Quantcast

Thomson dropper post

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
might not be DH related but this forum is trolled, i mean viewed, more.

i cant believe they didnt put the cable actuation on the bottom but it sure does look purty

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Kickass. While it doesn't have much in the ways of bells and whistles, what excites me is the likelihood of reliability.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i cant believe they didnt put the cable actuation on the bottom but it sure does look purty
First thing i thought when i saw it, i know guys that are waiting to buy droppers just because of that. What is mechanism is preventing most manufacturers from doing this?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
First thing i thought when i saw it, i know guys that are waiting to buy droppers just because of that. What is mechanism is preventing most manufacturers from doing this?
from their FB page:
From the Stig: You have to cheese the internals to put the cable at the mid or bottom. Durability first, fashion second.
all of their products are pretty rock solid and im sure they did their homework but KS has their LEV w/ its cable actuation on the bottom and you dont hear too much about KS's having issues

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Do want. This will most likely find it's way to my SB66c. I have hesitated buying a dropper post due to reliability, but I would buy this in a heartbeat.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
cable at the head and non user serviceable/adjustable will keep me away. i'm sure it will be reliable but the fact that i'd have to send it away to get it eventually serviced means no thanks. curious also who is making the cart for them...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
cable at the head and non user serviceable/adjustable will keep me away. i'm sure it will be reliable but the fact that i'd have to send it away to get it eventually serviced means no thanks. curious also who is making the cart for them...
Just sayin.

"The Elite Dropper's outsourced internals are laser etched at the bottom of the post (left), including the nod to its Norglide bushings and Motul oil. The threaded silver bottom cap (right) allows access to the post's internals, while a specially-shaped plug at its center keeps users from letting the nitrogen gas escape accidentally. "

"You have to cheese the internals to put the cable at the mid or bottom. Durability first, fashion second."

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Just sayin.

"The Elite Dropper's outsourced internals are laser etched at the bottom of the post (left), including the nod to its Norglide bushings and Motul oil. The threaded silver bottom cap (right) allows access to the post's internals, while a specially-shaped plug at its center keeps users from letting the nitrogen gas escape accidentally. "

"You have to cheese the internals to put the cable at the mid or bottom. Durability first, fashion second."
so we can open it up but not let the nitro out first and once we're in there the actual cart is sealed?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
from their FB page:

all of their products are pretty rock solid and im sure they did their homework but KS has their LEV w/ its cable actuation on the bottom and you dont hear too much about KS's having issues
That is good enough reason for me, I was just curious.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Robert De Rose In order for the cable to be routed at the bottom, the durability and functionality of the internals would drop. We looked at the different options; and the durability of the cable and it's use in the field was less concerning than the durability and functionality of the internals. The overall systems durability was the driver. So when given the choice of which functional aspect to go with, we choose the cylinder functionality over the cable placement. Their should be a 30.9mm, though the 31.6mm will come out first. Won't be able to make a 27.2mm size as it gets to small to fit all the components in, with the same functional requirements. Also it wouldn't meet the structural requirements at such a small diameter.
from the company who makes the cartridge

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
KS has their LEV w/ its cable actuation on the bottom and you dont hear too much about KS's having issues
but there aren't that many LEVs out there as far as I know... I just got one, and I'm hoping it's at least as durable as their other products, but there were no guarantees. It was an expensive leap of faith, I hope it works out.

in the mean time, it works AWESOME!

edited to add: the Thomson post sure looks purdy...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I love my Gravity Dropper.
I can't stand how all other dropper posts have a cable that moves up and down with the seat.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
OMG! What the F' were they thinking when they routed that!!! I'm out. I can't buy that just cause of the cable!

I'm on a KS 950r for 3 seasons now with no problems whatsoever. I'm not light either (250-285). I run the 950r "backwards" for a little setback. Again, no problems.

The cable runs smoothly along the top tube and bends smoothly to follow the post. It's zip tied to the rear brake hose just before the bend. The cable is never in the way and never snags on anything cause your body is in front of it. Even though I love my hydro discs, one less thing to bleed is a plus. You get the best of both worlds- Cable actuated, hydraulic inners.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
True. I haven't heard very good reviews about it though.
really? that surprises me. Mine works great, and previous KS offerings have proven to be very reliable from what I gather (see above post!). It doesn't win prizes for weight or price, but I'd understood it to be very functional and reliable, which is what I'm after in a post. Time will tell I guess.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
For me, this cable routing thing is more a problem in theory than practice. I've run gravity droppers, joplins, and reverbs for a long time. It takes maybe one ride to get things routed and from there it's a non-issue for me. I mean I agree that stealth routing or a fixed cable would be cleaner, but it's not a big issue for for me or any of my riding buddies.

I am digging the lever on this post (and the Lev). The lever is about the only thing I'm not crazy about on the reverb. Works great but the ergonomics and fit are not super.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
For me, this cable routing thing is more a problem in theory than practice.
Totally agree. The cable is a non-issue with my Reverb and I have never felt it was there or wish it wasn't. I find the cable routing for the derailleurs and rear brake much more annoying as the suspension cycles, but this is frame design-specific (Giant Trance).

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm buying one. I have a great deal of faith in Thompson, and the cable routing don't bother me none, especially since the bottom route won't work on my bike.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm buying one. I have a great deal of faith in Thompson, and the cable routing don't bother me none, especially since the bottom route won't work on my bike.
Word. I'll be getting one too. I don't get why people are so butt hurt about the cabling. Thomson has obviously taken the routing into consideration....

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Any clue as to when these are going to be available to the general public? Just got the new SB66, now I need to blow some more coin on a dropper post.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Totally agree. The cable is a non-issue with my Reverb and I have never felt it was there or wish it wasn't. I find the cable routing for the derailleurs and rear brake much more annoying as the suspension cycles, but this is frame design-specific (Giant Trance).
i concur. though given an oem situation i'd choose the reverb stealth (for aesthetics more than anything), i've absolutely no issues with my conventional reverb. with appropriate hose routing and length, it's tidy.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Word. I'll be getting one too. I don't get why people are so butt hurt about the cabling. Thomson has obviously taken the routing into consideration....
it's not so much that we're butt-hurt, but if an alternative exists that works as well, is as durable but doesn't have wonky cable issues... then why not?! And if I'm not mistaken, KS is an american company too, so no issues on the "buy America" clause there either...

Gee, i better pipe down, I'm beginning to sound like a shill... plus, I'm not really on-topic. That's it for me... except to reiterate that the Thomson post is one hell of a looker.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
IMO, obviously the cable at a different spot looks better and may be less annoying, etc, but I think Thomson is a good company and they made choice to go the route they did. I would rather deal with a company that states they did it that way for a reason than ending up having to rebuild it every three months because a different way looks better.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I think it is safe to say people are excited about this post because it is likely to be very robust and low maintenance. And, having a cable routing that isn't quite as clean as the KS Lev is an acceptable trade off. It's the flipside of the argument for buying a dropper post with a stationary cable.

That being said, the Reverb seems to be pretty refined these days. I put one on my wife's trail bike a couple months ago, and its been problem free so far.

I think KS is a Taiwan based company. A quick check of their website gives a California address for "KS USA", while the main company name is listed is KS High Tech, LTD, or something.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
The ham fists out there are gonna' strip the shti out of that cable clamp bolt/hole.

I'm very happy with my two regular hose Reverbs, but if the option to have the hose out at the lower collar area was there, would totally go that route.

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would love to have a well-engineered component made with real R&D prioritized over subjective looks. Pricing will most likely be a deal-breaker though :(

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just tried to order one from my shop. Thomson is saying 6 months.

I has sad now.