Quantcast

This just looks fast!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I saw this on the Dropmachine site from the BTAC show - and damned this bike looks hot.

If I could afford a DH bike (I can't) I think this is what I would get.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It looks pretty interesting. However, I would be a bit worried about the rear triangle, it looks like that might be its weakest link...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
different strokes for different folks I guess!

slow wasn't the first thing that came to mind when i saw this! especially w/ the beefy tread & 24" rear.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
blt2ride said:
It looks pretty interesting. However, I would be a bit worried about the rear triangle, it looks like that might be its weakest link...
It is steal it would "look" a bit weaker...

i really like that bike...

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
take a look at the "Funky" way the brake hoses are "Routed", the rear brake have features a looptheloop and the front brake have this spiral looking shape...

yeah the bike is super dupper Hot

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
MMcG said:
I saw this on the Dropmachine site from the BTAC show - and damned this bike looks hot.

If I could afford a DH bike (I can't) I think this is what I would get.

Mark,

Don't you have any pull anymore?

Looks good. Are they going to be doing a 2-Step-ish frame as well?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Colin said:
Mark,

Don't you have any pull anymore?

Looks good. Are they going to be doing a 2-Step-ish frame as well?
Nope don't really have pull and even if I did - I still couldn't afford one. :(

I think they plan on doing a 6.7" frame of some sorts. Not sure if it will be 2Stepish or not. I'm anxious to see what it will be though.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Jimmy_Pop said:
are those Brembo brakes?

nice bike BTW
the front Rotor looks like a Floating Hope for a second but is diferent (look at the angle forward shape of the aluminum carrior).

also look at the motorcycle style hose attachment to the master cilynder ussing "real" banjo bolts, much better sistem if you ask me.

looks like the future of brakes is have one more very serius competitor

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cool. Hopefully it'll have less of the 'issues' that people had with BB7s...I still love the basic idea and suspension/drivetrain design.

Is it going to cost on-par with a BB7? They were a well-priced frame as I recall.

MD

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
blt2ride said:
It might "look" wimpy but that does't mean it is. Using steel for a swingarm is actually a very good idea. No derailleur hanger to break off, easy to repair, etc...

I personally like the predecessor better, this model didn't fix my biggest gripe with the old design. (135X10mm rear end, and the poor tire clearance as a result because of the unusual chainguide positioning. Also, not sure if any other bb7 owners felt flexiness in the swingarm, maybe a bolt-on hub would help?)

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Hooray for freetranslation.com!

Here his description:

«This a BB7 simplified, improved and low-fat. The party linkage/poulie sprocketless/axe so more better is done than on the BB7, i.e. a flat one of every side (and no 2 screwed ones on together) and the pulley on the same bolt than the axis, without counting the fact that this is a lot more smooth on a pulley d' ABS/high plastic density for the chain.

The one that is with Lessard does about 10LBS with a shock Fox DHX for 9" of travel, very impressive for a bike with a swingarm in cromo and an in front of in aluminum well 'beefé'. The headtube seems all also PHAT as the last ones 'Moose Proof', what's more gussets trains 2STEP. The top tube is not anymore a big alu beam, but rather an alu tube, with the beautiful bend to rejoin the BB.» - Charles S.

On this, I wish good luck and long life to Cycles Appalache!

One can see it with Lessard Bicycles to Holy foy.

It will be equally to the BTAC show in some weeks.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
looks really nice. could be good for smaller riders too? certainly is a cool looking machine.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The company name is alright...just the frame's name: 'Réal' isn't fear inspiring...but they wanted to represent so that's cool.

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
it looks lighter than a bb7
but i personally don't like it at all
i liked the bb7
it looks a bit lika a
wannabe-selfconstructed-i am a superbrainengineer-downhillbike
with everything built in it what worthy in maths and physics books

btw: the front rotor diameter looks like it is a bit too small for the caliper?!?!

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
one of the main problems with the old bb7 was that the steelplates on the rear triangel actually stretched. Not always due to the weight of the rider, since (among others) Jack on the UK Balfa team had this problem with his BB7. And he's not among the biggest guys on the race curcuit...

Looks awesome though...but what about those welds just infront of the bb?
Seems like a weakspot...or?

89yota

Chimp
Oct 10, 2003
blt2ride said:
Trust me, it's a hell of a lot tougher than Aluminum. I had a BB7 a while ago and it felt more solid than any other bike I've owned. The steel tubing is smaller than aluminum tubing because it doesn't have to be so damn big, because steel is a lot stronger than aluminum, and doesn't crack or shatter like aluminum. If the rear end gets messed up, just bend it back. This guy can make a mean frame, but they're a tad expensive. Then again, you do get what you pay for "exquisite speed metal" I believe was the Balfa slogan. This certainly lives up to that motto. Can't wait till they have a shorter travel version out, I'd buy one sight unseen. They're just that good

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Unless cash is the cause,why get less travell,just get a heavier spring,the things as light as most 6"ers anyway,and they pedal quite well.I love it and after owning a few BB7s I know it would ride excellent.Couldn't wait for them to get to OZ so I got the closest thing a Brooklyn RL which I've always wanted to try. If I was loaded I'd have a lightweight race Appalche parked next to my RL which I'd beef up with more hucker kit. The crom rear also gives better tyre clearance if you can get a guide set up out of the way.
Awsome bike I love it and rate it highly based on BB7 experience,my BB7s were stiff in the arse with a bolt up Hadley,but I'm light.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
that guys that re-made this frame post on here, keep this up, they responded before.