Quantcast

Thoughts on Eggbeaters

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So I used a set of Eggbeaters this weekend. Overall, I liked them very much. It took a while to get used to clipping in, but it was easy once I got the hang of it. I like the tight feeling when you're locked in. There is little float, unlike the SPD's I have been using. The Eggbeaters also took a couple of very hard licks on rocks, and survived just fine.

The only beef I have is that they are little tougher to clip out of than the SPD's (that's actually good and bad). My foot never unclipped while riding, something that does happen to me on occasion when using SPD's. However, I fell a couple of times this weekend, and when I did, my shoe stayed locked into the pedal. When I was using SPD's, my foot always unclipped when I was going down, and because of that I'd usually be able to fall nice and easy. Staying locked into the Eggbeater, the falls were a little more awkward. I probably just need to get a little more used to the Eggbeaters.

Overall, they are excellent pedals and I think I'll keep using them. :thumb:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
GOOD.

More positives.

Perhaps the cleats just need to wear in a bit. Is there an adjustment for tension on those. They're on my list.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by spincrazy

Is there an adjustment for tension on those.
I didn't see one. I probably just need to get used to them. You need to actually try to clip out of these, instead of clipping out of the SPD's with minimal effort.

Originally posted by dg806

uughhhh............how's the bike???
Got the first scratches on the new frame. :thumb: Besides that, it's fine.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Yeah, Babs, that was the main difference that I noticed with them...I was coming from SPDs as well. You get used to it really quickly though. You just have to get used to the fact that there's a specific spot where they clip out really easily. With the SPDs you can clip out easily at almost any angle...that become quite a burden at times.
Now I've gotten much more used to the 'beaters and I'm really liking them a lot. I think finding the cleat/clipping in is WAY easier than SPDs. After a couple more rides you'll find clipping out is just as easy.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Ok I think it is just a fluke but my roomate bought a pair and clipped one pretty hard. It is busted, I will see if i can take a picture of it and post it but the fixed spring is all torqued. Now again i think it is a fluke, i have sold probably 30 to 40 pairs at work and have seen no problems. My roomates lack of grace may be to blame! (it seems to break everything else):D :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
KB, I find clipping INTO the Eggbeaters is great, once you get used to it. With the SPD's, clipping in while going down a technical DH is tricky at best, and I'd occasionally have to finish the DH without clipping in. With the Eggbeaters, it's a piece of cake. Just wiggle your foot a bit, and you clip right in. :)

Rodger

Chimp
Jul 22, 2002
The Netherlands
Got them eggbeaters as well, love 'em, am now trying to
clip in the other way around, shoe front, pedal somewhere
in the middle of the shoe and move backwards. Friend of mine
(he has been using them for 6 months now) tells me that is the
easiest and fastest way. Says it feels strange cuz one is so
used to the ole fashion way of clippin in but once you are
used to it......

Btw, have no probs with clippin or gettin out.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by Rodger
...am now trying to clip in the other way around, shoe front, pedal somewhere in the middle of the shoe and move backwards....
I've been trying to figure that one out too. I've tried it a couple times, but it feels really weird. Haven't done it successfully once. Nice to know someone's done it though...guess I'll have to keep trying!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
KB, I find clipping INTO the Eggbeaters is great, once you get used to it. With the SPD's, clipping in while going down a technical DH is tricky at best, and I'd occasionally have to finish the DH without clipping in. With the Eggbeaters, it's a piece of cake. Just wiggle your foot a bit, and you clip right in. :)
I had falling over problems getting out of TIMEs, wich are similar. Same type mechanism. I think its just a re-training issue. I fall over less now :rolleyes:

T

Tenaciousle0

Originally posted by spincrazy
GOOD.

More positives.

Perhaps the cleats just need to wear in a bit. Is there an adjustment for tension on those. They're on my list.
There is no tension adjustment. I've had mine for a month now and I love 'em. They are kind of tough to clip out of, but I can always clip-out before I crash

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I have them on my road bike right now and they work great. Having a stiff carbon shoe helps a lot since they have no platform. The guys from Crank Bros stop by the shop I work at some times and from what I heard they are coming out with a full ti model. I can't wait to get my hands on one of those.

Rodger

Chimp
Jul 22, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Carbon Fetish
from what I heard they are coming out with a full ti model. I can't wait to get my hands on one of those.
As said in Heidi's thread (Egg Beater review) page 2 by Rupert (nick:Crank Brothers):

Hey guys,

I'm not supposed to say much about the Ti Beaters, I can give you some small details to get you drooling *looks over both shoulders*

ok, heres the deal.
First, what we are NOT doing.
We are NOT doing a Ti spindle and droping like 20 to 30 grams.
We are NOT going to have a weight restriction on them.

We ARE making the body out of Ti, and dropping like 90 grams.

Wahoo, lets do some math..... That makes they weigh in at around 190 grams a pair. While still being as strong as the pedals now.

we are looking at around next X-Mas to release these, Shush.

Ok, I have said to much already.

Rupert
Crank Brothers

Would make a boodahfull xmaspressie dontcha think.

Apr 11, 2002
SoCal
Hey guys,

Just popping a quick "Hello" to you all. Letting you know that I'm still around. We should be releasing some info on the Ti Beaters next week on our website. Not sure on the exact date, but I will post here as soon as the info is on the web so you guys can be the first to see it.

I think you guys are going to be blown away.

Also, any of you that are going to make it to interbike are in for a treat if you can make it by our booth.

We have been hard at work designing new stuff. I just hope we can get our prototypes in time for the show.

Rupert
Crank Brothers
949-464-9916

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Crank Brothers

Also, any of you that are going to make it to interbike are in for a treat if you can make it by our booth.

Wanna invite me as your guest?:D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

me too. you need two hotties to "turn the letters" for ya, right?
I know, we could just come dressed in Crank Brothers stickers only. :rolleyes: :p :p :p :eek: :devil:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I just got a set of Egg Beaters. I like them a lot. They feel much more solid than my Time Aliums under-foot. With the TImes I always felt like the cleat was trying to push through the sole of my shoe - as if my entire weight was supported only by the cleat. :think:

The action is very similar to Times and the transition was seamless for me.

In all, :thumb: :thumb:

Apr 11, 2002
SoCal
Going to Vegas, and having girls ask me if they can come hang out in our booth wearing nothing but stickers. :D

*Passes Out* :dead:

Could life get any better?

Well, besides the fact we work 12 hours a day each day we are there.

I wish I could invite all of you, but all our guest passes are going to people who are helping us work the show. :(

Here is a quick little teaser for you all.

190g (Pair) :eek:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Going to Vegas, and having girls ask me if they can come hang out in our booth wearing nothing but stickers. :D

*Passes Out* :dead:

Could life get any better?

Well, besides the fact we work 12 hours a day each day we are there.

I wish I could invite all of you, but all our guest passes are going to people who are helping us work the show. :(

What a tease.

Rodger

Chimp
Jul 22, 2002
The Netherlands

Wow, light stuff.
You should advise people to put some rocks in
their pockets to stop 'em from floating.

Can you GET any lighter.....

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Originally posted by tammy
Let the cleats break in a little bit - clipping out gets better after a few rides.
I hope so. Stalled out on a climb in a rock garden, couldn't unclip my left foot in time landed backwards and fractured my radius. In 5 more weeks when I get back on the bike, I hope to retrain myself on the eggbeates :confused: .

Hey Crank Bros. Care to send me a sticker for my cast? :D Hah, strictly operator error, but I like to whine!

Apr 11, 2002
SoCal
Originally posted by Spud

I hope so. Stalled out on a climb in a rock garden, couldn't unclip my left foot in time landed backwards and fractured my radius. In 5 more weeks when I get back on the bike, I hope to retrain myself on the eggbeates :confused: .

Hey Crank Bros. Care to send me a sticker for my cast? :D Hah, strictly operator error, but I like to whine!

Sure, send me an email with your address and I will see what I can do.

rupert@crankbrothers.com

This email is good for any of you, any time. Just let me know.

Rupert
Crank Brothers

Apr 11, 2002
SoCal
Originally posted by Rodger

Wow, light stuff.
You should advise people to put some rocks in
their pockets to stop 'em from floating.

Can you GET any lighter.....
My mistake, we can get lighter, and we did. 185g NOT 190, my mistake.

:D

Rupert
Crank Brothers

Rodger

Chimp
Jul 22, 2002
The Netherlands
That I cant say, but it will be expensive.

We will be releasing info on our website ether today or monday.

Rupert
Crank Brothers
BAH! You said one week the 14th, I have not been eating and
sleeping since the 21th. My facial hair is enormous by now
cuz I am sitting here behind the screen, checking yer site like
every 5 minutes. Still no news, monday I hope.

Rupert you are a cruel person, gimme a set of Ti-beaters
to settle me down, it is just the fairest thing to do.

*dreaming of being the first in the Netherlands with 'em*

Answer Rupert: yeah keep on dreaming.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Squeak
I had falling over problems getting out of TIMEs, wich are similar. Same type mechanism. I think its just a re-training issue. I fall over less now :rolleyes:
i use SPDs now and have been considering new peds. i was thinking 959s, but have been curious of times and eggbs... any suggestions between the 3?