Quantcast

This just in: Pinkbike doesn't understand road cycling

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So much of this post makes me want to throw up in my mouth. The tryhard-iness of trying desperately to turn a road or gravel bike into a drop bar mountain bike....even goes so far as to run a power meter and complain about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As a mountain biker, my advice to make road biking more for: drink a few espressos and smoke some hash. Also avoid roads with traffic.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'd ride road bikes on roads if there were no such things as automobiles.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Yes. Definitely made my year of messengering in Tokyo doable. Although there the exhaust muck and various road shrapnel that came off my legs in the shower was eye opening to what I was inhaling. There is a reason the Japanese use a diluted iodine as a gargle.. gotta kill that shiz.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

As a mountain biker, my advice to make road biking more for: drink a few espressos and smoke some hash. Also avoid roads with traffic.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes. Definitely made my year of messengering in Tokyo doable. Although there the exhaust muck and various road shrapnel that came off my legs in the shower was eye opening to what I was inhaling. There is a reason the Japanese use a diluted iodine as a gargle.. gotta kill that shiz.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
man I bet you have some wild stories

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Fo sure, one of my coworkers commented that I am the NPC that keeps getting reused.

The remark was brought on when I jumped from stories of training with the JMSDF Special Boarding Unit at Blackwater in NC and Ice farming in Nikko Japan... Nerdy with a penchant for esoteric jobs.

Someday there will be a monkey gathering I can make it to, isnt there a WC here (US) next year?

man I bet you have some wild stories

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had some amazing empty country roads to ride right out the front door in Virginia, that was nice.

Know what is worse than sharing the road with cars? A bunch of other bikers. There is a substantial network of bike paths around there full of complete fucking morons on bikes, not to mention joggers and dog walkers with zero sense of rules or etiquette.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I rode from Oregon to Los Angeles down hwy 1 on Tri Bikes in the mid 90s. We rode between 100 and 138 miles per day. It took us 8 days. Aptos (just south of Santa Cruz) to San Simeon through Big Sur on a Wednesday was the longest, hardest and yet the most fun at 138 miles. We did the hotel thing. had a UPS box with fresh gear at each hotel and a return mailer to send our grubbies back home. Total kick in the ass. Had a Lady friend pick us up in LA and drive us back to Santa Cruz