Quantcast

This weeks edition of "It's not about race".

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
apart from his assertion this jury (or any other for that matter) declared him 'innocent', he's spot on

ad-free link: http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/video-john-oliver-daily-show-rip-george-zimmerman-decision-1200563378/
dante said:
Serious question - If Trayvon had been a blue-eyed blond-haired white kid and Zimmerman had been a black guy, do you honestly think that the situation (the initial confrontation, as well as the resulting trial) would have played out *exactly* as it did?

My gut feeling is "no", but that might be why I'm upset over the verdict.
agree.

it would be vastly different from a media's point of view. also, jesse, al, obama & holder likely would keep the mouths shut & not abuse their positions

but i'll admit one thing: justice in fl is truly blind. to the point kidwoo is zipping up his pants

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
“That we can get a verdict like this, not because the system has broken down, but the system worked exactly as it was designed,” Oliver said. “How does 2013 Florida have a law that seems cut and pasted from 1881 Tombstone? Because – let’s be clear here – according to current Florida law, you can get a gun, follow an unarmed minor, call the police, have them explicitly tell you to stop following him, then choose to ignore that, keep following the minor, get into a confrontation with him and if at any point during that process you get scared, you can shoot the minor to death and the state of Florida will say, ‘Well, look, you did what you could.’”
I saw another article somewhere that basically confirmed this. The law worked as written, the problem is in how its written. Basically you're allowed to bait someone into a confrontation and can then kill them and claim self defense.

Aaron Hernandez should've played for the Dolphins.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
^^^^^Life imitates The Onion

But thanks to these dumb-as-dog-**** laws, while the defense had to introduce some evidence that George Zimmerman acted in self-defense, they didn’t actually have to completely convince us of it. All they had to do, according to the undoubtedly moronic but explicitly written Florida statutes, was create a “reasonable doubt” as to whether he acted in self-defense.

Does that make sense to me? Absolutely not. But I was put in the position to decide whether the prosecution was able to present a case that proved that George Zimmerman was not acting in self-defense when he shot and killed Trayvon Martin. And based on the guidelines, which all of us thought were pretty ludicrous and sort of made us question the entire U.S. justice system, the prosecution didn’t do it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Serious question - If Trayvon had been a blue-eyed blond-haired white kid and Zimmerman had been a black guy, do you honestly think that the situation (the initial confrontation, as well as the resulting trial) would have played out *exactly* as it did?

My gut feeling is "no", but that might be why I'm upset over the verdict.
No, because any white kid being followed by a black guy is looking to get away and NOT get into a confrontation.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Watching old white conservative men trip over themselves trying to pretend to care about young black men dying on the streets of Chicago always brings a tear to my eye.... They may not *actually* care, but the fact that they're willing to pretend like they do is probably a giant step forward for them.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Watching old white conservative men trip over themselves trying to pretend to care about young black men dying on the streets of Chicago always brings a tear to my eye.... They may not *actually* care, but the fact that they're willing to pretend like they do is probably a giant step forward for them.
true.
jesse & al know everyone would see right through them if they tried this

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

another black teen + creepy ass cracker the lamestream media won't tell you about

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I really hate that we automatically label those who oppose us...

Noel Sheppard (The "author of that piece, although he is really more of a cut and paster...) calls those who exploded against Mr Elder "liberals" but I dont think they fit any definiton of Liberal I have ever heard or used myself. The vile and abusive, moronic statements against Elders well stated and informed opinion are on a level with the Tea Party types who fear anything different then the status quo as they percieve it. So tired of sharing a world with people like this...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
so no african american would ever say that about another african american?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Didnt say anything of the sort...people like names and labels. Whether as terms of endearment or to provoke a visceral reaction, someone is always tagging a label on someone. The hippy tree hugger in me would rather that people only used endearing terms...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The hippy tree hugger in me would rather that people only used endearing terms...
i am beginning to understand your inner struggle with law enforcement....

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Former RNC chairman Michael Steele and NBC News vice president Val Nicholas on their personal experiences of racial profiling in America:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wonder how long till he's standing on TM's grave as a talking point for gun control :think:

Speaking at the White House on Friday, President Obama addressed the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial for the killing of Trayvon Martin for the first time since 2012, when he declared that if he had a son, he’d look like Martin. This time, Obama said, “Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/19/Obama-Trayvon-could-be-me