Quantcast

Thoughts on GF Sugar2+ Disc

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What are your thoughts on the Gary Fish Sugar2+ Disc? I stumbled across it at my LBS, and it seems to have a decent spec list. Doesn't offer as much travel (max 4" in the rear) as some, but 4" should be enough for most XC trails. My biggest question would be pedalling efficience/pedal bob/whatever you want to call it.

Here's a link to the Sugar2+ Disk page.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've seen so many broken Sugars. The only people I know who haven't broken them, are small females who use them strictly for XC racing. It seems there's a major weak spot below the "b-link" on the seat tube. Also many people seem to have chainline issues with Sugars. Overall my opinion is that there are better choices out there.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmm... Everyone I know with sugars loves them - they are especially nice climbers with the Cane Creek AD10. 4" travel might be a stretch in the rear though... for an XC bike it has been well received. The guy I know the best who rides on weighs 230 and is about 6.2 - he has had his for 3 years with no issues.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have know several people who ride and love theirs. Maybe they just have a problem with the cold in Rottenchester.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
i have a gf sugar team issue and it doesnt bob at all....though it does not have the 4 inches of travel.....id have to agree though...they do break a lot....so if you want something solid and wont break i'd go with the blurr as well

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I owned a GF Sugar 2 for a while (before upgrading to a Kona Stinky :D). I'll second the bit about it having really high pedal efficiency. The only time it ever bobbed was when my Rock Shox Sid rear shock was really low on air (it tended to leak pretty profusely). However, they do have chainline issues...bigtime. I tore the paintjob up to the point where the silver of the aluminum was showing more than the white paint job in the area near the chain....had a lot of chainsuck. There are probably better bikes out there, but perhaps not for the value.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I've got a Sugar 2, and I like it. The Genesis geometry isn't for everyone, though, so get in a good demo ride before you commit. For me its a good climber and a stable descender, and its my bike of choice when I worry about getting in over my head on an unfamiliar trail. It does not excel on tight twisties, though, at least not for me.

4 inches of travel isn't enough for XC riding anymore? :confused: :rolleyes:

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
I've got a Sugar 3 Disc and love it. The chainsuck is a reality, but i have seen friends on other FS bikes have the same issue. Pedaling efficiency is ok, even with the cheapest Cane creek that I have.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I got a Sugar 3 (not the + with adj. r. travel & only 2.5").
I like mine alot. It may not be made by a cool independent frame maker but it is worth the $$$. It climbs awesome with no noticeable bob (it is the only FS i have ridden). I have done some lite urban on it & that scares me because it is flexy....so i got a BMX.

Laura has a 3+ & loves hers too.

As for the chain suck & chain line problems, I dont have any besides very occasional chain suck....but I also dont have the bontrager cranks, supposedly it helps if you swap them out with something a little better.

One thing about the genesis geometry....you got to learn to climb in the saddle....at least in my experience.

If it is a god deal & the bike feels good, I say go for it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by Echo
I've seen so many broken Sugars. The only people I know who haven't broken them, are small females who use them strictly for XC racing. It seems there's a major weak spot below the "b-link" on the seat tube. Also many people seem to have chainline issues with Sugars. Overall my opinion is that there are better choices out there.
The Sugar in question has the SYBILink.....I think...& the frame is a little different than the older model that uses the Blink....maybe they have fixed that problem. *shrug*