Quantcast

Thoughts? .45 Compact

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Currently debating amongst .45 ACP pistols and have more or less narrowed it down to a Glock 30 or a Sig P220 compact. The obvious advantage is 10+1 vs 6+1, however I hope to not be in the situation to need 10+1. Both shoot well and have good hand feel, both are roughly the same size as the current G19 and I can get both for similar prices. I'm looking for opinions and other options, but I'm open to other opinions as well, nor am I not entirely against 10mm. Go.

EDIT: I should probably add, uses would include a bear gun (either backpacking trips or secondary to a long gun on hunting trips), general plinking (though pricey), oh and "home defense."

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
check out a glock 27, hear me out

the 27 comes in 40sw and is a tad smaller than the 30. but here is the deal, you can buy a barsto drop in barrel in .357sig that will flat outshoot any caliber and be much better "bear gun" than anything. although a handgun round that small isnt the best for bears it will still be better than nothing.

check out the ballistics on the 357sig, you will be very surprised. also you will now have a gun that is two calibers with just the swap of a barrel. the mags work on both rounds.

when it comes to conceal carry and when packing a semi auto I always pack the 357sig round. in th eglock 23 it is a 100 yard round.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I prefer the feel of the Sig P220 compact (hate the feel of polymers, so I'm kinda biased), but you can't argue with 4 extra rounds especially in an emergency situation.

The .357sig is no joke so I think GFF (as usual) is on point with this one.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
It would appear that .357sig is a hotter round with better penetration and has a comparable, however penetration isn't the only concern as some agencies have abandoned 10m due to OVER penetration. The biggest concern I have is availability of rounds as it seems to have fallen out of favor locally and seems to be slightly more expensive than .45 from several retailers as well. Alleviate my concerns.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
check out a glock 27, hear me out

the 27 comes in 40sw and is a tad smaller than the 30. but here is the deal, you can buy a barsto drop in barrel in .357sig that will flat outshoot any caliber and be much better "bear gun" than anything. although a handgun round that small isnt the best for bears it will still be better than nothing.

check out the ballistics on the 357sig, you will be very surprised. also you will now have a gun that is two calibers with just the swap of a barrel. the mags work on both rounds.

when it comes to conceal carry and when packing a semi auto I always pack the 357sig round. in th eglock 23 it is a 100 yard round.
What he said. Check out a 23 too, it's a "compact" version, it fits great in most peoples hands. It still fits 10 round mag, 13 if you don't live in CA.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Can someone please explain the 357sig hype to me? Is it like the 29er? Or more like our bike industry obsession with creating new axle standards? I get it if you are shooting through windshields or are a police officer but outside of that, please help.

I guess in a compact i can see it being more firepower...

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Can someone please explain the 357sig hype to me? Is it like the 29er? Or more like our bike industry obsession with creating new axle standards? I get it if you are shooting through windshields or are a police officer but outside of that, please help.

I guess in a compact i can see it being more firepower...
Hit's like a 357 mag, kicks like a 40. You can also interchange to a 40 and save loads on ammo practicing with the same gun

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So what would be the minimum you would consider to be an adequate bear gun?
357Mag?
44?
44 Mag?
50?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
So what would be the minimum you would consider to be an adequate bear gun?
357Mag?
44?
44 Mag?
50?

well .357mag and standard .44 special will just piss it off. You'd need a headshot or a perfect one to the heart to down an adult bear.

I'd say to be safe:
.44mag
.454 casull
.480 ruger
.500 s&w