Quantcast

Thomson Failure

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Anyone ever had a Thomson stem fail on them?

Well now I have >:(

I guess after 5 years, along with the frame I should replace some other parts too.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
The out of focus is a problem with the camera, not the stem.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I just ordered one of those for the GF. How long did you ride it before it cracked?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Yep, already got a new one on and ready to go tomorrow AM.

The stem has been 5+ years and plenty of riding so... I guess I shouldnt be too disappointed.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
It's been my experience that Thomson is awesome with customer service. About as fast as Mavic, though.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
did you have the bolt tension set to exact lbs. per sq. inch? Thomson is very insistent on using a torque wrench, to set tension to their specs. I know they do a lot of testing on what breaks other high quality stems and then make there's stronger, so maybe another stem would have completely failed?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
poor treatment of an awesome company to post pics without calling for service first. would be much nicer to read a thread about how well you were treated by dave.

Butch how is this poor treatment? Rob is not bashing the company in any way. He is just asking a simple question. I for one have used a Thomson stems and posts for quite some time and love them but this is the first time I have heard or seen of one broken. I will still use their stuff and love it but is a reminder that NO product is indestructable or will last forever regardless of how perfect their reputation. Especially if Rob is riding it. :biggrin:

That said. Rob if you can get it warrantied for a different length, say a 70mm I will buy it from you.

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
poor treatment of an awesome company to post pics without calling for service first. would be much nicer to read a thread about how well you were treated by dave.
i completely disagree. this post is not a condemnation of thomson at all and anyone who reads it that way is jumping to conclusions.

it is not a productive attitude to cover up product failures, the more information available to everyone the better able we all are to maintain our bikes and avoid future problems.

i don't think there's a question in anyone's mind that thomson stems are amongst the best on the market, and the rarity of a post like this one just testifies to their reliability, especially given that this stem had a five year run.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
i completely disagree. this post is not a condemnation of thomson at all and anyone who reads it that way is jumping to conclusions.

it is not a productive attitude to cover up product failures, the more information available to everyone the better able we all are to maintain our bikes and avoid future problems.

i don't think there's a question in anyone's mind that thomson stems are amongst the best on the market, and the rarity of a post like this one just testifies to their reliability, especially given that this stem had a five year run.

I can agree with your attitude here but, -Bizutch is coming from a professional standpoint in how to deal with bike companies.
They don't like to see their product displayed in this way, that is the reality. They would much rather replace it. And as butch pointed out, coming at it from another angle to thank them for replacing it and bragging on how long it lasted and that they still stood behind it or whatever.
Not bashing on you Rob, they'll probably never see this post. -Just don't pull that out at Sea Otter or somewhere a manufacturer may be present! haha Not gonna get you any points toward a warranty if they know you showed all the riders how their product failed.

Last edited:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Not bashing on you Rob, they'll probably never see this post. -Just don't pull that out at Sea Otter or somewhere a manufacturer may be present! haha Not gonna get you any points toward a warranty if they know you showed all the riders how their product failed.

This should be a testament on how well their product is built. Rob has BEAT the **** out of that stem the entire time he has owned it. It has seen more than its fair share of crashes.

Point of the first post still is: Has any one had a Thomson stem fail? For everyone I know that has one & seen on the internet this is the first time I have seen one fail. And it should have with the use it has seen. Rob is not knocking the product in any way or he would not have bought another one to replace it.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Don't worry, I look forward to singing the praises of Thomson if (as expected) they stand behind their product.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Damn, 5 years of hard abuse! That's pretty impressive. I have broke a Thomson on the BMX bike, it was about 4 years old. Damn, I didn't even think about trying to get help from David. Oh well, I guess the way I treated it was that if it lasted four years of my non-smooth landing 200lbs arse it's a pretty damn good stem! I think that I can afford to replace the stem every fours years.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Damn, 5 years of hard abuse! That's pretty impressive. I have broke a Thomson on the BMX bike, it was about 4 years old. Damn, I didn't even think about trying to get help from David. Oh well, I guess the way I treated it was that if it lasted four years of my non-smooth landing 200lbs arse it's a pretty damn good stem! I think that I can afford to replace the stem every fours years.
I broke your stem first run at Snowshoe yesterday.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Just got word today that my new stem should be on the way to me today/Monday. Whenever it gets out of shipping.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Awesome, but not surprising.
They make great product and take care of their customers.
We may not have many bike companies based out of the Southeast,
but the ones we do have kick ass.
Thomson, Morewood, I9, Cane Creek etc....

Last edited:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Check out my wife wearing a body paint bikini

:P I'm glad to hear that a replacement is on the way. I've been using Thompson stuff for a long time now.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Check out my wife wearing a body paint bikini

:P I'm glad to hear that a replacement is on the way. I've been using Thompson stuff for a long time now.
Wow!!! If I take my reading glasses off I can see her perfectly. :clue:

Yeah the stem failed but didn't fail catastrophically it still held onto the bar.