Quantcast

This sucks...(the layoff thread)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So our big project just got cut at work...two fridays ago. Now we all sit here, waiting to be laid off, but they won't do it, and they won't tell us what's going on. I'd love to stay home sick, since I'm sick, but I feel like I should be here if this is going on. So many rumors, so little information...anybody else been here?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Not me, but coworkers in other departments. The housing market is causing lots of problems with the City and the building/planning/engineering departments are at risk for layoffs. Some of those people sit around all day with their feet up!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I am sitting in a middle managment position in a building supply manufacturing facility. So ya, I'm pretty much waiting for the ax to drop.
Yeppers....right there with ya. We prety much have the same type of job(I'm with a roof and floor truss manufacturer) and business is real sketchy right now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So our big project just got cut at work...two fridays ago. Now we all sit here, waiting to be laid off, but they won't do it, and they won't tell us what's going on. I'd love to stay home sick, since I'm sick, but I feel like I should be here if this is going on. So many rumors, so little information...anybody else been here?
Hey, if you need some time at home, just take it.

Your possible layoff won't be prevented because you came to work sick, and if you get laid-off, they will call you in, so why spend more time at a place when you might not be there anymore?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
RIght now we had 2 big jobs DISSOLVE into nothing and another was put onto hold.

Right now I'm doing some marketing brochures for the office. :(
I'm scrrred.....

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
We're hanging in there, 3 person architectural firm doing multi-family housing. We just need one project to hit and we'll be fine for awhile, low overhead helps.

What sucks is having a spouse that is also in construction, he's a sitework project manager.

We're crossing our fingers!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That sucks to hear.

I never know what's around the corner, so I take everything day by day. My company was just purchased (again) and you never know what's next.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
We're hanging in there, 3 person architectural firm doing multi-family housing. We just need one project to hit and we'll be fine for awhile, low overhead helps.

What sucks is having a spouse that is also in construction, he's a sitework project manager.

We're crossing our fingers!
I work for an Architecture firm as well. We do commercial and a little high end residential.

The commercial work is slow in this area but still continuing. We have our fingers crossed.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We just got bought out again, three name changes in five years.

With the Bear Stearns thing happening, everyone in my industry is just waiting for the fun to stop.

With gas prices on the way up, and a cut back soon coming, I worry 2008 might not be the best racing year I can muster, much less being able to still cover my bills.

But thankfully, if you listen to Bush, there is no recession.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It's an annual event at Xerox. They always make it as unpleasant and degrading as possible. Sorry to hear it dude. Hope you survive the axe.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Sorry to hear that, it must suck. But me, nope, was in the military for 24 years (decent job security) retired and took the easy way out and became a government contractor. As long as there's a defense budget, I've got a job, I guess.

In R464's case..as long as there's a pole and a skunk in heat, he's got a job...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Fiance' got laid off in January. Her whole company fought to keep her boss there, but wouldn't stand up for my fiance'. That ticked me off.

On the bright side, she got laid off exactly 5 months before we're getting married, and she still hasn't found a job yet! :happydance:

:disgust:

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
After 13 years working engineering for semiconductor capital equipment, layoffs is just part of the scenery. I think I've survived around 75 RIFs so far, but it feels like my luck may run out soon too...:nopity:

Screw it, severance will make for a nice little vacation. Ain't no use getting all worked up about things I can't change.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I always hope that if I get laid off, it's at the beginning of summer. The severance package would get me through about September :brows:

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I have been laid off once. Came out of the blue. Went in for my yearly review and it went kind of like this : "This has nothing to do with you or the fact that you are due a raise. We have to let you go." I said "Guess that's how business works, How do I get unemployment?."
It was humerous cause the only reason I had an idea that it was coming was that I checked my bank account that morning and all my vacation time money was there **RED FLAG**
Within 6 months that company was sold.

Now I am in your situation. I work in the lighting industry for Quoizel as a Graphic Designer. There are two of us and I have only been here for 3 years not including temp time. The company keeps saying things like "We are doing really well and the bank is very satisfied with our standings. We actually have an all time low for company dept."
All I am hearing is. . . We almost have no debt, so it's time to sell this puppy.
Way to many shifts in management and such. The owner is retired pretty much, his son doesn't want anything to do with the company other than use it to travel the globe. Selling is what I would do.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I always hope that if I get laid off, it's at the beginning of summer. The severance package would get me through about September :brows:

:cool: Yup. I got a 16 week package after a merger some years back the beginning of July. I was psyched for the whole summer off, but then they realized they over-'synergized' and called me back after a few weeks. Bummer to miss the vacation, but felt good to hit them up for a 50% pay increase. Bastards. :disgust:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
These days it seems everywhere I look friends are getting laid off, losing homes, really in over their heads. Makes me wish I would have finished law school instead of going into finance.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I work for an Architecture firm as well. We do commercial and a little high end residential.

The commercial work is slow in this area but still continuing. We have our fingers crossed.
ughhhh... my brother works for a similar type firm in tahoe, they have a strong civil engineering department so they haven't felt the effects.

I'm in between projects myself, but fortunately have really sweet custom home to build starting in may. The anxiety of getting to this dig date is killing me at this point and if it wasn’t for this house build coming up, I’d be headed to the tent city baby!
-or- to N8’s for some third world price indexing;)

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
You are not alone.
Delta Air Lines said Tuesday it will offer voluntary severance payouts to roughly 30,000 employees &#8212; more than half its work force &#8212; and cut domestic capacity by an extra 5 percent this year as part of an overhaul of its business plan to deal with soaring fuel prices.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ughhhh... my brother works for a similar type firm in tahoe, they have a strong civil engineering department so they haven't felt the effects.

I'm in between projects myself, but fortunately have really sweet custom home to build starting in may. The anxiety of getting to this dig date is killing me at this point and if it wasn’t for this house build coming up, I’d be headed to the tent city baby!
-or- to N8’s for some third world price indexing;)
Are you a contractor?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I got the axe several months ago, but caught on at another joint making better dough, but working harder and posting less here, so it works out great for everyone.

ChuMaiWang

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
Been laid off twice as I am in the IT field and my position has been outsourced. At the risk of being flamed, I actually trained myself out of a job once. I was working as at technical trainer at a site here in the states that was rumored to be closing down soon. They put me on crappy project where I was to do the rest of my time there if the rumors were true. They then pulled me aside and asked if I would go to India to help set up a new site for them. Since I was on a crappy project that I did not like, off I went. I was there for 3 months and helped setup the site. I trained their techs and then trained their trainers (my replacement). When complete, I came back to the states only to be laid off with 6 months pay. I would not have gotten that pay had I not gone to India.

The other time, I was working for a mom and pop type place and they were downsizing. I was in IT with two other people that were brothers and their dad owned the company. Guess who got laid off?

Times like that are when I thank my folks for teaching me to keep at least 6 months of mortgage and bills in a separate account that I never touch.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good Times Tuesday!

Qwest Land-Line Workers Offered Buyouts

DENVER (AP) - Up to 700 technicians and other Qwest Communications employees who work on traditional land telephone lines have been offered voluntary buyouts, the company announced Tuesday.

Qwest Communications International Inc. (Q) announced the job cuts as it sees thousands of customers abandon traditional phone lines in favor of other services, including those offered through wireless and cable companies.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i have some construction sites that could always use a good clean up boy that speaks english (kinda)...

Min wage, cash only, independent contractor status.

interested?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
i have some construction sites that could always use a good clean up boy that speaks english (kinda)...
:disgust1:

WTF, why? So they can actually reach OSHA by calling 411? And I thought you were professional.......

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:disgust1:

WTF, why? So they can actually reach OSHA by calling 411? And I thought you were professional.......

i was being inclusive silly... by removing the barrier that says, dont apply for the work just cuz english is not your mother tongue..

Lilke pinkshirtgoatse

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have, and a month later I was laid off.

Best of luck man.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I got laid off once. It came from corporate, and local management didn't know anything about it until the day it happened. I had overtime approved for the day after they laid me off.

Fortunately, 3 weeks later I was working again.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Sorry man, My grandpa got laid off a few months ago (VP for a Silicon Valley Solar Company) got another one in a month or two. Hope all goes well.

BTW does the Air Force Lay people off?