Quantcast

This must be the most ornately decorated road frame ever.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
thats hot. now i cant wait to get my merlin. they are such beautiful frames. the welds are so clean.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Melin still gives it a lifetime warrenty so strength isn't much of an issue. The Socl Litespeed/Merlin rep told me they could make stuff about half the weight they currently do, but then a frame would only last about 5 years, so they go for the lifetime thing instead.
I may have a close second place

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've seen them upclose and personal... awesome bikes.

Can't imagine for a moment the engraving having a negative affect on the structure.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
LordOpie said:
I've seen them upclose and personal... awesome bikes.

Can't imagine for a moment the engraving having a negative affect on the structure.
Technically that engraving is introducing a massive number of stress-raisers. (Points where stress will focus when a load is applied) Hopefully though the tubing is thick enough to deal with that, and looking at it it seems fine. The engraving is very shallow.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Now, that Rivendell frame is one I can get on board with. The Merlin is impressive, for sure, but it's waaay too over-the-top for me. I like clean, simple lines, and I've always loved the lugged, steel frames.

Seems silly to need thicker tubing just so that you can do a bunch of engraving on that Merlin, though. Nice ornament, but if I'm spending that much on a high end, Ti road frame, I'm countin' those grams...