Quantcast

Thoughts on an AC as an XC bike?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Any run a giant ac as an XC / light freeride bike? I have been thinking about it but it sounds like it might be a little too beefy for xc. If I had one I'd make sure it had a psylo or something on it instead of a sherman which is to much for for the kind of riding I do. I've also been thinking of a kona dawg or maybe a giant vt...but mainly leading toward the dawg. Any thoughts would be helpful, last thing I want is to get a bike too heavy for xc. keep in mind I'd like to used the bike for like aggressive xc and some light freeride stuff so it doesnt have to be super beefy or super light, just a nice medium of maybe like 33-34lbs somewhere around there. Thanks

jamis24

Chimp
May 26, 2004
SB, vermont
i ride a giant ac air for mostly XC and it works real nice, i jus put on a manitou minute and its perfect for me for xc, i would say it runs about 32-33 pounds. its a good bike.

Mike

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
I have an AC for my trail bike. Mines too heavy for XC but I'm not a small man and built it for light downhill and trail abuse.

I have seen some pretty light AC builds. 34lbs shouldn't be hard to achieve and it would be a good all mountain but still there's lots of better frames for XC.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I do trail rides with my AC1 and it works. I like rougher type riding, so I left the Sherman on. If I was going to ride XC with it I would ditch the Sherman and probably run a lighter crankset/BB and change the tires. I have no idea why Giant quit making these....I love my AC!!

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
Its good to see some AC fans around. The key to the light AC is the wheel set. If you get a nice light rim hub combo and slide on some light kevlar bead tires you should be ripping those XC trails up. Also you can run it in the shorter travel positions and have the rear end behave itself , even on the climbs. Long Live The AC!!! :evil:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I have an AC1 and I like it, but there is naturally quite a bit of pedal induced bob compared to NRS type designs. I bought it knowing this and I don't really dig pure 'XC' type riding which I consider to be a cousin or road riding. I prefer what I suppose people call freeride or trail riding through to DH - I like trails which are technical in the way of drops, steeps, whoops, rails and berms. The AC is a great design for this type of riding. It has medium fast handling, enough sus to take the edge off bad jits, but is pedalable enough to get uphill, albeit not quite as fast as that guy rinding a hardtail or an epic type thing.

Edit: My wheelset is 36 spoke D321s with IRC Kujos, so make of that what you will.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
i know it wont make an ideal xc rig and thats fine. What i want is a bike that i can ride aggressive xc on that can handle some drops and abuse. I've never really been too sure on the definition of trail riding, so who knows I might be looking for something to do trail riding depending how you define it. Right now I have a stumpjumper hardtail that is nice and light at around 22-23lbs but I feel when I ride it that I am aware of its limits all the time. Like I am specifically avoiding things because I am worried of destroying it. I guess I am wondering if built up lighter with maybe some diff cranks and fork if the ac will be a semi decent xc bike or should I just try and get a dawg or vt or something.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
GumbaFish said:
i know it wont make an ideal xc rig and thats fine. What i want is a bike that i can ride aggressive xc on that can handle some drops and abuse.
It totally can handle quite a bit of abuse. On the other hand, so can a lot of bikes these days. The best thing is to try and ride them, and see which one you like best.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The other thing of course is that like all bikes of it's style, if you're ever really pissed off with the pedal feedback on say a long fireroad climb, you simply reach down and crank up the compression damping to max. No more pedal bob, and you don't even have to stop.

jamis24

Chimp
May 26, 2004
SB, vermont
GumbaFish said:
thanks for the input, lemme know how the minute works out I was actually thinking of doing the same thing.
i have the 04 minute three and it is awesome, i love it. its quick and not too bad on weight either.

Mike

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I guess I am in the minority, but I couldn't stand the ride of my AC. I had it setup with a vanilla up front and the 3 way in back. The single pivot characteristics were simply too much for me to put up with--it rode great when I wasn't pedalling or braking, but that was it. The only way I could get it riding somewhat decent was to decrease the travel to ~4", which minimized the effects of the single pivot. Take me post for what it's worth, because I'm guessing my riding style is a little more xc than the guys above.

I sold it to a friend who subsequently put it on ebay after riding it for two months. I will say this though, it's still a tough deal to beat if you get a smokin deal on the frame.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
gotta admit the thought of an ac is growing on me, i think if i swapped out the tires for something a little more manageable that would shed weight right there, just the matter of me liking everything else...gonna test ride one tommorow and see if i like the fit. Although I am not going to get a new one, looks like they lost interest in this line based on the newer component spec.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just FYI, the stock wheelset on the AC is a boat anchor. The Rhyno Lites are fine, but they're 36h with straight gauge spokes, and the XT disc hub might just be the heaviest rear hub on the market.

If you shed that wheelset & tires for something lighter, put some 6" rotors on there, or at least a 6" in the back, and then you could slowly swap out components as you had money - that'd make a pretty good rig, and you'd have some burlier components around if you got more aggressive on it. The crankset on both the AC2 and AC1 is one big solid hunk of Al so they're pretty heavy as well. I slapped a set of XT cranks on mine first thing.

Great bike, though, I rode mine for a while before deciding a burly hardtail was more practical. The geometry was solid, the fit was nice (I'm 5'9" with normal proportions, and like my bikes small - the 17" was perfect) and the bang for the buck was neigh unbeatable.

There's so many good 5" lighter weight trail bikes on the market, though, that can easily handle small drops and aggressive riding - the AC is a heavy stock bike, why not look into, as Mark said, something like a VT?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A local shop near me has two leftover VT3s I think they are - well spec'd bikes for like a grand each.

Maybe a shop near you has something similar left over.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Nah there arent any leftover near me. the problem is getting ahold of a vt, since they are a newer line its hard to find used ones and I don't have the cash to buy a new one.

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I had 2 AC's . My first was stolen at Pedro fest. The insurance paid for another one. In my opinion the bike is a "do all" bike. My first one I rode mostly trails. My new one I have setup as a DH bike. You just can't deny the strength of the frame. The bike has been downgraded since the onset of the maestro suspension design that giant has come up with. But the good thing is that you can get the complete bike for a grand, and the frame is the same as last year. I rode mine for 2 years DH and the pivots are still nice and tight. Hey ,for xc run it in the 5 inch setting to reduce pedal bob. And with a later upgrade in shock the bike will pedal great. Before I removed it I ran the swinger 4 way on mine and it made the bike pedal and climb great, as long as I didn't stand up. So yeah lighten up the wheels and you'll have a great do everything bike.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah i figured i would just run it in the 5.5 setting and it shouldn't be too much to handle. I've got 2 potential ones I am looking at so I should have some more feedback once I ride them a little.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
ended up actually getting an 03 ac2 and i am running it on the 5.3 in the rear instead of 6.5. I still have some heavy 2.3 tires on it but I think I will switch to 2.25 or maybe even 2.1 depending on what kind of tire I decide to get. It actually works pretty good as an xc bike for the kind of riding I have near me. I mean it doesn't compare in any way to my light hardtail especially on climbs (i'm also giving flats a try which doesn't help my cause). But I am having much more fun on the trails then I ever did on my hardtail. I am bombing over stuff and hitting stuff I never cleared before. I also find myself taking different lines to seek out drops and jumps that I avoided on purpose on my hardtail. I think the extra confidence I have already gained on just 3 or 4 rides is worth the weight penalty...What a diff from a light weight xc hardtail with v brakes to a dual sus with hydro disc brakes. Plus maybe I'll get in better shape lugging all that extra weight around :thumb:

outdoornut

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
Looks like you've received alot of advise. I ride a 2005 AC. The only thing I changed so far was to put heavier springs on it. I do most aggressive XC however have done some downhill with a few nice drops. The AC is perfect for the way I ride. It weights in at 32 lbs which I don't believe it bad for an All Conditions bike. Was actually looking at a Trance however after test riding the AC I was sold. Then the good news was it was a bunch less money. I got on mine for $840. It is well worth the $1,000 dollar price tag.
Just my opinion. Congrates on the bike. You'll like it I'm sure.