Quantcast

Those poor Mormons...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120243323721852411.html?mod=mostpop

"I don't think that any of us had any idea how much anti-Mormon stuff was out there," said Armand Mauss, a Mormon sociologist who has written extensively about church culture, in an interview last week. "The Romney campaign has given the church a wake-up call. There is the equivalent of anti-Semitism still out there."

Oh really?

(The best part is that most of the anti-Mormon sentiment was coming from...you guessed it...Evangelical Christians! Personally speaking, I don't find Mormonism any stupider than Christianty, Judaism, or Islam. It's just newer, like Scientology.)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The best part is that most of the anti-Mormon sentiment was coming from...you guessed it...Evangelical Christians! Personally speaking, I don't find Mormonism any stupider than Christianty, Judaism, or Islam. It's just newer, like Scientology.)
it makes perfect sense that evangelicals would be the most concerned group: they take the topic of religion very seriously (to the point of expanding their biblical knowledge until they die), and take umbrage to what is widely believed to be a cult "muscling in on their territory" (distorting the message of christianity).

sure doesn't help when foxnews gives the LDS church yet another chance to be open & honest about the fundamentals of their theology and are met with arrogant answers (repeating same answer to a follow-up question purposefully phrased to get more detail), and that members of the church refer to their faith as being just as legitimate - or even more so - than mainstream christianity.

we could easily vote for a conservative jew & catholic, but a mormon requires much more scrutiny, and for some not-so-insignificant number, there is no amount of scrutiny to satisfy their bigotry & fear. to be honest, i'm probably one of them, especially when it comes to a dyed-in-the-wool mormon (as opposed to a 'jack mormon', who i'd at least consider).

and their bikes always suck. a trek 470? r u sarious?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The LDS is the fastest growing religeon in the west. Of course other xtians are pissed, they are muscling in on their $$$.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The LDS is the fastest growing religeon in the west. Of course other xtians are pissed, they are muscling in on their $$$.
as far as the title of fastest growing church goes, those numbers are a bit inflated. the missionaries go out into the field & get a profession of faith, which translates into a 'member'. more often than not, this is some 3rd world person who is likely unemployed & will flippantly claim allegiance with the expectation of near-term assistance. the 20% retention rate speaks to this. of course, this also means the church is not going to see very much coin. how they get the cash is mainly through american members, who must open their books under the guise of having the church prepare their taxes for free. this way, they can more potently leverage their authority to get paid.

nifty, huh?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
if i, for whatever reason, suddenly had to become a christian, i think i'd be either a mormon or a cathloic... or maybe a jew*.

* :p

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
it makes perfect sense that evangelicals would be the most concerned group: they take the topic of religion very seriously (to the point of expanding their biblical knowledge until they die), and take umbrage to what is widely believed to be a cult "muscling in on their territory" (distorting the message of christianity).
Oh, bull****. Most evangelicals don't know **** all about the bible, and you know it.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Oh, bull****. Most evangelicals don't know **** all about the bible, and you know it.
hence, a lifetime of studying it.

curious, how you think you'd do against phelps in bible jeopardy? i'd pay a nickel to see that.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
hence, a lifetime of studying it.

curious, how you think you'd do against phelps in bible jeopardy? i'd pay a nickel to see that.
Unless the final jeopardy question was "Fags" I think I'd do quite well.

Keep in mind my religious background is much more doctrine focused than an evangelical's approach.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
If you had to choose a religion with a prophet named Moses, Ezekiel, Gautama Buddha, Mohammed, or Joe Smith Jr, which would you pick?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Mormons outside of Utah don't really understand how the rest of the country perceives them.

Tying into that, most Momos from out of state I know are pretty chill, the ones who're raised here are pretty frigging whacky.

Read a few histories of the church, both the ultra-watered-down versions published by the church and sanctioned authors, and those written by those outside the faith/"renegades" (John Krakauer and Juanita Brooks come to mind). That should give most a more definitive look at how/why/what of the Mormons. Their history is quite fascinating.

Stinkle, your knowledge is deeply flawed. Debating doctrine and theology between religions is flat out retarded, especially considering the very high likelihood of them all being quite wrong. Needless to say, evangelicals scare me a whole helluva lot more than Mormons.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Mormons outside of Utah don't really understand how the rest of the country perceives them.
are you saying that those in utah do understand the heavy skepticism, all the while in their protective bubble? i'm not refuting it, just curious.
Read a few histories of the church, both the ultra-watered-down versions published by the church and sanctioned authors, and those written by those outside the faith/"renegades" (John Krakauer and Juanita Brooks come to mind). That should give most a more definitive look at how/why/what of the Mormons. Their history is quite fascinating.
which i've done...
Stinkle, your knowledge is deeply flawed.
what in particular is 'deeply' flawed? you participate in perpetuating mistruths when you refuse an opportunity to make clear
Debating doctrine and theology between religions is flat out retarded especially considering the very high likelihood of them all being quite wrong.
so what's "right"? and based upon what? when you use terms like "likelihood", this connotes measurements, empirical data, etc., which aren't very accessible on the topic of God. you know the saying, "you can't prove a negative". i think between the two of us, we can muster just enough wisdom to avoid having a silly time-wasting debate on theology. part of the reason i view scientology & the lds church as cults is due to my exposure early in life to both of those (thankfully brief). the other part is due to research, using their own texts. in fact, i still have teh b.o.m. & dianetics on my shelf. d&c and p.o.g.p. have eluded my collection, however.
Needless to say, evangelicals scare me a whole helluva lot more than Mormons.
don't fear the reaper.