Quantcast

This weeks edition of "It's not about race".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know where the responsibility lies with a truck driver to not cook his brakes but 110 years for negligence seems excessive. If only the driver was named Kyle Smith or was the CEO of a pharmaceutical company responsible for tens of thousands of deaths he would be walking free.

Also it is pretty criminal these days that you can still cook the brakes on a semi. We have rockets that can fall from space and land safely but you can't drive a truck down steep hills.

A Colorado truck driver was sentenced to 110 years for a deadly crash. Over 3 million people have signed a petition asking for clemency. - CBS News

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I don't know where the responsibility lies with a truck driver to not cook his brakes but 110 years for negligence seems excessive. If only the driver was named Kyle Smith or was the CEO of a pharmaceutical company responsible for tens of thousands of deaths he would be walking free.

Also it is pretty criminal these days that you can still cook the brakes on a semi. We have rockets that can fall from space and land safely but you can't drive a truck down steep hills.

A Colorado truck driver was sentenced to 110 years for a deadly crash. Over 3 million people have signed a petition asking for clemency. - CBS News
As a large car owner and having carried a Class A CDL for 15 years, he should have known better and taken some action before crashing.

With that said, 110 years? Jesus. Wisconsin Kyle can willingly carry and shoot 3 people and gets off with nothing.
But this guy is a brown immigrant, so let’s make an example.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That’s what I’m saying…why can’t we have glasses that don’t fog?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Seriously?

...and they call Libs snowflakes :rofl:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Seriously?

...and they call Libs snowflakes :rofl:

It's always projection.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have 15 minute diversity sessions during our staff meetings once a month and they make me feel really uncomfortable. Not because of how it reminds me of racist past, but because the subject matter ignores racist past, is tone deaf and is mostly about making rich white people feel good about themselves.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
That's because most of it is made for honkys by honkys. I've had to sit through the online video version, and nearly chucked my laptop off the terrace. There are companies out there doing real work in DE&I, but most large corporations aren;t going to pay for it when the can hire consulting companies staffed by kids who've never been in the real business world to come up with scenarios and exercises that cater to soothing rampant honkyism

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's because most of it is made for honkys by honkys. I've had to sit through the online video version, and nearly chucked my laptop off the terrace. There are companies out there doing real work in DE&I, but most large corporations aren;t going to pay for it when the can hire consulting companies staffed by kids who've never been in the real business world to come up with scenarios and exercises that cater to soothing rampant honkyism

This week we explored what LGBTQ+ means. We were just told queer was a slur that we shouldn't use.

Last time we were told how to guess what kind of latino/Hispanic was. Which seemed an awful lot like "how to accurately stereotype"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Race is a concept that evolved from efforts to justify slavery. Genetically, there's little or nothing to support the concept.
Yes, I understand that, and that the consensus is that humanity never should have been split into factions based on geographic location, size / colour variation or any other arbitrary measure but that does not negate the fact that some populations have traits that are more prevalent and in the general public that usually equates to race.

Unfortunately people are not going to give up the concept as it gives them a sense of community and belonging or maybe solidarity against the dreaded other. We tend to group and subgroup ourselves based upon some ring type of fortifications. Family, clan / race / denomination / religion / community, /town or suburb / city / state / country / continent and lets not forget about politics, sexual preference, gender identity, medical issues and probably a bunch more than what I came up with off the top of my head.

Some groupings are needed and useful, but all seem to be able to be weaponized to one extent or another.

...and we call ourselves civilized....

Yes, I understand that, and that the consensus is that humanity never should have been split into factions based on geographic location, size / colour variation or any other arbitrary measure but that does not negate the fact that some populations have traits that are more prevalent and in the general public that usually equates to race.

Unfortunately people are not going to give up the concept as it gives them a sense of community and belonging or maybe solidarity against the dreaded other. We tend to group and subgroup ourselves based upon some ring type of fortifications. Family, clan / race / denomination / religion / community, /town or suburb / city / state / country / continent and lets not forget about politics, sexual preference, gender identity, medical issues and probably a bunch more than what I came up with off the top of my head.

Some groupings are needed and useful, but all seem to be able to be weaponized to one extent or another.

...and we call ourselves civilized....
Civilization: Rule by those who steal from and enslave us.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
time off for being a cunt
hardly

she's not wrong

Judaism is not a race, and race was specifically used by the nazis simply to define an enemy or 'other' as a scapegoat for lurking inhumanity

and you know nothing about the history of institutionalized antisemitism if you don't realize that

meanwhile fucker carlson literally spews supremecist white replacement theory nightly and you think whoopie goldberg, someone who is a jew, and a black woman in america who understand this issue more than you ever possibly could, is a cunt

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some people got their panties all bunched up because Dr. Dre used the lyrics “still not loving the police” during the Superbowl halftime show.

Meanwhile, probably a lot of the same people, sing a song at Tenessee football games that glorifies the murder of two federal agents.