Quantcast

This weeks edition of "It's not about race".

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
It's safe, I feel, to assume that this will be an ongoing thread.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland ? A panel at the Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach exploded into controversy on Friday afternoon, after an audience member defended slavery as good for African-Americans.
The exchange occurred after an audience member from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry, asked whether Republicans could endorse races remaining separate but equal. After the presenter, K. Carl Smith of Frederick Douglass Republicans, answered by referencing a letter by Frederick Douglass forgiving his former master, the audience member said ?For what? For feeding him and housing him?? Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry?s outburst.
After the exchange, Terry muttered under his breath, ?why can?t we just have segregation?? noting the Constitution?s protections for freedom of association. Watch it:
ThinkProgress spoke with Terry, who sported a Rick Santorum sticker and attended CPAC with a friend who wore a Confederate Flag-emblazoned t-shirt, about his views after the panel. Terry maintained that white people have been ?systematically disenfranchised? by federal legislation.
When asked by ThinkProgress if he?d accept a society where African-Americans were permanently subservient to whites, he said ?I?d be fine with that.? He also claimed that African-Americans ?should be allowed to vote in Africa,? and that ?all the Tea Parties? were concerned with the same racial problems that he was.
At one point, a woman challenged him on the Republican Party?s roots, to which Terry responded, ?I didn?t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.?
He claimed to be a direct descendent of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.
The panel continued to be racked in controversy, as an African-American audience member repeatedly challenged the racism on display at this event. CPAC is the marquee conservative conference of the year, with speakers ranging from former Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney to Senator Marco Rubio.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/15/1729331/cpac-slavery-minority-outreach/?mobile=nc
Also:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252705&p=3882566&viewfull=1#post3882566

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Like I've said before about the south: glass filled crater, 1000 miles wide.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
What, I thought it was common knowledge that Jesus was the whitest white guy who ever lived, and that Satan looks like some creepy black guy who's currently living in a house named for his diametrically-opposed skin color?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
What, exactly, am I missing then?
the fullness of all that humanity has to offer, obviously

book your next sojourn & stay on girard ave, from where you can see both americas living in self-imposed segregation. it is to behold.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Terrifyingly stupid. I hope there is something in the water there that will prevent those mouth breathers from reproducing...
you talking about the wilding thugs, or anonymous e-racists?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
talking about racism....
last week a "help wanted" ad came on a (if not THE) major newspaper.

it literally asks for "5´6" or higher, good looking, FAIR SKINNED, )female receptionist, aged 18-23", for a university, nonetheless. (a diploma mill, actually).
and this school is owned by no other, than a congressman.

beat that, bitches.

pd. there has been a lot of fuzz for the ad, and there will be a US$30k fine to the offending institution; but things like this actually happen.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This is what I believe sparked the student to start the white student union.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/09/24/7-arrested-after-violence-erupts-after-towson-university-homecoming/

What none of the articles about the events of that night say is the Fraternity holding the party was a black fraternity and the event brought more than 1000 people from a local Historically Black college. My GF has a friend that goes to school at Towson University and was out that night, she said at one point there was 20 black people to every 1 white person. Most bars and businesses were kicking people out, locking doors and calling the police. At one point the news was reporting that there was 600+ people just roving(never mentioning race) the streets, fighting, breaking sh!t and eventually shooting someone. I've heard a couple first hand accounts from people out that night and they were absolutely terrified, people hiding in stores and bars, hiding in their cars and running to campus for safety. The local news both TV and print made no mention of race, but did note that not one person that was arrested was a Towson University Student.

With that being said, I still think the guy that started the White Student Union is a racist a$$hole. But if he already had some underlying racial issues and was out on Homecoming night and saw the "race riots" I can see how that could have been the catalyst for starting the white student union.

Again, not justifying it, just trying to give you guys a bit more back story...

Last edited: