Quantcast

Thor 50/50 boots

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I have a pair of Thor 50/50 boots that I use for when I ride my fiddy's around. I decided to try them when I DH and I absolutely love them. Anyone else wear them to DH in?

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bet that won't work for you. You flex your ankles on the MX, but not as much as 100 rpm cadence on a bike.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm not saying that they'd be great, but I don't think that diagram is very representational of DH, as when we pedal we're normally out of the saddle standing upright tilting the bike from side to side.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
they look pretty sweet and beef to me, how much $ though? i just stick to cheap DC's. good waffle pattern grip.
Trum I think they run around $130.00 on the net.

why do you need burly boots just for downhilling the bicycle?
Honestly I don't need 3/4 of the pads I wear. Leatte brace, elbow pads, knee and shin pad, body armor and helmet. I don't get paid to ride DH. So if I get hurt no body is picking up the tab...... Like I tell my buddies I ride with...... "Why do you worry about all the gear I wear??? You can't see it from way back their anyway......!!":thumb:

Actually last weekend at N Star I saw 2 people leave the mountain with broken ankles. I bet if they had proper shoes/boots they would be riding this weekend as well..... So beaver do I really need the boots? Maybe not. But they don't bother me to ride with them. I just like as much protection as I can get...

But honestly they are not as bulky as you would think..... I like to jump. And when I land some of the big drops at N Star the boots sure make the landing feel good...

Thanks for the responses guys......!!! :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DH is safer than MX because of the lack of speed and applied accereration.

The speed is pretty obvious, but you are not going to plant a foot doing 30mph then accelerate out a turn to 50.

We all could face plant and yes, you might get your foot wedged in a bad way. But given that there is some pedalling and that it is safer, I think a big boot is unecessary.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Total Heckler Gnarly ligament tearing and a dislocated foot.[/QUOTE said:
Heckler what do you wear now when you ride?

I really was not trying to make this a debate on DH shoes. The post was more to see if anyone else has tried the Thor boots for DH. I knew a lot of people would think the boot where over kill. But just like my leatt neck brace. It is over kill until you break your neck...... LOL

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't have any experience with moto type boots. Sidi tried to make a DH boot once and it was a flop. If you need some ankle support, 5.10 makes a few pairs of high tops, or you could get some Tims.

Also, learning how to fall is just as important as learning how to ride.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have some Alpinestars Tech 2s which are much like the Thor boots and I couldn't think of a worse thing to wear DHing, well maybe my full size Tech 7s.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I have some Alpinestars Tech 2s which are much like the Thor boots and I couldn't think of a worse thing to wear DHing, well maybe my full size Tech 7s.
Alpine Tech 2's are much higher than a Thor. But who cares. I will rock The Thors none the less......

Also, learning how to fall is just as important as learning how to ride.
Today 05:09 PM
John I would love for you to show me how to safely fall where we ride.

It is really hard to safely fall on rocks......

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I think they are a great idea. If they dont bother you wear them. I cant even count how many broken toes and sprained ankles Ive had. I wear these now and so far they are burley enough.

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Kanter you are right. I all comes down to the individual and comfort zone. The Thors work fine for me.......:thumb: Kinda of crazy that people will protect their elbows, knees, chest and head. But don't think their feet and ankles are important enough to protect.......:confused:

Attachments

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
Ankle breaks are not fun. It does not take much rotational force to snap your tibia, fibula are both. However, with a stiff boot your knee may be more prone to trouble.

I think their is a good product idea somewhere in between boots and shoes. Also, the better shape your muscles are in, the less damage a crash or foot plant will do. This it why amatures get hurt so much.

Here is a quote from an OLD 2007 post I wrote on the 5-10 subject.

"I Don't think I will blame my 5-10'S for this, But this probably could not have happened clipped in. I usaully run Clipped in, perphaps my inexperience with 5-10's is the reason

Fontana #4, sharp right corner at lower rock garden. I was fully committed to my line, but not see any trouble. My right foot grips the inside flat rock, my foot is rotated clockwise. I heard the bones snap while my hands were still on the bars. It was a spiral break of the tibia. Required 5 screws and 1 PLATE.

5-10'S GRIP REALLY REALLY GOOD. i MIGHT SAY THEY GRIP ROCK BETTER THAT PEDALS, But you all can decide for yourself"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
John I would love for you to show me how to safely fall where we ride.

It is really hard to safely fall on rocks......
I've ridden N* before (that's where that pic is from, right?) and yea, its gnar in spots. The trick is to teach yourself to not automatically put an arm/hand/leg/foot out, at least in some cases. Easier said than done, I know. But in my experience and the experiences of friends that's how a lot of injuries occur. Also, it depends on how fast your going and how your riding, the trail, etc.

The truth is there's no "good" way to fall. Its generally about learning how to minimize injuries to yourself foremost, and secondly damage to your bike (but that's a big second place).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't really have an opinion in this debate, but I was wondering what kind of grip those would have on the pedals? If they are prone to slipping off, wouldn't that constitute a greater threat to your health than a less protective, but grippier shoe?

just curious...

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I don't really have an opinion in this debate, but I was wondering what kind of grip those would have on the pedals? If they are prone to slipping off, wouldn't that constitute a greater threat to your health than a less protective, but grippier shoe?

just curious...
Sly I rode N star yesterday and the Thor boots have excellent pedal grip. Much better than my DC skate shoes. And my DC's shoes griped like velcro. I have not found any negatives from the boots yet. And I had 15 runs yesterday with two flat tires and one broken back rim that I actually tig welded up last night......:thumb: I will be N Star today. If anyone notices someone rocking the Thors come up and say hi..... It will have to be me......!!!!:D

bikedumpdave

Chimp
Mar 9, 2004
ottawa ontario
4 years ago I torn my acklees tendon,
and started riding with an air cast with a moto cros sole attached

one of my friend told me about the 50/50 s ,
and I have been using them for 3 season ,
I am 100% sold that they have made me a better rider,
just about worn them out and will be looking for a new pair soon

looked at many boots before picking the 50/50s,
but they have a ply able centre strip that becomes peddle friendly the more you stretch it

the only bad point is that if your feet get wet,
they do dry out quickly
the ski boot method, with a hair drier works best

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
bikedumpdave I just got back from a 2 hour session at N Star. I agree with you.... I am a much more confident and faster rider because of my new choice of foot wear. The first thing I noticed about the boots was my corner speed had increased significantly with the boots. I could blaze through rough corners with breaking bumps with ease now where before my ankles would take a beating....

And with the big jumps and rock gardens these boots are "golden"..... Thanks for your post. I knew there had to be one other DH'er rocking the 50/50's.....

Happy 4th people....... Be safe.....!!!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've gone down at Northstar pretty good a few times. Almost paralyzed myself once, but didn't because I knew how to fall. It was in a snotty section too (right under the lift just above the berms out of Karp/DB going at what I'd call a pace that was a bit too fast). Once you spend enough time riding fast and know what goes on in your head in a crash you can get control of it. I see people get hurt because they seize up. A few 60mph get-offs in the desert will correct your perspective haha...a mountain bike crash wont even raise your pulse! Not that I advocate jumping on a motorcycle just to fall off..

Those bike boots look fairly heavy too. I wonder how stiff the sole is for the weight penalty.

If someone comes out with a stiff (read: carbon soled) XC shoe with a solid toe that wraps around and can take rock hits and doesn't fall apart or wear down excessively fast while hiking, I will pay very good money for it. At the moment I'm using the Specialized Comp which has a fairly tough toe to it, but could be stiffer and have a longer lasting tread.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ankle support is a good thing in DH. Ask Donny<BMXman> how quickly your ankle can break in what seems like a simple place.

How much ankle support is up to the individual rider, I am another that wear all my gear when I ride, FF helmet, chest/spine protection, elbow protection, knee/shin guards, gloves, proper shoes ETC...I have to go to work the next day when I ride, I cant afford major injuries.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Im running the Alpinestars 101 which are just like the Thor's and I love them. The rigors of DH racing definitely justify more than just a skate shoe. I broke my big toe from a good crash wearing skate shoes and ordered the stars the next day. Ride what you like

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
adidas hematomas are plenty of protection, i would think if you want that much protection youd rock something made just for DH.
I bring them with me but ,never use them. you can bang your feet real good with them and just keep trucking along.
If the shoe fits ya tear it up,,,, cant disrespect anothers footwear choice.

happhazard

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
Hey DirtMcGirk- were'd you get those Sidis? Do they still make them? (I'm guessing they're SPD's) I've got a jacked up ankle. Seeing that picture is already making it feel better! Thanks!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
how is it to hike in the thor's? Is there enough ankle movement so they occasional 30-50 minute hike a bike isn't going to kill you? I'm on 5-10 Rennie's at the moment and those work as well as I could hope for that sorta thing.

Last edited:

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
At the last plattekill race, i took my first run wearing my normal sneakers (Nike 6.0's, great square waffle pattern) and everything was cool. Just for kicks (no pun intended) I decided to do my next run wearing my hiking boots (Merrell, vibram sole) and holy crap I'll never go back to sneakers again.

A) the vibram gripped the pedal better than the sneakers (okay 5.10 users this point is moot to you)

b) the large tread blocks seemed to lock the boot to the pedal (dark cycles arachnids)

c) on any drop landing or sketchy section, i felt like i was spending less effort keeping my feet on the pedals. I chalk this up to the stiffer sole overall of the boots. So exact foot position on the pedal (fore/aft) did not matter as much I still felt in control.

d) toe and ankle protection: i broke 3 toes at diablo early this season landing toes into a rock on a jump (too far to the right) and we all know how much it hurts to take even a minor hit to the ball-like joint at the ankle. The boots solved all that. I feel better protected against a toe strike and the ankle padding is, well... there.

so thats my $.02, after back to back comparison of sneakers vs. hiking boots.

-Kurt

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
At the last plattekill race, i took my first run wearing my normal sneakers (Nike 6.0's, great square waffle pattern) and everything was cool. Just for kicks (no pun intended) I decided to do my next run wearing my hiking boots (Merrell, vibram sole) and holy crap I'll never go back to sneakers again.

A) the vibram gripped the pedal better than the sneakers (okay 5.10 users this point is moot to you)

b) the large tread blocks seemed to lock the boot to the pedal (dark cycles arachnids)

c) on any drop landing or sketchy section, i felt like i was spending less effort keeping my feet on the pedals. I chalk this up to the stiffer sole overall of the boots. So exact foot position on the pedal (fore/aft) did not matter as much I still felt in control.

d) toe and ankle protection: i broke 3 toes at diablo early this season landing toes into a rock on a jump (too far to the right) and we all know how much it hurts to take even a minor hit to the ball-like joint at the ankle. The boots solved all that. I feel better protected against a toe strike and the ankle padding is, well... there.

so thats my $.02, after back to back comparison of sneakers vs. hiking boots.

-Kurt

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'll throw them on the Nomad this weekend. See if I can't get someone to take a photo of me riding in them, and some spandex, and not much else.