Quantcast

Those who have had bikes stole who paid?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just had a question for those monkeys that unfortunately had their bikes stolen. Seems like this is the theme of the summer at alot of the big resorts. I am heading to snowshoe this evening.... and even though i bought the Kryptonite NYC lock, i was wondering how or if you guys got insurance money for your stolen rigs? Or did you just have eat the cost?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I've been really fortunate not have a bike stolen, but I do know a bit about insurance.

Essentially, it depends on your insurance policy and where your bike was stolen. If It is was taken from your house or apartment, then homeowners' insurance or renters' insurance would pay for it. However, if it was taken out of, say, the back of your truck, that would be a hard one to get covered by your auto insurance.

My suggestion, don't let your bike out of your sight. If you are going to leave it in your hotel room/condo, I would lock it up to be safe...

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
blt2ride said:
I've been really fortunate not have a bike stolen, but I do know a bit about insurance.

Essentially, it depends on your insurance policy and where your bike was stolen. If It is was taken from your house or apartment, then homeowners' insurance or renters' insurance would pay for it. However, if it was taken out of, say, the back of your truck, that would be a hard one to get covered by your auto insurance.

My suggestion, don't let your bike out of your sight. If you are going to leave it in your hotel room/condo, I would lock it up to be safe...
Homeowners insurance (and I'm pretty sure renters insurance, at least Allstate's) will cover bikes stolen from places other than your residence, for example your vehicle, as long as you have informed the insurance company that you own and travel with an expensive bike when you aquired the policy.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
homeowner's insurance. even though it was stolen outside my old office. check your policy and make sure that it's replacement value instead of depreciated value or you won't get much.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
DH Diva said:
Homeowners insurance (and I'm pretty sure renters insurance, at least Allstate's) will cover bikes stolen from places other than your residence, for example your vehicle, as long as you have informed the insurance company that you own and travel with an expensive bike when you aquired the policy.
My renters insurance policy will cover the bikes if they are stolen from places other than my residence. I did have to notify them that I travel with my bikes when I purchased the policy.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
BussaFrame said:
I did have to notify them that I travel with my bikes when I purchased the policy.
That's the key! My insurance agent wanted a picture of each bike and seriel number and retail value list of all our bikes. When we get a new one or sell one, we just send her an updated list. That way when you call and say "My $6000 mountain bike got jacked while I was in the middle of nowhere utah!!" she says, "Okay here's your check."

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I've been thinking about getting renters insurance for this very reason. I know you guys aren't insurance agents, but whats a round about cost? I live in a small one bedroom apartment and my bike and computer would be my most expensive items. It's rather funny. I've created this secret sort of "hidden" space that I put my bike in at home. When I get home I still hold my breath expecting to see my pride and joy stolen.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DH Diva said:
That's the key! My insurance agent wanted a picture of each bike and seriel number and retail value list of all our bikes. When we get a new one or sell one, we just send her an updated list. That way when you call and say "My $6000 mountain bike got jacked while I was in the middle of nowhere utah!!" she says, "Okay here's your check."
"Oh, and by the way, here's your policy increase, too."

Damn insurance companies. :mad:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ncrider said:
I've been thinking about getting renters insurance for this very reason. I know you guys aren't insurance agents, but whats a round about cost? I live in a small one bedroom apartment and my bike and computer would be my most expensive items. It's rather funny. I've created this secret sort of "hidden" space that I put my bike in at home. When I get home I still hold my breath expecting to see my pride and joy stolen.
I had renters insurance before my home owners from the same company. My bikes were the primary concern. I had about $40,000 worth of renters insurance and it only cost about $10 a month. That was about 4 years ago though. I can't imagine it has gone up that much though in 4 years. It's well worth it!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
"Oh, and by the way, here's your policy increase, too."

Damn insurance companies. :mad:
Actually, my policy didn't really increase by anything noticable. I think in the end it made a difference of about $20 at the end of the year.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. Usually one claim will not do much.

Make two, though. :mad:
How close together were the claims?? I bet that makes a difference too. How much did your policy go up?? Don't bike thieves suck??

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
DH Diva said:
How close together were the claims?? I bet that makes a difference too. How much did your policy go up?? Don't bike thieves suck??
My claims were about 2 years apart. One bike, one roof. Of course, *I* ran my bike into the garage. :mumble:

I'm sure bike thieves suck, though. :D

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
My claims were about 2 years apart. One bike, one roof. Of course, *I* ran my bike into the garage. :mumble:

I'm sure bike thieves suck, though. :D
A-Ha! Yeah, running the racked bike into things always hurts the pride a little huh? Please don't say the word roof again. I'm re-roofing my garage in a couple weeks, and the house in a couple years. I don't want to think about the word roof until I absolutely have to!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so you guys are saying that if i DONT inform my insurance company that i do travel with $$$ bikes, and one did get stolen, i might have trouble getting the cash?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
manhattanprjkt83 said:
so you guys are saying that if i DONT inform my insurance company that i do travel with $$$ bikes, and one did get stolen, i might have trouble getting the cash?
Read your insurance policy. You might not get Jack Squat. It's *your* responsibility to know what they'll cover.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
manhattanprjkt83 said:
My agent seemed to be implying that you would have to jump through way more hoops to prove you owned it and get money for it. High dollar bikes go into a category mainly for uncommonly expensive items. Everybody knows a diamond ring cost a lot of $$ but how many people still gasp at how much a DH bike costs. Letting them know in advance will also really speed up the process because they already have proof you own it and a seriel number.

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
I have about $50K in renter's insurance and it costs about $250 year. With replacement cost you almost hope someone will break in and steal your stuff. "I got the TV for free, but hell, a new one would be a couple hundred bucks.." :devil:

I made sure to tell them I own an expensive bike and specifically asked to be sure it would be covered if it was jacked from my truck.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I just had a question for those monkeys that unfortunately had their bikes stolen. Seems like this is the theme of the summer at alot of the big resorts. I am heading to snowshoe this evening.... and even though i bought the Kryptonite NYC lock, i was wondering how or if you guys got insurance money for your stolen rigs? Or did you just have eat the cost?
I had my bike stolen this school year from the bike cage under my aptartment (it was quite the caper, caught on film and all that). Fortunatly, I am still considered a dependant under my parent's homeowner's insurance, and I got nearly the whole price of the bike back, though it was the first claim on the insurance in 25 years. I used the money to upgrade to my SGS.
The problem (and this is from a cop who bikes) is that most cops/ detectives don't know the difference between a Huffy and an RM-7. They don't know that people will go as far as to forego a car in order to get a bike. On the other hand, insurance does know this and will reimburse most of the money.