Quantcast

This seems slightly excessive for ads...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I did now. I didn't mind before, but the ad taking up literally 50% of the screen for me is over the line...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
now if it only worked for the fvcking bike mag links on the right side. i'm at work. i can't have a marzocci girl showing up on every page.

:stosh:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Haha yea, noticed that too. Kind of in bad taste since we would need a NSFW tag to post that pic...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Totally agree stuff like that just turns you off the brand. If at least they were targeted towards me instead of some generic fitness pictures. Not sure the messaging in the ad resonates with the RM crowd either. We now have to style match our fitness gear.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
There's a pop up ad with no way to close it taking up the top-right 25% of the screen for me. Can't get to my user CP and see all my beautiful rep comments, which I like to read at least 3x a day.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I noticed this too. Though, there was a bike in the ad on my screen.

Not sure what's more annoying, that big ass thing or when the entire background of the page is a clickable advertisement. Balls.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
now if it only worked for the fvcking bike mag links on the right side. i'm at work. i can't have a marzocci girl showing up on every page.

Addblock Plus > Right-Click menu "Open Blockable items" > Double click on anything in the address area starting with "http://stwww.bikemag.com/" > Select "Custom" and add "http://stwww.bikemag.com/" > make sure "Blocking Filter" is selected > Add filter.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Addblock Plus > Right-Click menu "Open Blockable items" > Double click on anything in the address area starting with "http://stwww.bikemag.com/" > Select "Custom" and add "http://stwww.bikemag.com/" > make sure "Blocking Filter" is selected > Add filter.
i figured it out for that single ad, glad to know i can blanket them out into the abyss

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I have no idea where that bizarre ad campaign came from but I was traveling and couldn't reach out to find out what the deal was.

I'm inquiring now - these are definitely weird and excessive.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Welp. I got my answer. Nothing that can be done - it's a campaign. Not permanent, though.

Ad block if ye must, but sometimes there are necessary evils to keep the lights on. Sorry guys.

The only plus side is we're putting a bunch of time and effort into new forum software which, in my opinion, completely trounces vBulletin in every way and should be a better platform for conversations. So we're at least spending the ad money in a (hopefully) positive and useful way.

:monkey: :rant:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I am more offended by how bad that ad is missing its target audience.
It is trying to sell workout gear to women, and Ridemonkey has a dong to box ratio of 1 billion to 1.
Hahahaha, reminds me of the time at a Snowshoe race when a bunch of us were standing around in the village after dinner and you walked up and said, "I see a bunch of tools but no box". good times :rofl:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV - thanks for the update. Do you have a timeline for the rollout of the new software?
Optimistically 6-8 weeks. Ideally sooner but you know how these things go.

Pessimistically, I get run over by a bus next week, Ridemonkey becomes a desolate wasteland due to the desertion of my sparkling personality, and society at large collapses into fragmented survivalist communities that war with each other over spam. Then I'd say we're looking at more like 6 months.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Optimistically 6-8 weeks. Ideally sooner but you know how these things go.

Pessimistically, I get run over by a bus next week, Ridemonkey becomes a desolate wasteland due to the desertion of my sparkling personality, and society at large collapses into fragmented survivalist communities that war with each other over spam. Then I'd say we're looking at more like 6 months.
The later sounds funner, just sayin.

<edit> But don't go and get hit by a bus.

Last edited: