Quantcast

This might not work well but we'll give it a go

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
So I loaned one of my bikes to a mate whilst I was OS and just got it back today. Whilst I was resingulating it I noticed that the derailleur hanger was bent.

Whilst gently unbending it with this

This happened

Who'd a thunk it hey?

So until I can walk into a bike shop and ask for a derailleur hanger for my singlespeed (quite funny when you think about it) I'm gonna try this

I'm pretty close to the magic gear luckily so if it gives me too many headaches I'll just cut it off but otherwise I'm interested to see how it goes.

Doesn't line up very well so I'm worried about it making my chain skip off but like I said I'll ditch it if there are too many problems.

Will let you know how I go after tomorrows commute.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
So quite to my surprise, it knocked over a solid 40km commute today and I didn't die. Happy with that but I'll still be replacing it with something propper asap.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
bottom bracket mounted lower roller will suck up that slack nicely and looks pretty clean!
seems like you could just mount the YESS back on the dropout and then use a ziptie to keep it up?

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Why not just go with a phantom chainring setup?
Good idea, I've always wanted to try that. Will have a bit of a fiddle at some point.

Get thee to a bike shop for a hanger or just order one online. That looks a bit scarey.
Yeah, I've ordered a couple. If phantom chainring doesn't work they will go on and I'll remount the tensioner as the maker intended.

That's what horizontal dropouts are for!
If I had the cash I'd post it to a bloke in melbourne who'd cut the current ones off and weld on some horizontal dropouts for me. He did it for a mate and it worked really well but this is just a bitsa commuter and I don't want to spend too much on it. My other singlespeed has horizontal dropouts and it makes things so much easier.