Quantcast

Thoughts on a Heckler as a trailbike?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I wasn't sure where to post this as I would catagorize my riding style as either XC or FR. More "aggressive XC" I guess...a few drops, jumps thrown in. Anyway, a recent ride on a friends bike has peaked my interest in the Santa Cruz Heckler. I liked the ride a lot and the price is right, but question how light I could get one down to. I hoping to get it sub 30lbs. Is this realistic? Any Heckler owners out there want to chime in?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Here's the heckler thread over at MTBR. I've never gone through the whole thing, bit it looks like a few guys on the first page are around the 30-32 lb range.

I have one and I :love: it. I got rid of my jumper HT and my Kona Unit to build one up for a more all around type bike. I pedal it on the long XC rides and jump it off most of the same stuff my DH bike jumps off. I couldn't be happier - it sees more saddle time than my Unit and my Toy combined.
Mine:
DHX5 coil
36 talas
Pig DH headset
34-24 chainrings w/ bash guard
RF NS Cranks / BB
11-32 deore cassette
Purple Hayes
On-One Reetard stem
Roox Torque bar
RF seatpost
Spec Saddle
721/521 rims
formula hubs
Kenda Nevegal 2.3's F/R
specialized dh tubes (they barely fit. I should probably change them out)

Nothing light, but my bicep-o-meter tells me it's in the 36-38lb range.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
You can get it down under $30lbs, but it'll cost you a pretty penny to do it. TrailMaker over on Cycle-CNY has one. I'm not sure how hard he rides, but he's a big dude... so even a gentle ride on a fire road is hard on his bike.

Do a search in the lounge for intigator's comparison of the 575 and the Heckler. It was probably a year ago now... but it was pretty thorough.

I'd say a heckler would be a great "aggressive xc" ride.

FWIW... the current issue of MBA has a feature on a $1500 Heckler as the best trail bike for the money. I can scan the article, if you're interested.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jacksonpt said:
FWIW... the current issue of MBA has a feature on a $1500 Heckler as the best trail bike for the money. I can scan the article, if you're interested.
Yeah, I was reading that last ngiht as well. Just added more fuel to my fire. As you know, I've been dreaming of a Moto-Lite for over a year now, but reality has set in, and financially I can't see it happening anytime in the near future. :(

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
SilentJ said:
Nothing light, but my bicep-o-meter tells me it's in the 36-38lb range.
Thanks for the info., that sounds like a sweet build! I have a Kona Dawg right now that is built up beefy like that, and that's what I'm trying to get away from. Looking for something that can handle a 3'-4' drop one day, and be raced 24-hours the next. Oh, and can be had for under $2k.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love my heckler. I also describe my trail riding as "agressive xc." I have one of the first of the new generation hecklers and right now it is my favorite bike. Thirty pounds is definitely doable, it just depends on how "aggressive" you need to be, what shock you run, and how much money you want to spend. Personally I like a through axle fork and slightly beefier wheels/tires, so mine is over 30.

Running a DHX Air, Pike dual air, xt cranks (22-36-bash), king hubs, various rubber, avid brakes, gravity dropper, nothing special drivetrain, a heavy stem and a DH bar, here's a pic:

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
jacksonpt said:
I would be interested in reading that if it isn't to much trouble.

I don't think under 30lbs is out of the question but like others have said it will cost you.

My 05 Small Heckler weighs 32 lbs.
Fox Float R shock
04 Marzocchi Z1 FR
Mavic Crossland wheelset
2.1 WTB Weirwolf
Presta tubes
Avid BB7 Mech disc
Answer Protaper 2" bars
Generic (Koski) Stem (90mm)
Titec XC seatpost
Sella Italia Nitrous saddle
Sram X7 shifters/R.derrailer
LX Front derailleur
MRP LRP Chainguide
Bontrager Race cranks
Eggbeater Chrome Pedals
Middle of the line sram chain and cassette.

As you can see, nothing is very lightweight and i definitely could save over a pound by swapping the fork. I raced this setup at the Off road assault on Mt Mitchell. (64 miles and 11,000 ft of climbing) and although not ideal i survived and felt pretty good. For Shuttles at Snowshoe and more DH type stuff i slap on my Fox DHX 5.0, Race Face Diablos Stem and Sunn Singletrack Wheelset w/ Highrollers. Very versatile bike.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Booker said:
I would be interested in reading that if it isn't to much trouble.
No trouble at all - I just have to remember to bring the article into work. If I don't post it tomorrow, don't hestitate to PM me a reminder.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
McGRP01 said:
Thanks Jackson. I remember that thread and look forward to re-reading it. Especially since the 575 intrigues me as well. :thumb:
ooh, go 575 for sure. A bit pricier than the heckler, but a far better bike. And no, I'm not biased at all ;)

How tall are you? If we could find a way to get together, I'd be more than happy to let you take mine through the ringer.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jacksonpt said:
ooh, go 575 for sure. A bit pricier than the heckler, but a far better bike. And no, I'm not biased at all ;)

How tall are you? If we could find a way to get together, I'd be more than happy to let you take mine through the ringer.
5'8.5"ish ;) 175ish lbs.... If Sq-Earl ever gets his fixed, I'm hoping to take it for a spin.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
jacksonpt said:
No trouble at all - I just have to remember to bring the article into work. If I don't post it tomorrow, don't hestitate to PM me a reminder.
Thanks. As for the 575, my buddy rode his during the same race (Mt. Mitchell). I would much rather had been on the 575 for the race (his weighs 28lbs and has the carbon chainstay upgrade) Very nice bike, but quite a bit more money.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
McGRP01 said:
Thanks Jackson. I remember that thread and look forward to re-reading it. Especially since the 575 intrigues me as well. :thumb:

[spam] I might be interested in finding a new home for my 575 ;) [/spam]

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
McGRP01 said:
Tigg - isn't the 575 almost the same price as a motolite though?

And a Heckler would suit your needs real fine.

Or do like the Bikerag guys do around here - buy a Bullit, slap an air shock on it and make up the pound or so in weight differences between the two frames and ride the Bullit as a Bull-lite. Gives you a higher bottom bracket and more travel and still a very versatile frame that can do a little bit of everything.

PM Tonyhawk for the scoop on this concept around these parts.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
You can get it down under $30lbs, but it'll cost you a pretty penny to do it. TrailMaker over on Cycle-CNY has one. I'm not sure how hard he rides, but he's a big dude... so even a gentle ride on a fire road is hard on his bike.

Do a search in the lounge for intigator's comparison of the 575 and the Heckler. It was probably a year ago now... but it was pretty thorough.

I'd say a heckler would be a great "aggressive xc" ride.

$1,500 for a complete Heckler - that's a screamin deal!!!

Crap a Motolite frame alone is over $1,300 and that's just for the frame, I'd say the same goes for the 575 too.

How was that $1,500 Heckler spec'd out??? :think:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tigg - I'm all about the imaginary bike stage right now in my life. I just pray before every ride I take that I don't taco one of my Bontrager Race wheels on my Surly because if I do I'm screwed as I can't even afford to replace a wheel these days. :dead:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
Tigg - I'm all about the imaginary bike stage right now in my life. I just pray before every ride I take that I don't taco one of my Bontrager Race wheels on my Surly because if I do I'm screwed as I can't even afford to replace a wheel these days. :dead:
Right on... Truth be told, I'll probably be stuck with the Dawg until it crumbles into dust. But it's fun to dream.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Like McG said, I was able to drop about 8 lbs off my Bullit (now the Bul-lite :) ) by swapping the 5th E coil for a Swinger Air (couldn't afford a DHX air), the Super T for an All Mtn 2 (half air, half coil), and the Bombshell Fatboy's (with Kinetic 2.6's) for Bontragers (with Onyx hubs, Nevegal 2.3's and xc tubes). Without trying too hard, it's in the 34-35 lb range.

I could go all out and get a lighter stem, handlbars, saddle and drivetrain to save more weight and get closer to 31-32, but those last couple just aren't worth it to me. I just carry less stuff in my camelbak instead.

That said, I see no reason why you couldn't get a Heckler down around 30. I believe the frame is about a pound lighter than the Bullit.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
My Heckler is fairly light weight, probably about 34 lbs. By no means is it built as a light weight, and it still retains exgtremely good pedaling ability. Here is the build:

Frame: 05 small with 5th element
Fork: 05 Sherman Flick Plus
Wheels: Mavic EX325s on Abbah hubs
Brakes: Hayes 9s (Juicy 5s should be here tomorrow)
Drivetrain: X.9, Northshores (pictured with Hussefelts), MRPe.13 (not shown)
Cockpit: Thomson, Race Face
Tires: Maxxis Minion/High Roller 2.35"

Here is a picture of it:

Could easily drop some pounds with a new fork, crankset, and wheelset.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
$1,500 for a complete Heckler - that's a screamin deal!!!

*snip*

How was that $1,500 Heckler spec'd out??? :think:
Actual price was $1584.

RS Tora fork
Fox Float shock
Deore hubs, Mavic 317 rims, Nevegals
Deore Disks
Deore shifters, f/der, XT r/der
etc etc etc

32.5lbs

I would think it would be fairly easy/inexpensive to drop some weight off that. Not sure he could get under 30lbs with the $500 left in his budget, but could probably get pretty close

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
Actual price was $1584.

RS Tora fork
Fox Float shock
Deore hubs, Mavic 317 rims, Nevegals
Deore Disks
Deore shifters, f/der, XT r/der
etc etc etc

32.5lbs

I would think it would be fairly easy/inexpensive to drop some weight off that. Not sure he could get under 30lbs with the $500 left in his budget, but could probably get pretty close
Lose the Tora for something different right at time of purchase and you'd have a killer ride right there.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MMcG said:
Lose the Tora for something different right at time of purchase and you'd have a killer ride right there.
Yep, save a few more bucks and get something different right away. The Tora is a POS and will have a huge effect on your ride. Maybe look around for a deal on an '05 fox or a pike or something.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If Santacrux lowered the BB by about .5" the Heckler would be the awesomest trailbike around IMO. I was thinking about getting one as a trail/4x bike back before Sinister, but the only thing that kept me away was how high the BB is. A Cannondale Prophet would be my first choice for a non-Sinister trailbike.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
My 04 weighs about 31 lbs and i could easily drop it below 28 w/ new wheels. But its for sale so check it out :P

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
OGRipper said:
Yep, save a few more bucks and get something different right away. The Tora is a POS and will have a huge effect on your ride. Maybe look around for a deal on an '05 fox or a pike or something.
What's wrong with the Tora? I'd always heard they were just heavy steel Rebas...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
yeah i read that MBFiction article on the Heckler. the problem with the extremely budget build kit on that bike is that pretty soon you'll be replacing most of it.

here's a different idea: the mongoose Teocali Super. Pike Air fork, sweet wheelset (sun ringle hubs rather than 10 dollar deore hubs), avid hydraulics, etc. I've seen many complete bikes in the 3.5 to 4 k range with the same quality build kit.

i've ridden the Teocali Super. in terms of weight, pedalling efficiency, overall abilities I'd rank it as the closest thing on the market to my pimped-out Yeti 575. another similar bike would be the Blur LT.

anyway, Mongoose is pricing their bikes VERY low to get people to consider them after all these years. you can get the Teocali Super for 1800 to 1900 bucks depending on the shop; it's a bit less than 30 lbs even with 'real' tires (kenda 2.35). The difference in component quality (e.g. the crankset, wheels, fork, brakes) between that and the el budget Heckler is massive...that heckler build has crap components, the teocali is mostly top-of-the-line...but the price difference is just 300 bucks or so.

so, bottom line: is the HEckler a great deal? yes and no. If you already have parts and just need a frame, the Heckler is a great value these days. But as a complete bike, it can't compete with some of the megabrand complete bikes.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
SuspectDevice said:
If Santacrux lowered the BB by about .5" the Heckler would be the awesomest trailbike around IMO.
For some reason I missed this thread. In my experience the BB is plenty low when properly sagged. One of my minor gripes with my Heckler is pedal strikes on really rocky trails. Sure I can adjust, but sometimes I get caught off guard. I've never been pitched OTB or anything from a strike, but I have to be cognizant of where my pedals are when riding up and down the rocky chutes we have on our better trails around here.

I just got back from the "thursday night ride" a bit ago. As I was riding to the house I was thinking about how much I really do enjoy my bike. The Heckler makes a most excellent trailbike IMHO. I was tempted to go 29er at the start of the season and at this point I'm glad I didn't, I like my bike too much to replace it right now.

My spec is as follows and I guesstimate the weight to be 30ish...

"02" Med Heckler with 05 Float R (2" stroke for 5" travel). 5th E. as backup
Vanilla RLC 130
King Headset with Ventana 4mm crown.
Thomson Post
SST2K Saddle
Thomson X4 stem
Answer carbon OS Protapers (cut down 2")
Salsa Lock-ons
Hope M4 180mm Front/Mini 160 Rear
King/CX-Ray/x3.1/Salsa QRs wheelset
Ignitor UST 2.35 Front/2.1 Rear (scoop of Stans each)
XT 752 Crank 22-32, Salsa Bash
ES71 BB
Candy SLs
X.9 Rear Der/Shifter pods
XT Front Der
XT 750 12-34 cassette
PC-991 chain

Here it is before I got the Float

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Interesting I was wondering the same thing about a heckler. I guess I will just have to suck it up and keep pedalling around the AC though for now.