Quantcast

Thoughts on 2023 yt Capra core 3 xxl

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
2023 XXL YT Capra core 3 decent spec AXS drive train.w

Buddy has one like new no ride time and wants to work a deal.

I am looking for a more trail bike Enduro that's playful for when wife and I ride .but still be able to hammer down if I get an urge...

The hightower LT I had was awesome but got it's butt handed to it last summer...but that's what I mean, we went to ride mellow and silver mountain was close so we went and rode all the black tech and hot mess...(Bike did really well considering)..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yes I have a slash gen 6..
This popped up and it's a damn good deal but want to know what to expect or even if I want to get it...

I had one it was too small I picked it up to flip in a deal...didnt ride it a lot, I wasn't interested in keeping it. it was a large...

This one is a XXL...

So what I see is conflicting..some reviews say progressive, doesn't like to bottom out chatters in chunk..decent trail/Enduro not great

Other says handles good amount of DH, doesn't pedal real well but supple..

I have no real time on one in nasty stuff and beating on...both reviews do address it as playfully which is a bonus

Goal: trail/Enduro, playfully and able to soak up some stuff (not full blown DH) , pedal good, more trail bike riding less DH heavy Enduro feel..

Want to ride with wife at more all trail spots and be able to send it if I see something.

My slash is amazing 70% dh 30% climbing but not what I'd call a trail Enduro bike for the lighter stuff...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Oooo I returned my order for new o-chains that are even more confusing in name then the first ones...

(Crickets, waiting for Woo!!!!) Kidding I love ya man!!!ni but really I'm waiting to see if the wooniverse will let you know that O-chain has been mentioned....

Plus swapping cranks to Canfield 155 on DH and 160 on slash.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The only real con is that it's an XXL bike.

If you don't like it, it might be a but harder to dump that sized bike without taking much of a loss.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How tall are you? in XXL it's not going to be very playful unless you're really fucking tall.
I'm just a smidge under 6ft in bare feet and have briefly ridden L and XL gen3 Capras in 29. XL is a size up from what I'd usually be on a size chart but was still totally rideable for Enduro... Super stable but not really playful at all. L was far more playful. But if I wanted one myself as a playful bike I'd actually size down to a M.
They are progressive. Not quite as much as my old 2017 Capra. But still enough that getting sag just right is pretty crucial to how they ride and how they pedal. Too much sag and they give a shit ton of small bump comfort but wallow when pedalled/sprinted... Undersagged they lose small bump comfort but become super poppy/playful and NEVER bottom out. The latter being my preference. And that sort of set up also happens to work really well for tamer more pedally riding. And riding with someone slower (ie GF) but still wanting to pop off shit and pull mannies etc to keep yourself amused. Especially if following. They're also reasonably light for a modern long travel 29 derp/trail bike which also helps with playfulness
For DH capability it should work really well with a coil shock. And should be a super quick swap if you wanted the best of both worlds. Tons of folk ran the older slightly more progressive Capras with coils and loved 'em.
I get the feeling a lot of the folk who complain about Capras either not pedalling well or being too harsh probably haven't figured out just how important getting shock pressure spot on on them can be.
One other thing to consider if you're really tall and used to a modern steep seat angle you might find your arse a little too far back seated. (Not an issue for me at all. Infact I still like more of an OG seat angle. Especially anywhere flatter).
If it's a buddy's surely you can try before you buy and find out for yourself with a couple of proper rides?

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks @Gary that's what I'm looking for .

Setting it up and characteristics of it...I'll tell him to bring it over today....I can see your point on these and that's good enough for me... appreciate it...

Yeah it's 507mm I'm 6'3 (almost) 245lbs when I wake so progressive may be good but coil is undoubtedly where I'll go ...

I understand it's size will limit selling point that's part of the reason I want to be sure or have a better handle on it instead of being tied up $ in something sitting here not making me happy...

Doesn't work on all things , told the wife she was pissing me off and she gave me the middle finger laughed and said tough shit. 25 years now and we are "ride or die" ....God I love that woman...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That was a quick test ride!
For the price and him on call it was just easier to grab it...I can see what I need to set off what you suggested and can mess with it.

What sag on rear?
I know theirs the general rule of thumb but I have had a couple bikes I sat just out of the curve for better DH handling and others I've put shy of the mark to give it a better platform for me

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What brakes are on it?
Has code, but I'll be switching them out shortly...
They work great with motul rf600 fluid, galfer 2mm rotors and galfer pads (green rear purple front)

I've ran these before during park season and in some nasty trails with zero fault...worked flawless...but I'm going for either color or finish off a black and greyish silver theme...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
When I saw the first pic, I was going to reply with "what are you doing with that RS nonsense?!"... then I scrolled down further.
So the ultimate supreme super deluxe superflantastical Willy Wonka of a shocka shock (whatever the multi name they call it) works pretty well. It's actually a pretty damn good shock.....I rode.it around between rain storms today around here and was a lot better than fox...messed with settings and dials...it just works...
That said I'd rock a rockshox before a fox..
But I slapped Ohlins on it ..cause I'd run that first.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Put miles and a crap ton of elevation in as well as some nasty rocky single track and chunk..
Bike pedals well, has some walking on chatter (high speed tuning issue), hits corners and bigger hits really well ..this was more all mountain with some technical chutes and really loose doll head rocks.
.bikes is a crap ton of fun and very well rounded . We punched out 10 miles out and up, and then repeated back really fast

Sylvesters for burgers Everytime we are in San Luis Obispo..

20240407_115950.jpg
20240407_132617.jpg

20240407_112550.jpg

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Put miles and a crap ton of elevation in as well as some nasty rocky single track and chunk..
Bike pedals well, has some walking on chatter (high speed tuning issue), hits corners and bigger hits really well ..this was more all mountain with some technical chutes and really loose doll head rocks.
.bikes is a crap ton of fun and very well rounded . We punched out 10 miles out and up, and then repeated back really fast

Sylvesters for burgers Everytime we are in San Luis Obispo..
Exactly my thoughts on my Alu Capra 2023. Ohlins works really well with it.

By the way you aren't looking for any more wives? ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Exactly my thoughts on my Alu Capra 2023. Ohlins works really well with it.

By the way you aren't looking for any more wives? ;)

What are your takeaways and thoughts on bike..pro's con's??

I did mullet the 29r , it has a slightly longer chainstay so it gains some stability over the MX..also contemplating upping fork to 180 to slightly slacken it more if I think it lacks in some steep chutes and drops...

I had the purple Capra alloy Ohlins edition (was too small) got it in a deal..that's what started this..great set up.

I did keep the gx axs (was on it) and wasn't for it before this due to destroying der.s in past but it was there and it really works well...swapped most of bike over to my preferences and yeah they ride really well.

Going to open high speed tune up to allow better handling in chatter (just enough to take the tips off hits in shark teeth) but support hard hits..but no real complaints , my son has an alloy one he broke the rear and has a new one on the way.

It's on the bike now he's riding it till it grenades then the new one will go on..

Lol yeah I thought about donating my wife a time or two...lmao

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What are your takeaways and thoughts on bike..pro's con's??

I did mullet the 29r , it has a slightly longer chainstay so it gains some stability over the MX..also contemplating upping fork to 180 to slightly slacken it more if I think it lacks in some steep chutes and drops...

I had the purple Capra alloy Ohlins edition (was too small) got it in a deal..that's what started this..great set up.

I did keep the gx axs (was on it) and wasn't for it before this due to destroying der.s in past but it was there and it really works well...swapped most of bike over to my preferences and yeah they ride really well.

Going to open high speed tune up to allow better handling in chatter (just enough to take the tips off hits in shark teeth) but support hard hits..but no real complaints , my son has an alloy one he broke the rear and has a new one on the way.

It's on the bike now he's riding it till it grenades then the new one will go on..

Lol yeah I thought about donating my wife a time or two...lmao
I have exactly the Capra you mention was too small for you. The cons are it is not a plow bike and it feels like it has less travel than it does with how progressive it is but it's a fun bike for people who don't want to pretend their enduro bike isn't an uphilable DH bike. I like how it's relatively nimble without weird geometry quirks I found on some other bikes. It doesn't really have anything that makes it stand out from other bikes but that's good. Instead of going for gimmicks it just does its job well. As long as someone is content with sacrificing some plow for a bike that is just at home hooning around they will be happy.

Now I only need to finally change the code R brakes it came with. I know I was planning to buy them earlier last year but I wanted promotions at work so I had no time to focus on bike stuff. Will get something soon.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Do you notice a quality dropoff in the past 10 years or so there? I haven't eaten at the Los Osos one in about 15 years now.
No, not at all.
I like it they use hearst beef still so farm to table type and always good .

Maybe a little sloppier lol and messy..but never a bad ingredient....

Main guy has been there for a long time , we did get a not so good burger one time but it was a new guy in back haven't seen him since that visit and been there a ton of times..

Burgers are still sloppy as hell lol the heart attack should always come with a paper towel roll for it alone...so good...

Paseo Robles is on par as well just a lot nicer establishment, but Andrea and I have 12+ years at Los osos stand..

Still have yet to do the challenge lol...

Ginos pizza kicks @$$ in SLO town...(Ginos special)
Huckleberry's in pismo the pancakes kick @$$
Franks hot dogs in SLO town
Champagne cake at Madonna inn
There's a sandwich shop at end of Monterey Street by freeway south end of town, amazing sandwiches...

Full disclosure, NO I wasn't starving Everytime I ate at these places...we are hiking biking and trail running the whole time so we are not always starved...but we go in with a good appetite

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
There's a sandwich shop at end of Monterey Street by freeway south end of town, amazing sandwiches...

Full disclosure, NO I wasn't starving Everytime I ate at these places...we are hiking biking and trail running the whole time so we are not always starved...but we go in with a good appetite

High Street Deli

The Range
My Friend Mikes Pizza (online and pick up only)
Pier 46 (Super Good Fish Tacos)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
High Street Deli

The Range
My Friend Mikes Pizza (online and pick up only)
Pier 46 (Super Good Fish Tacos)
Good hearing on fish tacos , Andrea and I went to pismo and hopong it would be good.. nope..being from Seattle I love fish and chips ..it was total CRAP..don't expect amazing but good beer battered fries and a good cut of fish fried right ..

We do Ivar's on the water in Seattle and have a few other spots that's locals only... appreciate the 411 on food . We will check those out for sure....

Wife just said she's pumped to try another fish and chip place.. appreciates it.