Quantcast

Those lazy bums

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Well I was all excited to cap off a 4 day trip at Whistler this morning. Closing day. Yeah the weather stunk compared to the previous 3. Oh well, its closing day. So last chance to go a little bigger or a little faster. Right???

Well, to my surprise, and to dozens of others, they decided not to run the lifts :nope: . The poor front line people at Guest Relations were given a handfull of excuses. Bike Patrol said it was too dangerous. They would have to close all but a few trails, etc,etc,etc. All of the managers seem to be unavailable to speak to. So the emails and phone calls will start tomorrow.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Oh man, there are going to me some mad people. Were there a lot of people waiting to ride? Why was today the last day? I thought Sunday was. Did it rain or snow a lot the night before?

Did you go ride Gargymel or any local trails?

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Kanter said:
Oh man, there are going to me some mad people. Were there a lot of people waiting to ride? Why was today the last day? I thought Sunday was. Did it rain or snow a lot the night before?

Did you go ride Gargymel or any local trails?
Oh yes, there were people in the parking lot. Lots of frustration throughout. Some drove from Vancouver. One guy came from Victoria, ferry and all, for just the day.

Today is Thanksgiving in CA. Thats why they were open today. Or at least were supposed to be. It rained last night and it was raining today. No more than wet times during the season. I can understand if they close the top, but most of the lower trails would have been fine, albeit a bit sloppy.

I passed on the local trails. I thought about hooking up with some locals from Squamish to ride down there, but decided to pack it in and head for home.

All in all, it was an awesome season up there. Just a bit of sour note to finish it out.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Oooh ooh!
Me too!
Me too!

BTW Oly, somone rebuilt that extremely crappy riverbed trail near the dump in DNR. It is a lot more fun, and more challenging now. Albeit without jumps.

Thursday and Friday I'm open!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
riverbed trail? Not sure what one you mean? Mikes still doing lunch rides for the most part, i try to join when i can but get pretty busy. We were talking of bringing back Night rides... maybe even back in the DNR land.... or Docton...

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
For anyone who cares....
I just got off the phone with Tom Pro, the Bike park manager. He was very very apologetic about what happened yesterday. He said that the decision to close early was from on high. He nor Bike Patrol had anything to do with it. It was strictly an economic decision.

He did assure me that this would NEVER happen again, at least not on closing day.

Sounds like upper management really stepped in it this time:rolleyes:.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
from what i understand, people were shuttling to the top of a-line. including the huckwagon for the 1st times ever. should have kept your eyes open if ya really wanted to ride that day!

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Fast&Smooth said:
from what i understand, people were shuttling to the top of a-line. including the huckwagon for the 1st times ever. should have kept your eyes open if ya really wanted to ride that day!
Considering the legal/liability issues in the DH world, I'm sure that Whistler managment loved the idea of 3rd parties transporting unpaid users into the park :eek:.

Next time, I will be a bit more patient. BTW, when I left at high noon yesterday, the Huck Wagon was still clean and safe in the lower parking lot.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
vibiker said:
Considering the legal/liability issues in the DH world, I'm sure that Whistler managment loved the idea of 3rd parties transporting unpaid users into the park :eek:.

Next time, I will be a bit more patient. BTW, when I left at high noon yesterday, the Huck Wagon was still clean and safe in the lower parking lot.
yea you would think so but no, found this on nsmb

"We showed up at the mountain to be told its too stormy and the lifts were closed. We said screw it, we will hike the mountain and thats what we did. We rode the boneyard for awhile. Then God himself showed up, Tom Pro, to tell us we could shuttle to the top of aline. The huckwagon made its virgin trip up the whistler fire road and we had a wicked ride down."

Jun 18, 2004
That would have been cool to shuttle whistler... I've wondered in the early ski season if you could push to the top of the Fitzchair w/o getting a ticket... it sux that they closed like that... as I was driving home in the dark/slick/wet/scary ride back on Sunday night w/a broken collar bone w/2 bikes on my truck that I couldn't lift onto the tailgate I wasn't just scared of the weather... I was bumbed that I didn't get to ride the last day... well since sunday is the day I broke it then I guess I ended up riding the last day after all... the (personal) irony of it all...

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Str8OutaBallard said:
That would have been cool to shuttle whistler... I've wondered in the early ski season if you could push to the top of the Fitzchair w/o getting a ticket... it sux that they closed like that... as I was driving home in the dark/slick/wet/scary ride back on Sunday night w/a broken collar bone w/2 bikes on my truck that I couldn't lift onto the tailgate I wasn't just scared of the weather... I was bumbed that I didn't get to ride the last day... well since sunday is the day I broke it then I guess I ended up riding the last day after all... the (personal) irony of it all...
Which side did you break - left or right?

Oh and welcome to the BCC (Broken Clavicle Club) :D

Jun 18, 2004
Five said:
Which side did you break - left or right?

Oh and welcome to the BCC (Broken Clavicle Club) :D
I broke my right clavicle (sunday)... 13 months ago dislocated right shoulder on A line... 2 years ago my left shoulder AC joint at the Greenlake Dirt jumps...

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I have some good lights that are underused...

I think that camp sealth would be a great night ride.
We could connect it with the mormon trails and DJ's at mikes house.