Quantcast

This looks kinda fun

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Well I don't really drive anymore during the week except to get groceries and run errands -home improvement stuff etc. I'm interested in it to take care of that stuff. My goal is to cut out car driving as completely as I can.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I see those all the time up here.
I can see them being handy but I wouldn't want them on my everyday city bike. You can't get up a curb and they would corner like poo. What's the point of city riding if you can't hop curbs and rail concrete corners?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
BAH said:
Well I don't really drive anymore during the week except to get groceries and run errands -home improvement stuff etc. I'm interested in it to take care of that stuff. My goal is to cut out car driving as completely as I can.
I haven't driven to the Grocery store in months, I just throw stuff in the messenger bag, sure I make 5+ trips a week and the forces me to ride, but it's less than 8 miles and it's good excercise, a rack would help if you don't have as much time on your hands as I do.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
maxyedor said:
I haven't driven to the Grocery store in months, I just throw stuff in the messenger bag, sure I make 5+ trips a week and the forces me to ride, but it's less than 8 miles and it's good excercise, a rack would help if you don't have as much time on your hands as I do.
Yeah...Me and the GF ride to the store about 10 blocks away with my Chrome Kremlin. Fits a ton of crap. My car had been dead for a few weeks (battery) up until Thursday and we'd gotten along just fine with bikes, and the occasional bus/train when weather was bad. It's nice. I like it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
blue said:
Yeah...Me and the GF ride to the store about 10 blocks away with my Chrome Kremlin. Fits a ton of crap. My car had been dead for a few weeks (battery) up until Thursday and we'd gotten along just fine with bikes, and the occasional bus/train when weather was bad. It's nice. I like it.
Exactly, I love running earands on my bike, I have a great car, but the bike is just more fun for short stints to go buy beer and such.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
maxyedor said:
Exactly, I love running earands on my bike, I have a great car, but the bike is just more fun for short stints to go buy beer and such.
Nothing like hauling home three sixers of Cutthroat and a twelve pack of PBR on your back. Uphill. :dead:

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I'll try and touch on all the points..

BOB- no thanks. I like the idea of something being a part of the bike rather than bouncing along behind me. Plus it costs more and you can do less with it. The xtracycle you can put kids, humans, haul all different dimensions of stuff and even hook up a human powered blender if you wanna get real crazy.

Maxeydor- If you want to spend lots of time at the grocery store, thats your pleasure, but the less time I can spend in one the better :) I have all kinds of free time as well - I only work a few days a month, but do I want to spend any of it in line at the grocery store? Not really :)

Rack and panniers would be the next choice, but they are so limited compared to what it looks like this thing can accomplish. Plus I think it has a "cool and fun" factor that rack and panniers don't. I like what these guys are trying to push and don't mind supporting that. I'm going to go take a test ride though before I plunk down dough for it.

If it works as well as it says, I'm getting rid of cars..

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
A buddy of mine has one of those on one of those cheapo Nashbar steel frames. I wouldn't ride one, but it is kinda cool.