.

I tried to live off the land but gravity doesn't let it happen for long.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I just called CenturyLink ostensibly to cancel service as my $30/month for 40 Mbps (not really, but that's what's advertised) promotion is a month away from expiration. As it was, I would have been paying $60something for that service come July 1.

After an unsurprising half hour wait I was connected. My goal was to continue the promotional rate for another year, but the guy did it one better, and for the next 12 months I'll be getting the same service, fwiw, for $23/month instead. Winning.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I pay $87/month for internet only. Our internet was out last night... they should totally take the $2.90 off my next bill ;-P

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I just called CenturyLink ostensibly to cancel service as my $30/month for 40 Mbps (not really, but that's what's advertised) promotion is a month away from expiration. As it was, I would have been paying $60something for that service come July 1.

After an unsurprising half hour wait I was connected. My goal was to continue the promotional rate for another year, but the guy did it one better, and for the next 12 months I'll be getting the same service, fwiw, for $23/month instead. Winning.
Still with Centurylink? Maybe "Winning" is not quite the right term. :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Heh, I figured you two would chime in. Their speeds are disappointing (perhaps 15 Mbps, not 40 as advertised) but the price is right. When I build my mongo 4k system in the future I'll have to pony up for some quality 100 Mbps+ (Gigabit?!) but for now, good enough service is good enough.

Plus, this way I don't have to buy a cable modem immediately. I chalk it up as a win in my book.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Heh, I figured you two would chime in. Their speeds are disappointing (perhaps 15 Mbps, not 40 as advertised) but the price is right. When I build my mongo 4k system in the future I'll have to pony up for some quality 100 Mbps+ (Gigabit?!) but for now, good enough service is good enough.

Plus, this way I don't have to buy a cable modem immediately. I chalk it up as a win in my book.
Well... as long as you don't have any trouble, we'll call it a win. Just to humor you. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate Comcast but am a customer. Was considering a switch to CenturyLink who i used back in the day. Tree in my yard fell on Centurylinks lines. Attempting to deal with those motherfuckers pissed me off so much I prayed for the apocalypse. It doesn't take much for me to want an apocalypse but to pray? That there be something.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When I canceled with century link, it took damn near an hour, lots of yelling, and much creative swearing to get those assholes to close my account. Jesus. Makes my blood pressure rise even now.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I hate Comcast but am a customer. Was considering a switch to CenturyLink who i used back in the day. Tree in my yard fell on Centurylinks lines. Attempting to deal with those motherfuckers pissed me off so much I prayed for the apocalypse. It doesn't take much for me to want an apocalypse but to pray? That there be something.
This is similar to my experience with CL. Something happened... whatever it was... but they were monumentally incompetent in even addressing the problem. I couldn't kick them to the curb fast enough. I even went as far as to cut the phone lines that ran through my garden. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I've only had to call CenturyLink thrice: once to order the product, once to set up a service visit after a bought-used DSL modem I acquired didn't work (the dude replaced it with a new, identical-but-working one from his truck for free), and today to threaten to cancel service/blackmail them.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
In other news, I think I killed a prairie dog by accident today. Little dudes have all manner of holes along the dirt path I commute on (Sand Creek Greenway) and perhaps due to the heat today they were running all around at breakneck speed. Said breakneck speed took one under the front wheel of my 29er as I cruised along at perhaps 15 mph.

A big bump was felt, and when I looked back there was a prairie dog on its back, apparently convulsing.

(I also clipped the rear of a Ford Escape while threading through horrid traffic on Peoria St before joining the greenway, but I feel much less guilty about that incident.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In other news, I think I killed a prairie dog by accident today. Little dudes have all manner of holes along the dirt path I commute on (Sand Creek Greenway) and perhaps due to the heat today they were running all around at breakneck speed. Said breakneck speed took one under the front wheel of my 29er as I cruised along at perhaps 15 mph.

A big bump was felt, and when I looked back there was a prairie dog on its back, apparently convulsing.

(I also clipped the rear of a Ford Escape while threading through horrid traffic on Peoria St before joining the greenway, but I feel much less guilty about that incident.)
And you just kept riding along? Should have gone back and put the fucker out of his misery, or given him a full set of films to see what was broken.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
He's probably harboring rabies-SARS-bola. I'll run him over again to finish the job if I see him tomorrow morning.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i saw one dragging itself across an exit ramp off of 470....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
And on a less serious note, can someone explain the benefit of owning a house? I've been debating constantly lately whether to save for a year or to just go rent an apartment. I'm single a dude, no pets and a few bikes; so really the only benefit of a house would be a garage. And in my price range, I'll be lucky to get a single car garage. I hate making decisions.
My Cousin just bought a house in Milton 230K. 1400sg/ft with 1 car heated Garage, a solarium, and a separate green house. 1/2 acre lot that backs up to the Kelso Conservation Area. I will be taking my bike to Toronto more often. She has a 3 hour commute to TO though....