Quantcast

This Winters Dh Bike

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:
dewwy dude, what pegs do you use? winter x bike? Would they work with this? http://cgi.ebay.com/GT-I-Drive-4-0-full-suspension-mtnbike-frame_W0QQitemZ7190637996QQcategoryZ98083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Does the i drive bb thing spin?

I am using Redline stunt pegs the ones the street riders put on their axles they are tapered just enough that when bolted together through the bb they fit perfectly and can slip, just use a long large bolt and nut ans sandwich the frames bb shell between them

As far as that frame that would make an awesome ski bike but I am not real familiar with the GT I drive if it takes a standard type bb it would work fine

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
how does the bike handle on steeps and on glade, like normal DH race conditions? Is it tough to control speed? Are tehy better on wide open groomers? Would any mountain allow me to just bring my MTB with some studded snow tires on it? I wanna do some winter DH practice because of a lack of DHing over the summer.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
In the link above somewhere, it says what resorts alow them.

Ski biking might help you drift through corners when you get back on wheeled bike.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
It *might* help you get used to the feeling of having your "wheels" slide, but the position in which you turn on a ski bike (leaning into the turn -- weighting the inside edge) is different from that of a real bike (keeping the weight over the wheels, so leaning "out" of the turn), so for me, at least, it hasn't helped *too* much with turning. Nevertheless, it feels awesome to rail on a ski bike.

P.S. Sorry for the excessive posting in this thread... I'm just stoked to go ride!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Excessive posting is good in this thread. I am stoked about building one. I want to keep hearing and talikng about them.

The winter x mounts are $160. My dad knows someone whos knows a machinist. I might be able to have some made cheaper.

Dewey dude, can you take a pictures of your pegs and mounts so i can think of some ideas?

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtbnbrider I'll get some pics and post them tomorrow I have your E-mail address and ill also send them to you

In the mean time ! there are some good pics and info HERE

And here are some pics of the old Cannondale

I still have this one set-up for a secondary bike for friends to try and it handles awesome with just a 50mm head shok

Attachments

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Here is what I am thinking of doing. This picture show a snowskate board in the back with a ski in front. I am going to make a ski for the back too, so when i end up at the snow, I can try both.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:
Here is what I am thinking of doing. This picture show a snowskate board in the back with a ski in front. I am going to make a ski for the back too, so when i end up at the snow, I can try both.

That looks great

If you can build it as well as you can draw it up on the computor your going to have a hell of a ride :D

P.S sorry I didn't get the close up pics of the Giant up today I was out of town riding all day :dancing: and didn't get home till after dark .
I want to take the pics outdoors with good natural light

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
bikedumpdave said:
if you check the pic on post # 14 you will see my foot plates
also note the skate broad trucks for ski mounting

http://www.mtbkanata.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23292

I also found narrow sharpe skies with steel edges best, the wider ones like on the tank , dont work well on ice!!! :) Dave
Cool another ski-biker :) Welcome to the forum Where do you run that thing? I run groomed runs and terrain parks ocassionaly when I can but mostly back country powder on a mount hood shutttle trail.
I may have to sing up over there to see what those guys think of mine

bikedumpdave

Chimp
Mar 9, 2004
ottawa ontario
I made that model 9 yrs ago, from a BMX bike , and it still works better than the newer model that I made from a folding-raliegh 20" wheel model, which I will post a pic of in the coming months when it comes out of storage? we ride at ;
http://www.calabogie.com/calhome.asp
on week days if they arent bussey. hoping to have a couple other locals out this winter , because the tend is catching on !and they also have made home built models. we dont have enough snow yet but by Xmas hoping to be riding again. we are also looking into putting on a winter snow race this year for both , bikes with wheels [ studded ] and ski bikes as well. they rent a model of ski bike at the resort that has short snow broads and you stand one foot front and one back .
mnt sutton in the eastern townships of Quebec as a number of different ski bikes that the resort staff use daily. D