Quantcast

This will piss you off for sure....

gonefirefightin

free wieners
found this on the blog

a motor vehicle driver, outraged that he was being asked to Share the Road, sped past some cyclists and slammed on his brakes; using his car as a weapon to critically injure the cyclists. Ron Peterson had no time to swerve and ended up with his face slamming into the car’s rear windshield. The other cyclist, Christian Stoehr, had more time to maneuver and escaped with an assortment of cuts and bruises. Both cyclists are accomplished racers who know how to safely maneuver on the road.

The LAPD arrested and charged Dr. Christopher Thompson who was released on $30,000 bail. No trial date has been set

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
figures it would be in LA.

edit: whats the minimum sentence for vehicular assault in California? I don't foresee ANY way this guy is gonna get out of a conviction (but then again this is LA) given the amount of witnesses and the guy's behavior.

edit #2: after some more reading, he's going to be charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon.

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Hit And Run Karma Sucks

Back in late March, Carrie Miller was riding home on Guadalupe when she was struck by a hit-and-run driver and thrown from her bike. The driver, whose passenger side mirror struck Miller, may not have stopped, but he left her with a key piece of evidence -- evidence that would lead Miller back to her own apartment building.

After picking up a piece of plastic that she originally thought was part of her bike, Miller realized it was from the car that struck her and became “obsessed” trying to find a match. As she was walking up the stairs of her apartment complex two days after the accident, she noticed a car with a broken passenger side mirror. Unfortunately for neighbor Justin Dloski, Miller’s memento fit perfectly around his broken passenger side mirror.

Initially telling police that he thought he'd struck a squirrel that night, Dloski later confessed that he had hit "something larger." He now faces a felony charge of failing to stop and render aid.

http://austinist.com/2008/07/01/hit_and_run_karma_sucks.php

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I have a butterfly knife like the second one in from the right. The metal one with holes in the handle.

When I ride, I usually carry my Kershaw spring-assisted folder, though. 2.4in blade or so, opens in the blink of an eye. Haven't had to use it yet and I don't think I ever will, but better safe than sorry.

I used to have a Columbia River Knife & Tool Lightfoot M1. That was an awesome knife, had some good weight behind it too.

I know some drivers can be douchebags, but ****, this guy takes it to a new level.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Yeah, I have a Google News section on bicycles and easily 90% of it is auto-bicycle injuries and fatalities. It's scary, but I'm still comfortable on the road for whatever reason.
I'm comfortable on the road, but that's probably because every run-in with douchebags I've had or heard about was them gently nudging cyclists or honking.

That and I hardly ride in the road itself. Bike lanes or sidewalks for me.

Oh, or in the creeks. But I don't commute through creeks, so.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Since we hear this every day... I've become numb.
Normally I am pretty numb to Bicycle to motorvehicle accidents happening, but this guy might as well have run them down. That pisses me off pretty good actually. I hope the guy gets is nutts cut off. Cause if not, I am going to cut him off brake check his ass the same way he did to these riders. I hope he gets the real good welcome to the cell block.

I'm comfortable on the road, but that's probably because every run-in with douchebags I've had or heard about was them gently nudging cyclists or honking.

That and I hardly ride in the road itself. Bike lanes or sidewalks for me.

Oh, or in the creeks. But I don't commute through creeks, so.
Riding on sidewalks is lame. Learn to ride in traffic; it's actually fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apparently this guy has 4 charges against him.... 2 counts of reckless driving and 2 counts of felony battery (felony vehicular assault). This should get interesting.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-bike9-2008jul09,0,4998839.story
http://laist.com/2008/07/11/road_rage_motorist_charged_with_4_c.php

edit: apparently this might not have been the first time this guy has done something like this. One of the comments on the first link states that he was pursued by police for an incident similar to this before. If there's any police record of it, it will most certainly surface and will be another nail in this guy's coffin by way of establishing a pattern of aggressive behavior towards cyclists.

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Judge denies bail as the prosecutor says no cyclist would feel safe with Thompson on the road

The courtroom gallery was filled to capacity Monday as a jury of seven women and five men announced it had convicted former emergency room doctor Christopher Thomas Thompson of assaulting a pair of cyclists last year by abruptly stopping his car in front of them.

For the first time in the trial, which spanned three weeks, cyclists outnumbered Thompson supporters in the gallery. There was a palpable tension in the room greater than any felt during the trial.

Thompson was convicted of six felonies: two counts each of assault with a deadly weapon and battery with serious bodily injury as well as reckless driving causing specified injury and mayhem. He was also convicted of misdemeanor reckless driving.

The six felonies stemmed from the July 4, 2008 incident with cyclists Ron Peterson and Christian Stoehr. The misdemeanor was occasioned by the altercation with cyclists Patrick Watson and Josh Crosby.

When the jury entered the room only one member of the panel hazarded a brief glance at the defendant; the rest looked at the judge, the attorneys or into the gallery.

When the court clerk read the verdict of “guilty” for the first count, reckless driving causing specified injury, Thompson’s head slumped. He then raised it and waited for the verdict in the second count, battery with serious bodily injury. “Guilty,” the clerk said and this time Thompson’s head dropped, chin to chest. He did not lift his head for the rest of the verdicts, all guilty.

http://www.velonews.com/article/99813/road-rage-verdict-victims-speak

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Glad to see that people are taking charge and looking out for cyclists.

The guy that ran me over 4 months ago(literally bumper on top of me, me on top of my bike) blowing out my knee ended up only getting fined $125.