Quantcast

This weeks edition of "It's not about race".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have no idea who Sean Hannity is.
That's good! Your life is probably better for it.

However calling it a day at the closing credits of easy rider after the original theater showing is a dereliction of duty, and has likely stunted your emotional development. To not know the Cohen brothers is to be unfamiliar with life itself!

That's like swearing off music because frankie valley sucked.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Imagine if Fox did this:

Well overdue for them to sort their shit out, they've been utterly atrocious for a long time (speaking as an ex Fairfax manager here).
I'm in the camp of "We'll wait and see if they hold to those ideals or not".

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There is a little bit about race.

The "Red House" in north Portland is outta control.

That's so 2 weeks ago. I don't even live there and I know that bit is over. They raised money to buy the house.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's so 2 weeks ago. I don't even live there and I know that bit is over. They raised money to buy the house.
What's interesting is they have another house and haven't lived in that one in like a year.

But folks in Portland aren't done protesting shit, so there is that.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Better yet, let's eliminate prisons.
Not sure if I would go that far.
You could drastically reduce populations, but some, yeah, they need to be institutionalized in some form.
Biggest problem is the slave labor they provide. There is a lot of consumer goods produced by prisoners.
For profit should be illegal.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
You coming here and bragging about living in a first world country is getting a little tiresome.
Sorry bro. If it helps our roads are pretty shit and our Maori and Pasifica population do face a significant degree of systemic racism and worse social outcomes, and the cost of food and housing is really high.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think it was probably on this thread that someone posted a story about a pocket of land in the south, I'm thinking maybe Alabama, that freed slaves had remained in after emancipation instead of migrating north. but I can't find it anymore and I'd really like to read it again, is that ringing any bells for anyone?

I think it was probably on this thread that someone posted a story about a pocket of land in the south, I'm thinking maybe Alabama, that freed slaves had remained in after emancipation instead of migrating north. but I can't find it anymore and I'd really like to read it again, is that ringing any bells for anyone?
There were a number of places. Start with the Dismal Swamp.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
There were a number of places. Start with the Dismal Swamp.
Yeah american beach right on the florida/georgia state line was one. Like JBP said, there were a few.
Thanks for the responses. I should have taken my time to write out the response better though (I was trying to watch my kids "slide" on fast grass covered in ice... great place for a concussion)

I think it was in the context of voting maps. And there's this little pocket of blue in a sea of red, and it was a historically black community. After emancipation, they had stayed put, to farm the fertile land and had never left. At first they voted Republican, but starting in the 60s they switched to Democtratic. I think it was also linked to a geological map because there was some sort of mineral deposit that caused the land to be so fertile...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the responses. I should have taken my time to write out the response better though (I was trying to watch my kids "slide" on fast grass covered in ice... great place for a concussion)

I think it was in the context of voting maps. And there's this little pocket of blue in a sea of red, and it was a historically black community. After emancipation, they had stayed put, to farm the fertile land and had never left. At first they voted Republican, but starting in the 60s they switched to Democtratic. I think it was also linked to a geological map because there was some sort of mineral deposit that caused the land to be so fertile...
I think it was the article discussed in this article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7011899/How-ancient-geology-left-mark-Maps-compare-Cretaceous-Alabama-modern-voting-trends.html

And it's the "Alabama Black Belt" that I was thinking of. I'll go an inform myself now!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jesus christ :rolleyes:

That's the most roundabout way of saying "people build cities and farms in fertile praries" I've ever seen.

yes that blue stripe is also montgomery, tuscaloosa and birmingham.
Agreed. My interest was about that belt of people who stayed put after emancipation. My wife is reading The Warmth of Other Suns right now and we were talking about the lived experience of freed slaves and their descendants. I was wondering what had kept some of them there, while a great deal of others dispersed or emigrated.